Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Couple of cargo questions  (Read 4266 times)

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
Couple of cargo questions
« on: December 14, 2017, 07:07:30 PM »
1. Does cargo-only aircraft need a slot?

2. Does the time of day of the flight make a difference?  Say 2 AM cargo flight vs. 2 PM cargo flight?

Offline Talentz

• Members

The person who likes this post:
Re: Couple of cargo questions
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 08:05:49 PM »
1. Does cargo-only aircraft need a slot?

2. Does the time of day of the flight make a difference?  Say 2 AM cargo flight vs. 2 PM cargo flight?

Shrimpness! Good to see you again as always ~

1. Yes,  slots are assigned as they would on a normal pax route.

2. No, cargo does not care when it flies out.

Talentz
Co-founder and Managing member of: The Star Alliance Group™ - A beta era, multi-brand alliance.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 05:33:17 PM »
Thanks Talentz.  One more:

Does cargo only aircraft affect fleet commonality?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 05:36:26 PM by JumboShrimp »

Offline Talentz

• Members

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 05:40:28 PM »
Thanks Talentz.  One more:

Does cargo only aircraft affect fleet commonality?

As far as I know, yes. The same principles apply that we have grown accustom too.

Talentz
Co-founder and Managing member of: The Star Alliance Group™ - A beta era, multi-brand alliance.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 04:47:34 AM »
One more Cargo related (I just read the manual and I don't see it addressed).

Do Tech Stops have the same effect on Cargo as they do on Pax?

Offline SP7

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 05:00:30 AM »
I have not noticed any appreciable effect on tech stopped cargo in 1968.

Offline Talentz

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 05:09:22 AM »
I have not noticed any appreciable effect on tech stopped cargo in 1968.

Myself as well. Although if competing against a non-stop flight, I would expect there to be some differences. Can't yet confirm that though.

Talentz

Online NovemberCharlie

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 08:47:18 AM »
Another question: how does cargo LF affect your company score? In my current airline there is simply not that much cargo demand, but I think of it more as an added revenue source, not as a priority in any way. So for me and my airline it is not needed, but I would be somewhat disappointed if my cargo LF would drag down my score...

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 11:32:28 AM »
Load Factor has no relevance in scoring, company image or anything.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 12:38:17 PM »
How does the allocation work with cargo?

Is it based mostly on frequency, as is pax allocation or mostly on ratio of capacity supplied?

Offline Talentz

• Members
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 11:03:13 PM »

Is it based mostly on frequency, as is pax allocation or mostly on ratio of capacity supplied?

Its a mix of both.

Cargo handles a bit differently then Pax in that its more heavily dependent on RI. It's less forgiving then pax.

As for the calculation, it handles much like AWS 1.2. Its favors frequency alot. Price is not as big a factor as some would think. There's some favoring of CI as well. It allocates to whatever is supplied. If no aircraft capable of carrying HC, HC will transfer to SC or LC, depending on whats supplied. This applies to SC and LC. Cargo shifts to whatever the supply is based off its update.

From this, we can conclude so far:

Frequency controls cargo; Pax airlines will mostly likely win on LC and SC. Unless your willing to match frequency.

HC can only be taken by LG and VLG freighter. Since cargo re-allcates to whatever is supplied, Its typical (thus far) that putting a freighter on a route can max the HC demand on that route. While pax airlines will claim most of the LC and SC, all or most of the HC will be flown by you.

Since HC is the most profitable cargo and your taking most, if not all, chances are your making more money on the cargo side then the pax airlines.

Talentz

Online dagwood

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 03:03:18 AM »
Load Factor has no relevance in scoring, company image or anything.
Hi Sami,

Do you mean both passenger LF and Cargo LF has no relevance on LF or just Cargo LF has no relevance?

Is it possible for you to tell us what does influence the score and company image? I understand from previous posts has no effect on the score.

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 04:22:06 AM »
Hi Sami,

Do you mean both passenger LF and Cargo LF has no relevance on LF or just Cargo LF has no relevance?

Is it possible for you to tell us what does influence the score and company image? I understand from previous posts has no effect on the score.

