Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Looking for general advice as a beginner  (Read 454 times)

Offline Sotos

• Members
Looking for general advice as a beginner
« on: January 03, 2020, 11:52:57 AM »
Hello everyone, and Happy New year!

I've started again with AWS after many years, and the Age Of Flight seems a very interesting scenario to play with. After 2 or 3 resets within the same game I think I finally did a fairly good start in MXP with a 2nd base in Napoli. Nevertheless, I'd be keen to know how more experienced players see my efforts, and also throw a few general questions.

To begin with, roughly 18 months from starting the company, profitability appears to be fairly stable on a weekly basis, and at the same time the cash flow follows a stable growth. I reckon that this is a good indication overall. CI is hovering around 50, with very slight changes, for almost 12 months in a row. Company score is green for quite some time now.

My fleet is DC-6B, a couple DC-4's, and some CV240/340 used for domestic, all leased. I've just been through C-checks for DC-6's using a "spare" a/c that I managed to snatch, and this is now put in a route as well. All a/c are profitable, some more some less.

Now let's get into routes. In general, most of them have RI > 60, with the exception of a few recently opened that are still growing with marketing campains. All routes are profitable, some more and some less. Average punctuality is at 84% and trending well, average delay is at 6 mins, and flight cancellations are always around 1.5%. I have to admit that some routes have less than optimal turnaround time than others, so I'm thinking to do some rework on them.

What I've seen in the past several weeks is that my LF% is lowering. I've been playing a bit with pricing, raising fares in routes where I hold a strong presence without competition, to maintain or raise profitability. On other routes I see a clear decline, in some of them I probably made some bad calls e.g. adding 3rd daily for AMS while the demand is more than covered by all suppliers. I think I might need to rework a few of them. I am offering C seats wherever I see a demand, even I had to reconfigure some DC-6's to adapt to less C demand. This is an area I need to dive deeper into and squeeze as much as I can.

I have now started thinking of transitioning to owned fleet. We are at the end of 1956. I'm still hesitant if I should plan the transition to jets right away, or stay on props. How would I get an advantage over my competitors? Is LF% affected in a positive way if a company introduces newer a/c?

Another area I'd like to get some advice is expansion. It looks like I don't have much room for this, as most routes are already oversupplied. I did a couple experiments, I added routes to FRA and MAD for example. MAD went so well that I quickly added a 2nd route (it was already oversupplied, I remind) and it still holds very strong. FRA is still growing but won't go too far. I do understand that frequency is what most players are recommending, but is it really making any difference in routes with 4-5 companies?

So, I hope I didn't tire you too much with my rant, and I'd really appreciate your views on the above - especially aircraft selection for growing further and route expansion and LF management. Thanks in advance!

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?

The 2 people who like this post:
Re: Looking for general advice as a beginner
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 12:12:37 PM »
My fleet is DC-6B, a couple DC-4's, and some CV240/340 used for domestic

You have some overlap here. DC-4 doesn't seem to be useful in this fleet.

Offline Sotos

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 12:24:02 PM »
You have some overlap here. DC-4 doesn't seem to be useful in this fleet.

Thanks Sami. I thought as much, it's in my plans to switch them to either CV340 or DC-6 if I can find anything in the UM.

Aside from that, any suggestion what would be a good idea to look for as game year 1957 approaches? I'm considering F27 for the short haul, but how about longer flights? I do have some longer routes to Istanbul, Antalya, Bahrain, Tehran, Cairo, Casablanca, all doing quite well with DC-6's, and can't decide if I should plan to adopt early jets -if yes, then which one?...- or aim for turboprops.

Again many thanks Sami.

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members

The 2 people who like this post:
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 12:36:34 PM »
This is a blind advice since I'm not in this GW and left current GW#2 (HaF) before the 1960s bloodbath, but from what I understood the new ESAD has changed things quite a bit and early jets are even more dangerous than before. Indeed, the DC-6 and Britannias had loooong carriers, way more than before (the introduction of cargo od the performance of these birds' variants in this domain also helped).

Thus, I would quietly and happily stick to the DC-6 for now, wait and see how things go. It takes quite a long time for the 727 to get off the ground, so in my opinion the real changer is the 737.

(However, to be noted, the recent rework of the consumption has lead to some interesting things amongst early jets)

Now, for your regional ops, you could stick to the CV 440 for a little longer and wait for the NAMC or HS 748, or you could go straight over to the F.27 or Viscount, that's up to you. But the effective reduction in operational range makes the Viscount more attractive than before.

Offline Sotos

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 12:47:24 PM »
Many thanks for the reply!

Thus, I would quietly and happily stick to the DC-6 for now, wait and see how things go. It takes quite a long time for the 727 to get off the ground, so in my opinion the real changer is the 737.
Thanks for this piece of advice. Would you recommend to buy up my leased DC-6's? Or look at new DC-7's?

Now, for your regional ops, you could stick to the CV 440 for a little longer and wait for the NAMC or HS 748, or you could go straight over to the F.27 or Viscount, that's up to you. But the effective reduction in operational range makes the Viscount more attractive than before.
I was also thinking between F.27 and Viscount, still undecided though...

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 01:15:58 PM »
Mah... At that point, you're in no major LH airport, stick to the DC-6 and call it a day, you'll save yourself some work. And yes, I think you could buy them.
Also worth to note: there might be some interesting cargo to be flown from MXP, though probably only to the main cargo areas at this point (Japan, US, HKG). If you decide to do so, the DC-6A (converted) is better than the BF (factory).

As for the prop, can't help you ;)
Don't dismiss the NAMC, though, it has good capacity, can have some C seats (like the VV, but unlike the F.27), and it's range extension is pretty good, thus you can configure it in Std rather than HD, like I usually do with the VV. However its costs are way lower than those of the VV (only 2 pilots, only 2 engines).

Offline gazzz0x2z

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 02:18:17 PM »
viscounts are perfect for low-density, long range area; like my current game in Vietnam in HaF(year is 1995 and I didn't get rid of all of them yet). Italy is high-cost, high-density, and the need for range is not as dire. Therefore, F27s or NAMC seems good choices. CV440s can be keepers for a long time, as well.

just don't buy your DC6s if they are already old.

Online schro

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2020, 03:39:47 PM »
just don't buy your DC6s if they are already old.

To add to this, DC6's (and other props of the era) don't age well at all. Once they get into their late teens they become more expensive to maintain than they do to own, so I'd only buy DC6's under 10 years old* - otherwise, short term leasing until the next D (or C) check is the way to go here.

*Even then, committing to DC6's for that long may not pay out well.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.