Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Been away for a long time -some observations and questions  (Read 260 times)

Offline JJP

• Members
Been away for a long time -some observations and questions
« on: January 06, 2019, 01:31:11 PM »
Hi folks.  I've been away so long that Sami invited me to play a beginner scenario for free (several months ago -just getting around to it).  ;)  I've read all the updates, but with no new gaming experience, I am not really sure about the new features or how it affects game play (just started the beginner scenario).

I see cargo has been added now.  From what I can see, this simply seems like an added way to make easy, extra money (faster) on your normal passenger flights.  Is this correct?  Is there a down side to loading your "extra" cargo space with mail and stuff?  In other words, would I ever block cargo (aside from a scenario in which cargo demand is already fully supplied)?

I believe there is now city-based (dynamic) demand for cargo and passengers?  So, I can start in a smaller airport using 30 - 80 passenger planes and (if I wisely expand and do everything else well) see the small city grow into a decent sized airport with good, decent flight demand?  Or, does passenger demand still simply grow with time based on historical data?

CI seems to increase slower than I remember.  Is this true, or am I not remembering correctly?

I see new aircraft launch ordering has changed -looks good.

What other big changes have I missed?

One, last, tongue-in-cheek question: are there still the same 20 - 40 players who play every single game (stretching the truth *slightly* to make a point) and always completely and totally dominate?  Just wondering . . .

Thanks!

Offline deovrat

• Members

The person who likes this post:
Re: Been away for a long time -some observations and questions
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 02:17:17 PM »
Hi folks.  I've been away so long that Sami invited me to play a beginner scenario for free (several months ago -just getting around to it).  ;)  I've read all the updates, but with no new gaming experience, I am not really sure about the new features or how it affects game play (just started the beginner scenario).

Hello :)

I see cargo has been added now.  From what I can see, this simply seems like an added way to make easy, extra money (faster) on your normal passenger flights.  Is this correct?  Is there a down side to loading your "extra" cargo space with mail and stuff?  In other words, would I ever block cargo (aside from a scenario in which cargo demand is already fully supplied)?

I believe your interpretation is right. In cases where you fly a route beyond your frame's nominal range though, its the cargo that's sacrificed first automatically.

I believe there is now city-based (dynamic) demand for cargo and passengers?

That is partially incorrect. City based demand is for cargo only right now, not for passengers.

CI seems to increase slower than I remember.  Is this true, or am I not remembering correctly?

Its increasing at the same rate for me personally.

One, last, tongue-in-cheek question: are there still the same 20 - 40 players who play every single game (stretching the truth *slightly* to make a point) and always completely and totally dominate?  Just wondering . . .

Yes, same old same old.  ::)

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 02:41:26 PM »
Welcome back, then :)

Cargo is a little more tricky than just free money: to compensate, pax ticket prices have been adjusted downwards, thus when you're not able to fill the belly of your plane, things are a little more complicated. The US, Europe and Japan have a lot of demand, so it's not much of a problem. But in cargo-deprived areas (related to RL countries' GDP) like China before the 90's boom, Russia, South America, etc., it can be a little more complicated if you meet severe competition.

About CBD, yes, you can increase your airport's demand quite a bit. One of the biggest cargo handler in GW#2 turned Chicago Gary into a fairly large cargo hub, at 1/3 of ORD's (but remember that ORD has thousands of pax flights sucking in LC and SC demand).

As for the same 20-40 players, yes. I'd rather say 20, but yes. However at the same time the introduction of cargo widened the variety of airlines available to play (and you can't always fly everything, a little bit like before, but a little more accentuated), so there is potentially more space / more possibilities.

Also, we'll hopefully see some other improvements to the gameplay soon. There has been some discussions about some artificial / semi-artificial Open Skies in Africa and Asia (to group minor countries and make them worth playing), and should it be implemented, it would open a completely new playground.

Offline JJP

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 03:09:04 PM »
Thank you to everyone who replied.  I appreciate the clarifications.

On a serious note concerning the same small group of people who play every scenario and always dominate . . . it's too bad there weren't simply enough concurrent games (thinking 20+) such that it would be nigh impossible for this group to be in all games.  I think it would be nice to have game worlds for the more casual players (I know you couldn't limit it as such, but the number of worlds would help lead itself to this scenario). 

At any rate, I'm not sure I'll start a full campaign.  It sucks too much time out of one's life. 

Thanks!

Offline spiff23

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 04:24:56 AM »
HEY JJP.  Looks like some of the questions were answered.  I like the cargo. To some degree it is extra revenue, but Sami tweaked a few things so the pax revenue isn't as much...may not make sense, but you need both.  You can run some dedicated freighters to further capture demand + the pax planes can't carry the heaviest cargo.  It creates some niche opportunities for sure.  As ape noted, you can do some interesting things like the Gary example.

One thing I like is you can open routes to some place that would never support passenger demand but do with cargo.  It makes for some interesting route combos.

I find there is a good mix of games between short ones and the long ones based on what you think you can handle.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.