Load factor is the result of kgs of cargo transport sold divided by total available cargo kgs. It's an OUTPUT from the determination of what has been sold, rather than in INPUT.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members

The 2 people who like this post:
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2017, 09:58:47 AM »
More of a City Based Demand question:

1. Catchment Radius - is it any way to know that it is?
The airport screen could say it or show the circle, or give it to us numerically.
Or some guideline of, say what it is for given Infrastructure and traffic level.
It's kind of hard to visualize this without any guideline.

2. I have seen the Traffic go up at one of the airports.  Does infrastructure ever go up?  The highest that seems modeled in the system is 5, but do airports with lower level infrastructure ever go up?  Any chance infrastructure level to go higher than 5?

Online NovemberCharlie

• Members

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2017, 10:01:18 AM »
Was thinking about this as well. Perhaps on route planning pages a list of airports which also fall into the same catchment area (and are thus alternatives for flying a certain route)

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2017, 11:13:45 AM »
As for the calculation, it handles much like AWS 1.2. Its favors frequency alot.

I have a feeling this is not going to end very well.  (Frequency with nothing to counteract it)

For heavy cargo, it should be strictly capacity based allocation.  How many times do the dedicated cargo carriers go between 2 destinations?  My guess, in 95% + cases of cargo aircraft, they make 1 flight per day.

I could see some small advantage of other types of cargo, of > 1 per day, but allowing (encouraging) players to go crazy with frequency is a very bad idea, IMO.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2017, 11:54:16 AM »

Allocation of cargo demand to flights works on the same code/principles than passengers, with the exception that some variables are not taken into account that are not relevant for cargo. For example the dep/arr times or aircraft seat type are not included in cargo calculations.

Cargo demand does NOT shift between classes (i.e heavy cargo will not magically split into smaller cargo boxes).

More of a City Based Demand question:

1. Catchment Radius - is it any way to know that it is?

2. I have seen the Traffic go up at one of the airports.  Does infrastructure ever go up?

1) Pending the update of airport info pages, it will be shown there.
2) ref.manual & changelog; not yet.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 11:56:51 AM by Sami »

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2017, 12:12:13 PM »
Allocation of cargo demand to flights works on the same code/principles than passengers, with the exception that some variables are not taken into account that are not relevant for cargo. For example the dep/arr times or aircraft seat type are not included in cargo calculations.

Cargo demand does NOT shift between classes (i.e heavy cargo will not magically split into smaller cargo boxes).

Does the allocation take place in one pass (for all 3 classes of cargo) or on separate passes per class?

The reason I ask is that I think Heavy Cargo should be allocated mainly by capacity (and price).  Frequency should play no role.

Doing it this way would prevent the frequency / tech stopping wars with small aircraft crossing oceans.  Eliminating Frequency as a variable for allocation of Heavy Cargo would prevent all that, and it makes sense from the Real World perspective.

1) Pending the update of airport info pages, it will be shown there.

Excellent.  Just as a ballpark figure before the update is installed, what is the radius of some typical modern airports with
Infrastructure x Traffic Level of
5 x 10
5 x 9
5 x 8
5 x 7

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2017, 12:55:56 PM »
I have a feeling this is not going to end very well.  (Frequency with nothing to counteract it)

For heavy cargo, it should be strictly capacity based allocation.  How many times do the dedicated cargo carriers go between 2 destinations?  My guess, in 95% + cases of cargo aircraft, they make 1 flight per day.

I could see some small advantage of other types of cargo, of > 1 per day, but allowing (encouraging) players to go crazy with frequency is a very bad idea, IMO.

I posted some ideas for the route planning page to help with the visualization of the information presented

https://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,74722.0.html

Offline groundbum2

• Members
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2018, 01:16:54 PM »
new cargo question, GW3.

does cargo rollover from one day to the next? I'm looking to run dedicated freighters that carry 50,000Kg but some routes have daily 30,000kg heavy cargo on them. If I visited every other day, would some of the heavy cargo wait for the next days flight? I'm the only heavy cargo on the route and the distances are 5000nm or so.

Many thanks, Simon

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.