Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Demand questions  (Read 608 times)

Offline GoldenCobra

• Members
Demand questions
« on: October 24, 2019, 12:31:49 AM »
Heyo, I switched to this game from Airline Empires and I am having much better experience here so far, but I have a few questions about demand, because I don't believe that this game lacks something, that simple free-to-play AE has, so maybe I am just dumb enough and I haven't figured it out yet. Is there a weekly demand mechanism in the game? It seems kinda weird to fly every route daily and it forces me to have more types of aircrafts (can't fly route with 50pax demand every other day with Y100 aircraft, but I need to have Y50 aircraft in my fleet as well). Also, is the connections via hub implemented, so with growing route network grows the actual demand on the other routes from the hub as well? I found some topics related to this, but they are all decade old, so I am not sure, whether they are still actual. Cheers.

Offline Andre090904

• Members

The person who likes this post:
Re: Demand questions
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 12:53:49 AM »
Hi there,

Sami (owner/designer) is surely in a better position to comment on that. But here you go. No, there is no weekly demand mechanism in place. You will have to decide which aircraft types to use. Usually, it's impossible to cover everything from small regional flights to ultra longhaul or cargo flights for example. The larger the airport, the more difficult the fleet choice becomes. This makes the game interesting, though, because there can be different airlines at the same airport that can co-exist right next to eacher other without interfering much. In other words: Lots of tactics/strategies to survive/apply pressure.

I am afraid there are no connecting passengers (yet?). Sami has posted some calculations, ideas etc., but there is nothing too specific I would know. Current emphasis is the city-based demand so that demand is not static on a airport-to-airport level, but becomes flexible on a region-to-region level. So airlines based in Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, Luton or London City would actually share most of the demand pool and compete with one another. Connecting passengers are something I am sure we will see sooner or later and it would give the game lots of more depth, agreed.

Offline GoldenCobra

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 02:17:47 AM »
Thanks! I understand your point, but on the other hand, it's kinda funny to see those small aircraft operating lower demand routes at airports like Heathrow daily, instead of flying those with bigger aircraft and using less slots. Must be hard for Sami to find a compromise between realism and playability tho. Definitely looking forward to city-based demand.

Offline Andre090904

• Members

The 4 people who like this post:
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 04:21:50 AM »
Yep, in the end it's tactics. You will see many bigger airports being "slot-locked" in the first few years of a gameworld. The idea is that many players will use smaller planes to grab as many slots as possible and thus make it more difficult for other players to get slots and thus expand. However, slots are often expensive. So in the end it's a strategy question. Do I go for lots of slots but slow growth or less slots, but higher capacities? It's a gamble.

Later on (once the airlines are established and most competitors gone), it gets less interesting slot-wise. Still, an airline flying smaller planes out of Heathrow may actually become very profitable and succesful. Assuming that the big player in Heathrow is flying larger jets for longhaul or international flights (say 777, 767, 737 for example), a smaller airline could easily opt for E-Jets, Q400 etc. to serve smaller demands - without the big player having any chance to do anything about it. So in the end everyone has a niche.

Not sure which gameworld you are playing, but if you have a look at ORD in game world 2 ("History and the Future"), there are 3 major airlines there at the moment. One is doing exclusively cargo flights, one is flying longhaul and one is flying exclusively domestic flights. They all get along well and are all really profitable. There is breathing space for everyone involved. It gets a bit tougher during a fuel crisis of course, but in the end none of the 3 airline is clearly winning over another. Everyone has its own road to success somehow. So what matters in such a case is fleet planning and observation. Who will when change fleets or adapt another strategy? For example, I am the only airline flying medium planes and can therefore serve medium airports (the other airlines fly "large" and "very large" aircraft and cannot fly to these destinations). My monopoly. Yet I have no longhaul fleet and the other airlines have their monopoly there.

The issue is you cannot (or at least should not) have more than 3 fleet types at a time because otherwise it really gets expensive in terms of commonality costs. So the question is: Which 3 fleet types do I use and how do I do my transitions when a game world lasts about 80 years? Do I leave my 3rd fleet type open for transitions or do I make full use of them? Or do I risk a 4th fleet type and pay more (lower margins)? If I use (for example) ATR and MD80 I can cover everything in the US from medium airports to the big airports, but I am lacking a longhaul plane. If I use MD80 and 767 I can fly to big domestic airports and longhaul routes, but might miss a lot of the smaller airports. If I use MD80, 767 AND ATR I can fly everything, but the next transition will be tough because I would have 4 fleets at a time.

You see, it's all about fleet choice. Small planes in big airports may look weird, but there is a reason why it works. And yes, I have 300 NAMC flying out of ORD in 1986...

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.