Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Clarification - Fuel figures  (Read 414 times)

Online MikeS

• Members
Clarification - Fuel figures
« on: January 10, 2020, 01:22:42 AM »
I am experimenting with an IL-62 and having a detailed look at some figures:

Analizing flight MC509/510 (DotM) MEX-JFK-MEX service (1817nm):
Flight time to JFK is 4:21 at 1843nm still air distance while back to MEX it is 4:56 and 2122nm
So the flight back is 15% longer and takes 13.4% more flight time (35min)

The fuel cost difference, however is 27%: $28373 vs $22340
What am I missing here? Does AWS account for the fact that the total fuel upload would be higher and the aircraft heavier? Still
the difference seems too high, no? It should be closer to 15%. The flight distance is well within the aircraft's performance specs.

Online JumboShrimp

• Members

The person who likes this post:
Re: Clarification - Fuel figures
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 01:37:02 AM »
Extra fuel that is needed for the return trip is extra weight, which in turn causes higher fuel consumption.

Also, it appears you are carrying more passengers on the return trip, so, again, more weight, higher fuel consumption.

Online MikeS

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 02:27:55 AM »
Not carrying more pax on return leg. Revenue is higher due to higher ticket prices (outbound flight is overnight so I reduced prices a bit)

Offline stealy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 07:20:25 PM »
Could it be due to headwind vs. tailwind? I think wind direction was implemented to the sim not too long ago. So headwind = higher fuel consumption?

(Just a guess tho... I am not sure.)

Edit: Also, I don't think lowering prices make any difference in LF, at least not noticeably. I actually raise prices 5-10% above suggested.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 07:23:03 PM by stealy »

Online MikeS

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 08:08:50 PM »
Yes, the head wind makes the journey ~15% longer as originally stated and that translates into higher fuel consumption. My question was whether it is reasonable to suggest 15% longer route uses 27% more fuel. I believe the difference is too high as the flight was well within normal operating performance of the aircraft (the closer to the maximum operating range the more inefficient a flight becomes).

Anyways, that flight was a test flight only. I have a set of 7xIL-62 on order and will check the figures on those when they are scheduled.

Cheers!
Mike

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 08:35:22 PM »
If I am not mistaken, the price for fuel is different at each airport--the values you see in fuel management are simply averages.  Thus, it wouldn't be unreasonable to think the prices are significantly different between the US and Mexico for that route.

Offline LemonButt

• Members

The 3 people who like this post:
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 08:46:53 PM »
Additionally, you probably have a fuel contract at your base that would make these values cheaper one-way?

Online MikeS

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 09:11:28 PM »
Additionally, you probably have a fuel contract at your base that would make these values cheaper one-way?
You are right, haven't thought about that: I have a -7.4% fuel contract at my home base. That must be it. Thanks a lot, now it makes more sense!

Love ya!
Mike

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.