Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Changelog and Previews comment thread  (Read 22690 times)

Offline Andre090904

• Members
Re: Changelog and Previews comment thread
« Reply #380 on: June 09, 2019, 04:42:45 PM »
You should not expect a total slot availability at all hours during the day. Especially if the airport is one of the popular ones. (in several current game worlds the slot numbers are artificially high, but it's a fine balance of being too limiting or too generous)

Agreed. But then again let's assume ORD had 100 slots now in GW2 (73 less than it has currently). This would mean it would be totally slot locked except night times. I am sure this can't be it either?

Offline deovrat

• Members
« Reply #381 on: June 09, 2019, 04:52:54 PM »
Agreed. But then again let's assume ORD had 100 slots now in GW2 (73 less than it has currently). This would mean it would be totally slot locked except night times. I am sure this can't be it either?

I second Andre on this, and think that the huge bases like ORD/LAX/LHR might either need a category (11/12) of their own, or a multiplier to the slots later in the game.

P.S. - If neither of the above are planned, happy days for A380 !  :P

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members
« Reply #382 on: June 09, 2019, 05:32:35 PM »
I second Andre on this, and think that the huge bases like ORD/LAX/LHR might either need a category (11/12) of their own, or a multiplier to the slots later in the game.

Half agreed. LHR is slot-constrained IRL, so wouldn't be a problem to keep it so in the game. Yes, settings in different GWs are already different, but then LHR would become somewhat more realistic (LHR has currently only 2 runways - vs 6 in the 50s - can't beat ATL).

And that's only a problem until CBD for pax is implemented. After that, Gatwick and Luton will gain power and that's precisely the point of crossing CBD with this infra system.

P.S. - If neither of the above are planned, happy days for A380 !  :P

That would be interesting indeed. Very much.

Offline Cornishman

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #383 on: June 09, 2019, 09:59:27 PM »
Sorry to say, that if CBD for pax is being implemented before other more needed features, then that will probably be my last day playing this AWS game.

No disrespect and I'm sure many folk would disagree with me, but imo, we really need some exciting new developments, not more fiddley things to tie us up tighter in little knots. I mean - lets face it: we currently have CBD for cargo in place, yet we do not have a satisfactory toolbox to help assess exactly which airports we should serve and which not to bother with thereafter because it would be affected by our previous route selection in any given CBD.  We all know that if you fiddle around and open a new tab and alter the url then there is a very clunky way to see a map with the CBD areas and the airports within them. But even then, this leaves us with some massive tasks to create a spreadsheet to organise yourself. I did that when I mapped out all the cargo route possibilities from Paris to the USA. Largely it worked a dream for me in the end - but I'm not doing that again with all pax routes all around the world - NO WAY - task much too big.

Perhaps instead, finally doing something that makes huge swathes of the planet like Africa, more fun and workable - maybe in Africa (and similar places where traffic is thin) allow "stop-&-pick-up routes". Perhaps first some toolbox updates to fix the large number of "repeat/repeat/repeat" tasks we have to tediously go through "1-plane-at-a-time" or "1-route-at-a-time" when running a large fleet of say 500+ aircraft. 

PS: Thank you for just fixing the mass-scrapping of planes. Excellent, some more fixes like this will really go down well. (I only just noticed this after posting this message)

« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 11:32:21 PM by Cornishman »

Offline Cornishman

• Members

« Reply #384 on: June 13, 2019, 09:07:05 PM »
I was just having to look at some of my less profitable cargo routes and make some decisions whether to axe a few. So about the current CBD arrangement for cargo - for my money it really is pretty damned poor. I run a fleet of cargo planes - and so to fill-up a required shorter schedule here and there in a 7-day schedule, I choose to fly into destinations like Germany, Italy the UK and France which have decent cargo requirements on the whole. But so many airports are within same CBD as several others, that when the demand is split around as it is - it becomes less viable to actually serve any of the destinations at all. It would surely be better for one airport in any given CBD to be given a "cargo-handler" status -  like for example BHX offer cargo, whilst those around like EMA, CVT, etc. would not.

Really not a fan at all of this CBD stuff. Dead against seeing this introduced for pax.

Offline MikeS

• Members

« Reply #385 on: June 13, 2019, 09:52:39 PM »
In essence, it's an interesting concept and opens new strategy possibilities. The net effect, however, seems to be having more scattered demand/thin routes and flying smaller planes. It'll be a new challenge for all of us and keep us busy for a while but might prove frustrating in the longer run... but I'm glad to see this game in constant development..  something new in the pipeline all the time....

Mike

Offline knobbygb

• Members
« Reply #386 on: June 14, 2019, 09:13:21 AM »
And it IS realistic... it means you must fight to strategically move demand by offering more/better flights than your competitors. Now, how well the system works is another matter but it has to be better than just having fixed demand at each airport, as before.  As for your example of designating a specific cargo airport - that would just be totally unrealistic and the game is trying to replicate real life wherever possible. Can you imagine the fuss if EMA were suddenly told "No, you can't handle cargo, BHX is having it all". It would break all sorts of anti-competition and free market rules.

Online Zombie Slayer

• Members

The 2 people who like this post:
« Reply #387 on: June 14, 2019, 12:15:03 PM »
Simple solution is to work to find what airports handle cargo IRL and which dont. If no cargo IRL, airline has to invest in a facility prior to launching service.
Co-founder Elite Worldwide Alliance
PacAir President and CEO
Designated "Tier 1" Opponent

Offline Cornishman

• Members

The 4 people who like this post:
« Reply #388 on: June 14, 2019, 10:49:24 PM »
Knobby says "it IS realistic" - I have no argument about that specific fact knobby - but the problem is the tools that we have to manage this in AWS are completely lacking. Knobby... have you tried finding out all the cargo strategic best destinations in the USA for example, if you fly from one of the European major cargo countries? I have... my God, it was a nightmare long task to establish what would work. I cannot begin to imagine the frustration to have to do that for every destination everywhere for passengers with the current tooling levels.  That is what I'm trying to flag up here before it all just gets launched and then everyone discovers we have a nightmare going on.

Offline gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #389 on: Yesterday at 07:07:18 AM »
Agree with cornishman. In GW3, I've got a few cargo lines from MPL, some work very well, some very bad, and I couldn't find what lines from MRS(the only reasonable nearby competing airport) were in competition with mine.

The system may be realistic, it's also completely unreadable.

Offline groundbum2

• Members

« Reply #390 on: Yesterday at 08:00:38 AM »
I'm looking forward to passenger CBD as that is when the fun starts. Lets face it, we've played the games loads and we're used to the JFK-LHR cash cow that prints cash, and with slots restricted at both ends and Heathrow closed 23-06 means it's hard to break into for new people.

CBD promises us we can setup a new operation at Stansted and fly punters to Atlantic City. Or use Midway and not ORD. Oakland not SFO. etc etc. So rather than establish the usual big bases that nobody can touch after the first few years, we suddenly get disruptors popping up all over. Can't wait! Who will be the JetBlue or Ryanair of AWS? And if we get hub and spoke well...!

I can usually see who is hiding at smaller bases by going to the airport page, say Oakland for SFO, seeing who's based there, seeing if they have any cargo planes, if they do looking at their airline specific timetable and see if they've sneaked in some cargo flights to steal "my" cargo, eg KOAK-NYC.

Simon
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:03:41 AM by groundbum2 »

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.