Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Returning to the game after several years away  (Read 1105 times)

Offline LostInBKK

• Members
Returning to the game after several years away
« on: January 20, 2020, 07:57:29 AM »
Hi Everyone,
                  I am thinking of coming back to the game. I am just wondering if I can play the game with 30 mins in the morning and 30 mins at night? Before I found you had to be online almost 247 to get aircraft.

Cheers
LostInBKK

Offline gazzz0x2z

• Members

The person who likes this post:
Re: Returning to the game after several years away
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 08:26:21 AM »
Depends on the era and the status of the game. The 5 first year of a game beginning in the 50s are usually scarce in used aircraft. Modern games - or games began since a lot of years - don't have that kind of limitations, and you can manage your growth thanks to the used market.

if you don't like long hunts for planes, avoid early games. (and avoid A320s, those are also often hard to get).

Offline sanabas

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 08:32:06 AM »
You could build a biggish airline playing 30 min/day before, you can again now. Especially if you're joining an existing world, not starting from day 1. You just have to take a look at the UM and production lines, then pick a fleet with good availability. e.g. if you join the 1997 GW, plenty of BAE-146 for medium jet, dash-8 for turboprop, DC-10 if you want LH, etc. If you join the 1950s GW, there's a practically endless supply of DC-4, but you'll get hardly any DC-6 if you just log in twice/day.

Offline LostInBKK

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 09:13:48 AM »
Depends on the era and the status of the game. The 5 first year of a game beginning in the 50s are usually scarce in used aircraft. Modern games - or games began since a lot of years - don't have that kind of limitations, and you can manage your growth thanks to the used market.

if you don't like long hunts for planes, avoid early games. (and avoid A320s, those are also often hard to get).

That is a very good point about joining games that in progress. Maybe that would be a go way for me to start playing again.  :)

Offline LostInBKK

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 09:16:11 AM »
You could build a biggish airline playing 30 min/day before, you can again now. Especially if you're joining an existing world, not starting from day 1. You just have to take a look at the UM and production lines, then pick a fleet with good availability. e.g. if you join the 1997 GW, plenty of BAE-146 for medium jet, dash-8 for turboprop, DC-10 if you want LH, etc. If you join the 1950s GW, there's a practically endless supply of DC-4, but you'll get hardly any DC-6 if you just log in twice/day.

Yes I need to be clever with aircraft selection and not chase the same aircraft the herd.

Maybe I just need to jump in

Offline gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 09:22:50 AM »
Yes I need to be clever with aircraft selection and not chase the same aircraft the herd.

Exactly. In current modern times game, I went MD88(for a 1998 start), and although they are far inferior to the A320, they proved far easier to find and fuel my growth. Maybe I should have dumped them before the 2020s, but in the 2000s, they clearly are good enough for the job - and available in numbers.

In previous GW2, beginning in 1950 was hell - no planes whatsoever. I did end up ordering a massive number of....IL12. crap plane(similar costs to CV440s/F27s, for half the capacity and third the range) - but available. Those short legs were not enough, even for the central European market(Poland), but helped me grow while my opponent was stalled. Really worth it. Also really worth scrapping as soon as F27s became available.

Offline LostInBKK

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 10:27:47 AM »
I have joined the beginners world.

Lets see how long I can survive  ;D

Thanks for all the replies

Offline deovrat

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 12:11:51 PM »
Another advise would be to try the new features in beginners world, before jumping into a proper GW at the soonest.

The beginners world gives you a false sense of security, easy profits and no harsh fleet penalties. Bankrupting in a proper GW will teach you more than playing 2 months in a BW.

Offline DanDan

• Members

The 2 people who like this post:
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 01:08:23 PM »
Hi Everyone,
                  I am thinking of coming back to the game. I am just wondering if I can play the game with 30 mins in the morning and 30 mins at night? Before I found you had to be online almost 247 to get aircraft.

Cheers
LostInBKK

what really changed is the launch-customer thing. that was terrible two years ago: you had to be online really to get the discount or even early slots. that improved a lot and took away lots of stress (at least for me), since you can get launch discount+ early slots for almost 20h after the launch. so it got much less stressful and convenient for casual players.

Online spiff23

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 07:32:00 PM »
yes...in addition to plane availibilty...there have been a lot of changes that continue to make things interesting and were a good "kick" to have to try new strategies...so getting the hang of everything new in the beginners world is a good idea.  The introduction of winds and impact on capacity are a huge change.  If you are used to scheduling a plane that has a range of 2,000nm on a route that is 1990nm and flying at full pax and cargo capacity...you'll need to learn that is now impossible.   Definitely changes some of the past dynamics about fleet choice and routes choices.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.