Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Is this game better than AirlineSim?  (Read 5381 times)

JohnLiam

• Former member
Is this game better than AirlineSim?
« on: May 14, 2018, 06:53:13 PM »
I spent half a month on AirlineSim and honestly, I'm very disappointed with their demand system. The pax there can pay 300% of the original price as long as you can treat them royalty. I wanted a sim where pax also values low price over services. AirlineSim's got no marketing mechanism too. So in your opinion, what's more complete>

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members

The 2 people who like this post:
Re: Is this game better than AirlineSim?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 07:44:10 PM »
I looked at that game (AirlineSim) recently.

I couldn't quite figure out if this is a game I played once or different.  But it had the same "feature" - more like Achilles Heel - of being "real time", where 20+ hour flight to Far East takes 20+ real hours to complete.  So that's pretty bad.

Here, at AWS, a day takes approx 30 minutes to complete.  So you cam start small end end up with 1000+ aircraft airline...

JohnLiam

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 07:45:59 PM »
Is it possible to create a low-cost airline here? Since in AirlineSim, its not possible with their pax mechanism.

Offline schro

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 07:51:23 PM »
Is it possible to create a low-cost airline here? Since in AirlineSim, its not possible with their pax mechanism.

Depends on how you define low cost. Ticket prices are all inclusive here, so you're not going to do the low farecarrier thing so much (i.e. by unbundling/etc). As far as low cost goes, you drive your costs down through how you run your airline - aircraft selection, how you schedule your planes, the routes you fly, etc.  The result of running a better operation allows either a higher profit margin or a lower price.

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 08:05:11 PM »
TBH, it's not really possible to run a low cost airline in AWS. At least not the European model (which is a tad different from the US one).
Sami (the game's daddy) has it on its to-do list, but there are more important features coming first.

The toying you can have with the pricing is indeed marginal, and the interesting part lays above recommended price, not under it.

Still, I have a lot of fun playing this game, and I don't feel frustrated by this drawback (sure, would be great to have it, but there's so much already that I'm still busy trying to figure out all the rest).

Offline schlaf

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 08:44:33 PM »
TBH, it's not really possible to run a low cost airline in AWS. At least not the European model (which is a tad different from the US one).

In what way is the models in AWS diffrent in US than Europe?

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 08:58:23 PM »
Fares are proportionally way lower in Europe when compared to classic airlines.
Like 40 or 50 euros (~50-60$) for an ORY-FCO round trip, stuff like that. Vs 150 at least for Air France or Alitalia.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 09:00:53 PM by Tha_Ape »

Offline schlaf

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 09:08:01 PM »
Like 40 or 50 euros (~50-60$) for an ORY-FCO round trip, stuff like that. Vs 150 at least for Air France or Alitalia.

I understood wrong, I thought you meant that the us and europe is diffrent programed in AWS...        *Tired, time for bed*

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 09:09:39 PM »

Yet once you factor in the average of fare classes and ancillary fees, suddenly those airlines are on a lot more equal footing with repeat to average ticket price.

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 10:09:08 PM »
Yet once you factor in the average of fare classes and ancillary fees, suddenly those airlines are on a lot more equal footing with repeat to average ticket price.

Depends on what you call ancillary fees. A drink or a snack? Sure. The more expensive bus ticket because the airport is further away? Not always (Easyjet is based in main airports as well, and if you fly to a secondary city, there usually is only one airport there). Luggage? Depends, also. If you take Wizzair fidelity program (30€/year), you got a belly luggage for 5€, so if you travel a lot with them, the cost/unit is quite low.

So in the end, no, it's still quite cheaper. The customer service and accommodation are sure crappy as hell. But as far as we're talking of short hops, that's fine (for me, at least).

Oh, just one absurd example, 2 years ago, back from Mexico, change in FRA, with Lufthansa. Lost my connection. Next FRA-CDG was at... 600€! For a 45 mins hop. And the day after. Sure, dynamic pricing, that's what you want to think about after 10hrs in the air... Well, I took a bus, 14€, got home earlier.
While a last minute ticket on a lowcost carrier will rise as well, it will never reach those levels.

Offline Helix

• Members
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 04:09:51 AM »
The pax there can pay 300% of the original price as long as you can treat them royalty.

This is the largest problem they have in their demand system. Players are creating ridiculous cabin layouts where an A320 for example is filled with 90 high class seats and tickets priced accordingly. This reduces the overall supply but demand is still based on real statistics so there have to be more flights to carry all these passengers. This in turn causes high demand for slots which is why nearly every larger airport is slot locked.

