Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Two requests on slot/route management  (Read 828 times)

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members
Re: Two requests on slot/route management
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2019, 01:53:09 PM »
I've had this before, rebuilding my schedule into a 7 day schedule. But all I did was arrange my work so that as I created new flights, every so often I would schedule them to planes. It's doable, just requires a bit of planning.

I think the restriction to only have so many unused slots at slot constrained airports is reasonable, so the code is doing what it's supposed to do.

I've not seen the restriction where you cannot go into edit route.

If nothing else create the new routes and do not buy the slots, then close the old routes, keeping slots, then go in and edit the new routes, picking up the slots whether paid for or not.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. We definitely do though need a better way to manage slots, right now it's a nightmare.

To improve slot management I'd
1) have an option on manage routes where you select the routes without slots, then tick a box next to each route, or an ALL box at the top, to buy the slots.
2) When closing a route have an option to keep the slots at your base, but release the slots at the other end.
3) Have the email saying "these slots will be taken away from you in X weeks" an URL you can click to release the slots in the email at base, far end, or both.
4) Have a screen where you can see all slots not linked to routes and have again a tick box, or ALL, to release them. Optionally group by destination as in manage routes.

Simon

Yeah, currently I'm forced to schedule these flights departing on hours I had slots in (roughly one / day, approx 1 on 3). Then pray that I schedule enough "unused slots" to then purchase the missing slots.

Yes, the system does what it's intended to do, but I don't think what it is intended to do is the best manner to manage the slot hogging problem, as what it currently does is just making my renewal a nightmare.

I consider myself a tough player, but certainly not a borderline/cheating-slot hogger one. And being cornered while playing honestly is just a pain in the back.

So yeah, I'll do it the way you propose, but gee, what a mess... It will take double the amount of time needed.

Offline Pup

• Members
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2019, 02:12:02 PM »

1) have an option on manage routes where you select the routes without slots, then tick a box next to each route, or an ALL box at the top, to buy the slots.

+ a billion

Offline gazzz0x2z

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2019, 02:46:21 PM »
Never had this message in previous GW2 when I overhauled my simple CRJ schedule into a 7-7 MRJ schedule (and we speak about nearly 500 frames, there). I had some real opposition in Alicante, but maybe not enough for the airport to look crowded.

But I can imagine that had I done this in Arlanda(where opposition was harsh, but I arrived only with MRJs, so never had to overhaul my schedules), I mght have met this problem as well.

So I agree with others, we need 2 buttons : "buy all needed slots" and "release all unused slots". Woudln't change anything in the fight against slot-hogging, but would allow for smoother transitions.

slickwillbo

• Former member
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2019, 02:59:52 PM »
Here's a screenshot, as I just hit it.
While I can understand the idea (avoid slot hogging), I'd like to underline its negative aspect: I'm not trying to hog slots, I'm trying to do a renewal. Thus, to avoid paying slots twice, I keep them. What will remain unused will be released, that's obvious.
But in the meanwhile I cannot perform my renewal (because speed is different, patterns are different).

So the only solution is that I have to release the slots, risk them to be gobbled by my competitors and pay for the slots I just released a second time?
Sami, I'm sorry to say this, but it seems a little bit ill-adapted. I agree that we have to fight slot hogging, but what airport admin in the world would make force a guy to release his slots in order to be able to buy them back?

Thanks for grabbing the screen shot - this is exactly the problem. This message/error/warning should only appear when you're trying to buy new slots, not when you're trying to create a route with existing slots.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 03:13:40 PM by slickwillbo »

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2019, 03:17:27 PM »
Thanks for grabbing the screen shot - this is exactly the problem. This message/error/warning should only when you're trying to buy new slots, not when you're trying to create a route (with existing slots).

Where you got it wrong is that this message is displayed only when you try to buy new slots.
At this point, you're basically cornered, and there are only 2 solutions to get out of it:
a) create phantom routes only for the purpose of then cancelling them (in order to own less unused slots)
b) create first the routes with departure times you have slots on, lowering your unused slot level, and then buy the new ones.

And if b) isn't enough, then go through a). A pain.

That's why I'm saying the current system is inadequate. A tedious way to workaround while you did nothing wrong in the 1st place.

slickwillbo

• Former member
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2019, 03:25:38 PM »
Where you got it wrong is that this message is displayed only when you try to buy new slots.
At this point, you're basically cornered, and there are only 2 solutions to get out of it:
a) create phantom routes only for the purpose of then cancelling them (in order to own less unused slots)
b) create first the routes with departure times you have slots on, lowering your unused slot level, and then buy the new ones.

And if b) isn't enough, then go through a). A pain.

That's why I'm saying the current system is inadequate. A tedious way to workaround while you did nothing wrong in the 1st place.

Sorry if i wasn’t clear - I’m saying it SHOULD only appear when buying new slots, not when creating a new route. I agree with and have the same problem as you, which is why I created this thread.

I expect many others will run into this problem when it’s fleet conversion time. Especially for small/medium planes, which have more routes. I’m dreading my C-46 to Viscount conversion in a couple years.

Offline Zobelle

• Members
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2019, 03:30:44 PM »
Here's a screenshot, as I just hit it.
While I can understand the idea (avoid slot hogging), I'd like to underline its negative aspect: I'm not trying to hog slots, I'm trying to do a renewal. Thus, to avoid paying slots twice, I keep them. What will remain unused will be released, that's obvious.
But in the meanwhile I cannot perform my renewal (because speed is different, patterns are different).

So the only solution is that I have to release the slots, risk them to be gobbled by my competitors and pay for the slots I just released a second time?
Sami, I'm sorry to say this, but it seems a little bit ill-adapted. I agree that we have to fight slot hogging, but what airport admin in the world would make force a guy to release his slots in order to be able to buy them back?

I’ve been spelling the answer out all along.(Move a single route at a time) If it’s deliberate then I’m sure it’s there for a reason.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 03:42:52 PM by Zobelle »

slickwillbo

• Former member
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2019, 03:46:19 PM »
I’ve been spelling the answer out all along. If it’s deliberate then I’m sure it’s there for a reason and I’m all too glad to have it there.

Your suggestion - to edit one route group at a time - doesn’t work. One group of seven aircraft can use more than enough slots to disable access to the create new route dialogue.

There’s no point for the warning to be where it is and it is actually counterproductive. - It prevents people from using slots they already own.

Offline Zobelle

• Members
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2019, 04:07:27 PM »
Perhaps after the fact or restriction placed it no longer works but in normal upgrade procedures I’ve not had this issue before. I’m willing to give it a shot by moving a set of routes from one type to another using my previously mentioned method. I’ll post results soon.

Offline [SC] - King Kong

• Members
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2019, 10:34:38 PM »
slot system seems to be broken anyway so lets fix it

Offline Zobelle

• Members

The 2 people who like this post:
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2019, 04:01:09 AM »
slot system seems to be broken anyway so lets fix it

Pray tell, What’s actually broken about it?

If anything is broke it’s the airports in GW2 from slots being far too cheap (An infrastructure issue, no doubt)

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.