Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: my 2cents  (Read 405 times)

Offline Grant Airways

• Members
my 2cents
« on: February 14, 2019, 02:08:35 PM »
hey guys, i'm in the beginners world, but there is an airline there that has been there for along time.  every route that is possible has been taken by him with max capacity of flights for the passengers to every destination.  He is very well established and has been here for 1655 days.

My question is, how do I learn this game when there are clearly players that are not new in the beginners world or am i missing the point?   

I love the concept of this game and very happy to found it.

Cheers.

Offline Zobelle

• Members
Re: my 2cents
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 02:09:48 PM »
hey guys, i'm in the beginners world, but there is an airline there that has been there for along time.  every route that is possible has been taken by him with max capacity of flights for the passengers to every destination.  He is very well established and has been here for 1655 days.

My question is, how do I learn this game when there are clearly players that are not new in the beginners world or am i missing the point?   

Cheers.

Find their weakness. How deep are you looking?

Offline Grant Airways

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 02:14:10 PM »
well Im a beginner,   what ways could i get into a market that is already at max capacity or flooded? 

Not being a smart arse, just wanting to learn  :)

Offline gazzz0x2z

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 02:24:15 PM »
there are 2 ways of fightin other players(and you can also flee where they are not) :

(1) T-Rexing. Crushing your opponent under the might of your finances. Availalbe only when you're the big boy. Usually frowned upon by the admin. Big boys should fight between them, not against small fishes.
(2) Ankle biting. Flying smaller aircraft where they still make sense, and steal market share by filling your smaller aircraft while they are not full anymore.

of course, considering what you say, you should aim for number 2. Let's say you play in LHR, and the line to CDG has 1500 demand(random numbers, demand varies from game to game). your opponents have landed 10 150-seaters. Demand is 100% covered. Are you doomed? Oooooh nope. On such a short route, even a 50 seater can do the job. Let's say you are more conservative and fly a 75-seater(like the Q400NG). You can fly 10 times a day, have full planes, and see your opponents's profit wither.

It's called the frequency effect. There are plenty of mechanisms that limit it, but if you limit yourself to 2 flights max per destination, with a smaller plane, you can fill your birds even if the demand is already filled. I've seen 300 demand routes with 1200 seats, and it lasted for years. The bigger your plane on such routes, the more money you lose.

One of the exception is the "too small penalty". i.e., I can fly a MAX7 between FRA & JFK, but passengers are going to favor bigger, more comfortable planes on such a big route.

Offline gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 02:25:53 PM »
well Im a beginner,   what ways could i get into a market that is already at max capacity or flooded? 

choose another market? You don't need to go where the big boys are. Smaller markets are usually less competitive. In a beginner's world, something like Detroit of Copenhagen should be big enough to have fun, and small enough to avoid too much competition(in real games, it's another matter)

Online JumboShrimp

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 02:49:18 PM »

Cheers.

If you are a beginner, just start at an airport that does not have any other players.

It takes quite a bit of skill to dislodge an entrenched opponent, and probably it is not the type of game you want to play as your first game.

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members

The 3 people who like this post:
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 07:40:48 AM »
New players tends to want the sky right away. Don't know where you based, but the other's comments are valid.

Basing in LHR CDG, JFK, etc. when you're unexperienced is usually not very productive. Ok, you'll taste competition, but you'll probably go BK quite fast and won't have time to learn in other fields: scheduling, pricing, plane-type planning, etc.

So to start with, a 2nd or 3rd tier airport is usually much better: it surely is less prestigious, but you'll be able to make mistakes without necessarily dying from them. And slowly you can move up the ladder. I personally trained from 2 weeks in a BW in Venezia, then moved to a "real" GW, but in Xian, China, a relatively small place. Then Moscow, and was able to set up a massive airline scoring in the top (but still not the most competition-filled place) and now Singapore.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.