So in your opinion, what's more complete>

I like AirlineSim for the ability to establish a hub off the main airports through connections and this is the only reason I play it on and off. Once Airwaysim has city based demand running for passengers and the ability to have connections I'd say Airwaysim will be far superior based on:
how the maintenance system works compared to theirs
how late night departures affect demand negatively
non-real time / playing through different times for more gameplay diversity
the sheer amount of available aircraft
city based demand itself

JohnLiam

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 06:53:38 AM »
I'm very close to switching to AWS.

One last question.
Is it also possible to make passengers pay for the in-flight services? In AirlineSim, you really can't. Which is a bummer.

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2018, 07:14:52 AM »
Nope. All included (taxes, luggage, meal - or the lack of it - etc.).
You can check the details by trying a beginners world (BW), you got a free trial for one week and this will give you access to all the features (only the settings are different).

Offline Zobelle

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 07:48:57 AM »
I'm very close to switching to AWS.

One last question.
Is it also possible to make passengers pay for the in-flight services? In AirlineSim, you really can't. Which is a bummer.

An unfortunate circumstance.
I've put in the request to charge for luggage since we have cargo now but it hasn't gone anywhere.

Offline yearofthecactus

• Members

The 3 people who like this post:
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 08:05:28 AM »
Zo, additional revenue from baggage would result in:

1. Unnecessary extra micromanagement for something that is already factored into ticket price

2. A lowering of base pax ticket prices to compensate (as with cargo), you don't get something for nothing and the net result would be the same.

3. Something that is un-necessary from a real life perspective as well. You know, until recently baggage fees weren't even a thing in most of the world except the US. The rise of the low cost carriers has brought that trend to the Europe as well, but even in Canada, the switch to charging for baggage only happened since I moved here in 2014, and it's still included in the ticket price on all long haul.

This game runs from 1950-2036, there's no point creating more complications'segmentation for something with no benefit, and a tenuous correlation to real life.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 08:55:24 AM by yearofthecactus »

JohnLiam

• Former member
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 08:38:29 AM »
An unfortunate circumstance.
I've put in the request to charge for luggage since we have cargo now but it hasn't gone anywhere.

How about passenger meals?

Offline Luperco

• Members

The 2 people who like this post:
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 08:54:20 AM »
AirlineSim is a great game. I've played there for more than one year. Has some great features that I would like to see in AWS:

• pax transfer so that is possibile to create an hub
  • the possibility to check other companies prices with a reservation board so that you have a better understanding on what's happening to your flights
  • the possibility to evaluate an aircraft convenience on a route before buy the plane and open the route
  • the possibility to edit the seven day schedule in one page
  • onboard services
  • maintenance system that doesn't involve too much micromanagement like here

Anyway what  mainly make me prefer AWS is the fact the AirlineSim is in real time. So a game is a sandbox where nothing really happen. No historical planes, no fuel or economic variation, etc. At the end it became boring. Some games are there from 2007  :o

There are other things the I like of the game, For example the fact that you have to schedule a transfer flight if you want change the base of a plane, or slots limitation for arrivals or effective code share agreements. But those features don't make big differences in my opinion.

There is also the possibility to create subsidiary companies, but I never tried it.

The interface of AirlineSim is a little confusing but, in my opinion, requires less clicks than AWS (for example to evaluate the routes demand).

For what I know, some features that AWS is missing are on the todo list.
Saluti
Emanuele

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 09:15:49 AM »
How about passenger meals?

Not modeled. And you cannot choose how strong you brew the coffee either :laugh:
As said before, there an all-inclusive pricing. You have control on this one, but that's all.
If you're focussed on onboard service, then know this is not the strong point of AWS.
Very good game indeed, but more focused on plane use, strategies, operational costs, long term planning, etc.
Probably a larger scale - can't control onboard service pricing with micro-management on 1000 A/Cs.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 09:17:51 AM by Tha_Ape »

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2018, 10:18:15 AM »
Not modeled. And you cannot choose how strong you brew the coffee either :laugh:

If you're focussed on onboard service, then know this is not the strong point of AWS.

There must be a restaurant simulation game out there to accommodate this need.

Offline wilian.souza2

• Members
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 01:01:51 PM »
AirlineSim is a great game. I've played there for more than one year. Has some great features that I would like to see in AWS:

• pax transfer so that is possibile to create an hub
  • the possibility to check other companies prices with a reservation board so that you have a better understanding on what's happening to your flights
  • the possibility to evaluate an aircraft convenience on a route before buy the plane and open the route
  • the possibility to edit the seven day schedule in one page
  • onboard services
  • maintenance system that doesn't involve too much micromanagement like here

There's also a point that I found interesting when I saw the game previews - some kind of class restriction for aircrafts - like, you can't fly a very small aircraft from one big airport to another big airport, for example - which I find very effective in preventing route spamming that is kind of common here. And there's also the stock market feature. The only points that I didn't like, and made me ultimately not play it, was the real time simulation and its price!

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.