Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: New Player - Few questions!  (Read 598 times)

Offline cjw1990

• Members
New Player - Few questions!
« on: November 15, 2019, 07:39:24 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Thoroughly enjoying the game so far but i just have a few questions. Apologies if these are covered elsewhere but i've been through the manual and some forum posts to try and find the answers and i'm sure some of these will seem really simple to you all:

1. What is the benefit of not including cargo on a route? It seems like whether i have the cargo option or not, I'm still limited to the same number of passengers (obviously) so is there any downside to allowing cargo on a route?
2. If my flight lands at 23:50 does this gain the 23:55-05:55 penalty? On my scheduler it crosses over past midnight but given this is the 'stopover' time then does this impact?
3. Occasionally in the used aircraft section there are planes that seem insanely cheap and i can't spot why it might be. When i compare an equivalent plane, sometimes the one with better condition etc still are being sold much cheaper - am i missing something?
4. How often do LF update, is it every game day?
5. When looking at whether 'a flight is doing what it should be doing' e.g. enough passengers, right price, overall good service etc, is there an overall thing i should be looking at? Essentially i'm a bit swamped with all the data and finding it hard to know whether things are good or bad.

Think that's it for now but i'm sure i'll have loads more questions as time goes on, thanks in advance!

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members

The 2 people who like this post:
Re: New Player - Few questions!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 10:24:52 PM »
1. no benefit.
2. 2300-2355 is not exactly hell, it is more like a purgatory.  If you have no better choice, the time window is not the worst.  Also, if you are going to use one of the less than ideal times, it is better to use it for arriving, rather than departing time
3. it is random.  Some aircraft may be better deal than other aircraft posted at the same time.  There is initial price (random) for UM, and then, when the aircraft stays on UM without getting sold, the price gradually declines.
4. Your own LF, on Routes page updates daily.  Also on individual flights.  As far as competitors' LF, semi-monthly
5. Manage Routes is a good place to check these things.  You can also group by destination.

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members

The 3 people who like this post:
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 07:07:32 AM »
Beware of JS's answer on point 5. While true, it's a bit incomplete.
The "manage routes" page gives you a good overall view, but doesn't include salaries and other overhead costs. Same for the result of individual planes.
Thus, you should take X from this result to have the "true" result. And X is to define depending on your airlines specificities (country and salaries level, daily use of your planes, etc.)

Offline cjw1990

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 11:26:15 AM »
Thanks both, much appreciated :)!

Offline cjw1990

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 12:09:36 PM »
Sorry me again, this might be slightly harder to answer but..

What do you typically do in a game day? What are the standard things you check, adjust, research etc. Just concerned i'm missing some basics of things that will help get things more steady!

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members

The 2 people who like this post:
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 12:36:26 PM »
Well, it really depends. And it depends on a lot of things.

When I'm starting my airline, as I assume you do right now, I check quite a lot of stuff.
 - my cashflow, to know if I can expand or should pause things for some time
 - the upcoming C and D checks, to know if I have some high costs coming (for a young airline)
 - my results, see if things improve, if performance is as expected
 - at what point my RIs are, which is fairly important at the beginning, as your new routes are a fairly substantial part of all your routes, and low-RI routes might cost you some money
 - what my competitors are doing, ie if I'm facing some counter-offensive from a better established airline
 - my LFs, to know if I can milk pax on this or that route, which is (again) very important at the start as every dollar counts
 - make a proper study of markets I don't cover yet, to know which future plane might be adequate

And probably a good dozens other things.

However once your airline is up an running, I check much less things, keep an eye but not much more, except when I'm about to make a move.

Offline gazzz0x2z

• Members

The 3 people who like this post:
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 07:22:16 AM »
Important are also the things you don't do on a regular basis. But doing them once in a while can be the difference between life and death.

_mapping the demand : once every 5 or 10 years, I do check any possible destinations from my airport, and I see if it would be worth adding a line. Everything is written down.

_resetting prices - especially important in the ancient times when inflation is important. At least every 2 years, reset your prices - and adjust them to your ticket policy(pro-tip : the game is not that friendly to low-cost companies).

_analyzing competition. Especially when you still have some out of base capability, and your current airports are full full full. Somtimes, the local behemoth with 45% of local traffic is in heavy financial difficulty. It might be worth planning routes against his before he bankrupts. because if you wait for him to bankrupt, everyone is gonna jump on the free space. Better take the free space while it's not free yet...and deter others from coming. Only works for companies already doomed, never attack healthy or even semi-healthy companies.(of course, the definition of doomed may vary, I once attacked a company with 9% of margin...but with 80 brand new leased A350 on order, on a market unable to sustain them - he killed himself with excessive lease costs, and I got the place for me alone, after a few years of patient waiting time and low profit).

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.