Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Tie high preforming airlines to national ecomic growth - NAP ~  (Read 493 times)

Offline Talentz

• Members

The person who likes this post:
Sami!!

So as a continuation of this thread: https://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,80969.0.html - We should model an airline's "economic" power and tie it to national economical growth (GDP).

This model would not be something created out of thin air. National airlines have a history of helping their country grow in terms of GDP. This is seen through out the known world and involves some of the biggest and well known airlines. So why can't we have that here in AWS?

I suggest a new airline based economical model called: National Airline Power (NAP). NAP would be a modifier, applied to the host nation of an Airline. This modifier would give a boost to Quarterly (or annually - W/E metric is used currently) economic growth... or GDP. This boost will be based off the performance of said Airlines against the rest of the airline industry. Airlines who out perform the top airlines globally, can then effect their nation's growth.

The formula for NAP would be simply: Top 200 airlines scores / 2 = Avg score against. Airlines who have a score better then the avg qualify for a boost to National GDP.

The levels of possible boost to GDP growth would be:

.25% - An airline who scores above the top 100 airlines globally.
.50% - An airline who scores above the top 75 airlines globally.
.75% - An airline who scores above the top 50 airlines globally.

1% - An airline who scores above the top 20 airlines globally. Otherwise, they greatly outperform other airlines based in economically superior Airports/Nations

From this, comes a potential balancing issue. Would this apply to economically rich nations and their airlines? No, of course not. It would create even more unbalanced results. So, to counter this potential issue, Airlines from the top 15 world economies would be prohibited. So the USA or Untied Kingdom and their respective airlines couldn't qualify for NAP, because they already have history in their favor.

That said, NAP would only benefit those airlines who outperform airlines from the top 15 world economies. Sounds simple... but it really isn't. Another balancing issue to address is airline age. Only established airlines (> 3yrs) can qualify for NAP. Fly by night airlines (< 3yrs)  would not.

Adding this dynamic feature alongside and with CBD-Pax, will reward players who choose smaller nations to fulfill their dreams. For too long, AWS sees the same rotation of 15 airports in the final stats at the end of a GW. Perhaps, just maybe.. we might get to see something new for a change?

Talentz
Co-founder and Managing member of: The Star Alliance Group™ - A beta era, multi-brand alliance.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members

The 2 people who like this post:
Re: Tie high preforming airlines to national ecomic growth - NAP ~
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 01:53:46 PM »
I like the idea that air transportation could affect economic growth of a country.

But I would go about it differently, in a way that would be more in line with intuitive economic expectations:

Every country has a set of CBD based squares.  Each square has a demand to all other squares.  The airlines can satisfy the demand in various degrees.

If the system could calculate periodically (1 or more times per year) how well the demand of each square is satisfied.  If the demand in the entire country very well met, the country could get a GDP growth boost.

To calculate, the squares would be weighed by their total demand.  So for example, demand square that contains Manhattan island (New York City) with 1000x demand of a square in Alaska would be weighed as 1000x of that square.

Another possibility is if we have the satisfaction rating of a square, good satisfaction rating could also provide a population growth boost to just to that square (not the whole country).

Offline tungstennedge

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 03:40:05 AM »
I really like this idea. I have only played this game a bit and have quickly realized how difficult it I to score high without starting in a major airport. It would be great to see more niche places actually grow.

Offline gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 03:34:04 PM »
I really like this idea. I have only played this game a bit and have quickly realized how difficult it I to score high without starting in a major airport. It would be great to see more niche places actually grow.

Scored 14th in Algiers, and 8th in Warsaw. I don't think I'm gonna do that well in Montpellier(but I had other objectives, like the 800 mediums achievement) or Ho-Chi-Minh-Ville.

But yes,in remote area, the game gets boring. Even in a middle sized country like Algeria, once you've locked the traffick to France and the LH few lines, there is not much you can do. Besides optimizing for scoring. IRL,I should have been able to divert a good proportion of France-to-Subsaharian Africa traffick with my hub in Algiers. But nope.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.