Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: SUGGESTION: Create new routing type  (Read 586 times)

Offline EmilyHampstead

• Members
SUGGESTION: Create new routing type
« on: December 19, 2018, 03:44:56 AM »
Some women might look deep into Google whenever they search 'airline simulation games' - I'd rather choose AirwaySim. Not only is it full of ideas that have existed in other airline simulation games, but also, full of new ideas. That's why it'd be great if you could add another routing type to AirwaySim, which is 111-AAA-BBB-CCC-DDD-EEE-FFF-GGG-HHH-III-JJJ-KKK-LLL-MMM-NNN-OOO-PPP-QQQ-RRR-SSS-TTT-UUU-VVV-WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ-111, with 111 being the chosen base airport, AAA being an airport in Armenia, BBB being an airport in Belgium, CCC being an airport in Canada, DDD being an airport in the Dominican Republic, EEE being an airport in Estonia, FFF being an airport in France, GGG being an airport in Guam, HHH being an airport in Hungary, III being an airport in Ireland, JJJ being an airport in Japan, KKK being an airport in Kazakhstan, LLL being an airport in Latvia, MMM being an airport in Malaysia, NNN being an airport in Namibia, OOO being an airport in Oman, PPP being an airport in the Philippines, QQQ being an airport in Qatar, RRR being an airport in Romania, SSS being an airport in Scotland, TTT being an airport in Turkey, UUU being an airport in Uruguay, VVV being an airport in Venezuela, WWW being an airport in the Western Sahara, XXX being an airport in the United States, YYY being an airport in Yemen, and ZZZ being an airport in Zambia.

The aircraft would need to be an A380/B747 for this type of routing.

-Emily (age 14 3/4)

Offline Zobelle

• Members

The 2 people who like this post:
Re: SUGGESTION: Create new routing type
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 03:51:46 AM »
Not sure why, but this reminds me of this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x88Z5txBc7w

Online APTamas

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 01:22:12 PM »
If you look at the real world, this would work only in the world, but introducing cargo airline features in the game worlds is not a bad idea.

(Please check your personal messages because I've sent you some being your mentor :))

Offline Tuckernut

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 01:30:36 AM »
Emily—Welcome to AirwaySim.  People are very generous about sharing knowledge and strategy.  I know your frustration about always having to return to your base.  Having flown for a major international airline for 40+ years the routing you suggest more realistically is what an airline does.  Aircraft routing at an airline is a science.  One bad snowstorm and you have airplanes and crews all out of position.  In the old days it all had to be untangled by hand but now it is all computerized.  A typical aircraft routing today is about 7 to 10 days before it returns to its base and A and B checks are handled downline.  But stick to it, have fun, declare bankruptcy if things go south but enjoy the challenge.

GrayAnderson

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 02:21:06 PM »
Even avoiding such insanity as the above would be to program by hand (we'd need a new interface for handling the timetable), I *do* wish there were the ability to run non-technical-stop multi-stop flights (which were, of course, quite common in the first 2-3 decades of the simulation period since plenty of aircraft couldn't do IDL-LAX in one go.

Of course, I also wish there were modeling of connecting passengers (which from what I read we might get at some point) and some other "network effects" as well as some ability to work away from a mandatory hub-and-spoke model.  But such are the limitations of the game.

Offline schro

• Members

The 2 people who like this post:
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 03:30:14 PM »
Even avoiding such insanity as the above would be to program by hand (we'd need a new interface for handling the timetable), I *do* wish there were the ability to run non-technical-stop multi-stop flights (which were, of course, quite common in the first 2-3 decades of the simulation period since plenty of aircraft couldn't do IDL-LAX in one go.

The ability to run continuing flight segments was removed when the ability to open a base was added quite a long time ago. I would suggest being careful what you wish for from a competition perspective should those floodgates reopen. Back then, the system was (and still is) every flight segment on its own. So you'd see people create bases in various places, like LAX or LHR, by bouncing every single flight from their base on to their pseudo hub. Examples being HQ in ATL. All domestic flights would be routed ATL-XXX-LAX and international would largely be ATL-XXX-LHR.

Offline spiff23

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 04:55:03 AM »
The ability to run continuing flight segments was removed when the ability to open a base was added quite a long time ago. I would suggest being careful what you wish for from a competition perspective should those floodgates reopen. Back then, the system was (and still is) every flight segment on its own. So you'd see people create bases in various places, like LAX or LHR, by bouncing every single flight from their base on to their pseudo hub. Examples being HQ in ATL. All domestic flights would be routed ATL-XXX-LAX and international would largely be ATL-XXX-LHR.

Not to mention you could make someone mad and then wake up one day and find an alliance decided to make your base its unofficial hub with 100s of planes funneling in from all their bases and covering your network and more. It did teach some valuable skills, but multi-city routing is a can of worms.  It would be interesting to be able to do multi-city scheduling linked to your bases....say ORD-dsm-DEN-dsm-ORD (ORD and DEN being the bases).

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.