Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Adjustments to cargo pricing? Or demand?  (Read 309 times)

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members

The person who likes this post:
Adjustments to cargo pricing? Or demand?
« on: January 06, 2019, 02:50:50 PM »
Hi,

in GW#2, the cargo main handler was founded in 1998 and in just a few years time managed to grow like crazy. Right now, he has a cash fund of $ 620 billions.
I have nothing against this player, but gathering such a sum in so little time is properly absurd, in my opinion.

I have no clear idea about what should be done (and if something should be done), but I wanted to raise the idea and ask your opinions.

Arthur

Edit: to back this kind of "issue", we can consider the fact that HKG is at 22.2 millions tons per year, while the volume handled by the 2nd largest cargo airport, LAX, is "only" at 8.9 millions...
IRL, HKG (ranking 1st) is at 4.8 while the 2nd (Memphis) is at 4.3 (2017 figures).
Not really here to highlight the "fake" figures of AWS (adapted to make the game interesting), but rather the extra buff HKG gets.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 11:12:28 AM by Tha_Ape »

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
Re: Adjustments to cargo pricing? Or demand?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 11:21:12 AM »
The player just needs a competitor, or he needs to get bored.  Problem solved.  ;)

Re: LAX, did you add all of the airports in LAX catchment area or is this LAX alone?

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 05:44:30 PM »
The guy HAS a competitor. And the competitor is the 3rd largest cargo airline in the GW.
-> 2 airlines based only in the very same airport manage to trust rank 1 and 3...

LAX: counted only LAX. One player will not open bases in every L-A area's airport just in order to get all the demand of the area - that would be counter-productive. My input was to show the pure potential of an airport, not the one of an area (plus, HKG is an area, as cargo doesn't cross frontiers yet - you would have to add Guangzhou, Macao and Shenzen...).

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 08:20:17 PM »
The guy HAS a competitor. And the competitor is the 3rd largest cargo airline in the GW.
-> 2 airlines based only in the very same airport manage to trust rank 1 and 3...

LAX: counted only LAX. One player will not open bases in every L-A area's airport just in order to get all the demand of the area - that would be counter-productive. My input was to show the pure potential of an airport, not the one of an area (plus, HKG is an area, as cargo doesn't cross frontiers yet - you would have to add Guangzhou, Macao and Shenzen...).

It seems each game has some tweaks / refinements to the demand.  And also, how it gets distributed throughout, say LAX catchment area.  For example, GW1 has a player with a large cargo operation in one of the secondary airports.

In GW3, LAX is still #1 cargo airports, ahead of HKG, and it is 2009.  I am surprised how far ahead of NYC area the LAX area is in GW3...

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 09:05:15 PM »
It seems each game has some tweaks / refinements to the demand.  And also, how it gets distributed throughout, say LAX catchment area.  For example, GW1 has a player with a large cargo operation in one of the secondary airports.

In GW3, LAX is still #1 cargo airports, ahead of HKG, and it is 2009.  I am surprised how far ahead of NYC area the LAX area is in GW3...

The 2nd largest cargo airline is HQed in LAX. The only other airline in the cargo top 20 with a base in L-A area is 18th (based in LGB).

But if every GW's tweaks are so strong, I wonder how one could choose his starting airport accordingly? Should I start a mega-cargo airline tomorrow, I'd immediately think "HKG". But then you play and you discover it's not the biggest? ???

Plus, what I mentioned was:
 - the wide difference between n°1 and 2 (x2.5)
 - the absurd money made by an airline that has a very strong competitor -> how can one ever be defeated with so much money?
      -> Cactus (largest airline in the GW, 2nd largest cargo operator) has 2300 a/c but "only" 320 billions in the bank.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 09:09:28 PM by Tha_Ape »

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 09:30:10 PM »
The 2nd largest cargo airline is HQed in LAX. The only other airline in the cargo top 20 with a base in L-A area is 18th (based in LGB).

But if every GW's tweaks are so strong, I wonder how one could choose his starting airport accordingly? Should I start a mega-cargo airline tomorrow, I'd immediately think "HKG". But then you play and you discover it's not the biggest? ???

Plus, what I mentioned was:
 - the wide difference between n°1 and 2 (x2.5)
 - the absurd money made by an airline that has a very strong competitor -> how can one ever be defeated with so much money?
      -> Cactus (largest airline in the GW, 2nd largest cargo operator) has 2300 a/c but "only" 320 billions in the bank.

Well, current GW1 and GW2 were the first full games with cargo, then came the previous GW3, then the current GW3.  So I would look at the current GW3 as where the system is, with the most up to date demand and economics stats.

Re: Cactus in GW2 - I don't think he has been playing actively for months, due to illness and move(s).

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members

The 2 people who like this post:
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 09:48:25 PM »
Well, current GW1 and GW2 were the first full games with cargo, then came the previous GW3, then the current GW3.  So I would look at the current GW3 as where the system is, with the most up to date demand and economics stats.

Yeah, I'll ask in Sky, but if you can provide me some intel on the GWs you're playing/played, that'd be cool, thanks.

Re: Cactus in GW2 - I don't think he has been playing actively for months, due to illness and move(s).

True, didn't notice. Plenty of recent planes (up to 4.5 years old) not renewing the old ones. Though he logged in today. I thought that he was on the healing way. Crap...
Warren, if you read this, all the best!

Offline Talentz

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 10:55:26 PM »

Sounds about right. GW1 is/will be the first long game, start to finish with CBD-Cargo.

Talentz
Co-founder and Managing member of: The Star Alliance Group™ - A beta era, multi-brand alliance.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.