Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Curse's AWS Basic FAQ  (Read 30801 times)

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members

The person who likes this post:
Curse's AWS Basic FAQ
« on: June 21, 2011, 01:55:12 AM »
Current Version of this FAQ: 1.4
Current Version of AirwaySim Game at last update: 1.3

Welcome to my AWS Basic FAQ.

The audience for this are beginner, intermediate and everybody who is just interested in updating his knowledge in AWS mechanics.

You can read this FAQ at first, but I suggest you to read the Manual carefully one or two times. The FAQ will answer some questions the Manual does not answer or only give rough hints.

After reading the Manual and the FAQ you should read Swiftus' Guide for Newbs. The FAQ is in the middle of them, but it is also ok if you read this FAQ after you read the available guides.

Also this FAQ will not give you much precise information. It's main part of the game to gather experience and find your own way, not get some rule-your-game-world manual from me.

The FAQ has five parts, each part has it's own post. The words in the index exactly below this passage are links, so click them if you just search something specific.

General game and forum settings

1) How many aircraft do I need to make profit?

As a general rule, you need at least one bigger aircraft like DC-6/Boeing 727-200/Boeing 737-400 on a route without much competition. If you choose smaller aircraft, make sure to get more of them, because the staffing, maintenance etc. costs will divided through all your aircraft.

2) Are there aircraft that can't make any money because of game mechanics?

Yes, there are. It's impossible to build an airline that makes profit with aircraft less than 20 seats and hard to build an airline with aircraft less than 30 seats.

3) Is it a good idea to configure my aircraft with only first class and business class seats?

No, this is not a good idea. Due to some people who abused this in the past, business and first class load factors require some good company image - round about 50 for business class and round about 70 to 80 company image for first class. Better stick to Economy only or the manufacturer standard configuration for the first times.
Also this is one of the things that just needs experience in AWS, not exactly data in a FAQ or Guide.

4) I heard something about launch customer discount. What's that? And what are the parameters for this?

If a new aircraft model (for example: Boeing 737-300) is announced, one person(airline) can get this discount. It is also available if a new version of an existing model is announced (for example: Boeing 737-400). This discount gives you an additional 10% of direct purchase or leasing costs when ordering a new aircraft. To get the discount you must order at least 5 of the specific aircraft (for example: 5x Boeing 737-400). The discount is only on this one order available, further orders have the normal price.
The discount is also available if some airlines placed orders below 5 aircraft each (for example: X orders 2x Boeing 737-400, y orders 4x Boeing 737-400 - you can still get the discount for ordering 5x B737-400).

5) Is it a good idea to add a lot of different aircraft models to my fleet?

No, this is a very bad idea. Fleet commonality is very important in AirwaySim. Your airline will make no or less money if you use a lot of different models (Boeing 737-400 and Boeing 737-800 for example), while it is totally ok to use different variants of the same model (for example: Boeing 737 Next Generation - this inclused B737-600, B737-700(ER), B737-800 and B737-900(ER)).
Better stick to two or three different models. Later you can experiment how much fleet categories can be used and still making profit, this is mainly based on what aircraft models you will operate and, mainly, how big your airline is (= how much aircraft of every model you have).

6) Can one use Russian/Soviet build aircraft and make profit?

Yes, it is possible to make good profit even with Russian/Soviet aircraft, which usually have expensive maintenance and consume more fuel than usual.

7) Are these still making profit when fuel prices increase?

Yes, they can still make profit even with higher fuel prices. But this has much to do with the exact fuel price and which aircraft you fly. Generally Russian/Soviet aircraft lose their profitability (much) earlier than (newer) Western models.

8) Is there a difference between High-Density, Standard and Premium seating?

Yes, there is. It's just like in real life, but this is another feature one has to experiment with. Don't believe people that say you must not use high-density on longer routes or you must use Premium configuration on long international flights. Both is half true, but half wrong. To experience and manage this is one thing that will you generate lots of profit.

9) Shall I change the seating configuration of my aircraft?

Changing the seating configuration is often a good way to improve profit. In the first weeks and month after founding the airline it might be more important to get more aircraft, but as soon as money comes in you might check your routes for first class/business class demand or think about the usage of high density or premium seats.

10) Can I increase the rate I get new aircraft?

Only by ordering from different production lines. There is absolutely no possibility to get more aircraft out of a production line than the system will show you.

11) What exactly is this MTOW thing and does it effect me/my airline?

MTOW is the maximum weight your aircraft is allowed to have to take off. The weight of your aircraft affects directly your navigation and take off/landing costs as well as fuel consumption.

12) Can I refuel my aircraft at cheaper fuel airports?

No, you can't.

13) Is it possible to buy some fuel tank and fuel for times when fuel becomes really expensive?

No, this is not possible. You always buy your fuel for the world market price which you can see at your dashboard or, with fuel history, at the fuel management page.

An exception to this might be the fuel hedge that allows you to hedge up to 100% fuel (10%, 20% ... 90%, 100%) for a maximum of 12 month from the moment you start the hedge.

14) Can I change the company who delivers fuel to my aircraft?

Yes, you can. Via the fuel management page you are able to choose a company for this out of up to three. Their benefits are completely random and different for each airport. You are also able to choose a different supplier for every airport you have a base at.

15) Is there a maximum for fuel prices?

No, there isn't. There's also no general rule when fuel spikes can appear or not - sometimes there is no fuel spike in a whole game, sometimes fuel is expensive all the time etc. There were fuel spikes over $1500 kg/hr in Modern Times and over $500 in Dawn of the Millenium gameworlds.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 09:20:00 PM by [GRU] Natasha Simonova »

• Members
Curse's AWS Basic FAQ - Routes
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 01:55:56 AM »

1) Can I set B-Check and regular flight at the same time?

Yes, you can set the B-Check on every single place at the schedule. It takes always 24hours and you can't part it.

2) What happens with the flight(s) I set at the same time with the B-Check?

They are automatically ignored, what means you will not earn money for this flights, but there are also no expenses like fuel or navigation fees. Instead you must pay maintenance costs, the exact amount for your specific aircraft can be seen in the aircraft page if you click the crossed tools at the very right.
For example (Screenshot below): Place a B-Check for Monday 6am to Tuesday 6am and two regular flights between Monday 5am and Tuesday 13pm.

3) Is it a good idea to serve some routes not every day?

No, that's not a good idea. Potentially customers don't like airlines which do not serve a route every day. On the other hand you can serve a route seven days a week with an aircraft and serve the same route a second (or third or fourth ...) time, but this time only some days. So for example you will have 10 flights a week, every day at least one and three on friday and two on monday. This would be ok for customers.

4) Is there a limited amount of mechanics to do A- or B-Checks?

No, there are unlimited mechanics for every day and every time of a day. If you want to maintain all of your 150 aircraft from Saturday 12am to Sunday 12am, feel free to do so.

5) Slot and runway fees are extremely expensive. How can I survive this?

Buying slots is a one time thing. You buy them and if you fly them in a route, you will never lose them. Also you never have to repurchase them, even an airport is moved to a newer one (for example Dallas Love Field to Dallas-Fort Worth).

6) What happens when I base at an airport that is closed or replaced by some other airport later in the game?

That's no problem. The system will automatically move all of your aircraft and routes to the new airport. You just log in as normal and can do your normal AWS tasks, but you are at another airport - normally with much more demand everywhere and more slots, sometimes even extended opening hours.

An exception from this is Tokyo Haneda. If Tokyo Narita is opened, you will be automatically moved and you will lose nearly all of your domestic demand, while your international demand increases extremely. Due to the fact I don't would suggest some beginners or intermediates to base at Tokyo Haneda, there will be no further hints on this.

7) Is it possible to open routes from another airport than mine and fly to an airport that's also not mine?

No, this is not possible. You might maybe open up to three base airports later in the game, these would be handled as your base airport (see Manual on this), but normally it is not possible.

8) Can I fly from my base airport to another airport and pick up some people and fly them to a third airport?

No, this is not possible in version 1.3. It was possible in previous versions and it will maybe possible with some restrictions somehow later again, but at the beginning of playing AirwaySim you can stick to routes out of your base airport.

9) I'm using an aircraft that requires more runway length than my airport can afford. What to do?

At first, don't panic. The required runway is the one the aircraft needs to fly it's maximum range with the maximum on passengers. So if you plan to use some alternate seating, maybe with standard economy instead of high-density economy, or alternative if you fly to an airport that is near enough to your base to make your aircraft consume less fuel, you are fine.

If you absolutely must use an aircraft that requires a too long runway and if you absolutely must fly to some far away destination with as much passengers as possible, you can do the following thing:
Just build in some tech-stop in your route. It makes sense to use an airport on the shown flight path and make sure your tech-stop airport has a long enough runway.

10) Does passenger demand on routes increase over time?

Yes, it does. And it only decreases after some very rare but world wide known events.

11) Can I make a second or third tech-stop?

Yes, you can make two tech-stops.

12) Can I make some profit with ultra-long-haul (ULH) routes? Routes over around 7000nm I mean?

Hardly. You could make a bit profit if you own the aircraft, fuel prices aren't too high and if you can get a good amount of first class und business pax in there.

Normally, like in reality, ULH is more prestige for airlines with too much money and not a cash cow.

13) Is it important to have different departing and arrival times on one route or can I simply copy the same route ten times and get all the people in my aircraft?

Simply copying routes is not going to work. You must at least have one hour difference between to departures to the same destination. If it's a very crowded route with over 4000 passengers a day, like for example Tokyo Haneda to Fukuoka, you can reduce this to 30 minutes.

Easiest way to avoid penalties due to this is common sense. You want to fly to a specific destination three times? Simply pick something like 05:30, 12:30 and 18:30 o'clock.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 04:20:05 PM by CUR$E »

• Members
Curse's AWS Basic FAQ - Marketing
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 01:56:32 AM »

1) Are there differences between the types of marketing and which area should be affected?

No, the only difference is the price. If you spent $5 Million per week in world wide television or $5 Million per week in local newspapers - there's absolutely no difference. The only thing that counts is the total amount of money you spent for marketing.

2) Does both types of marketing - 'General campaign' and 'Route specific Campaign' - have effects?

Yes, both types have their specific effects and could be useful. However you should definitely have at least one General campaign.

3) Are route image (RI) campaigns important?

Yes, route image campaigns are important because they noticable speed up the rate RI increases. Newspaper handout for one month should be mandatory for all routes, maybe even more.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 04:24:51 PM by CUR$E »

• Members
Curse's AWS Basic FAQ - Alliances
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 01:57:07 AM »

1) Do I have any tangible advantages of being in an alliance?

Yes, depending on how successful your alliance is, you will get a small boost on the amount of tickets you sale.
Note: The boost is small, it is not necessary to be a member of a successful alliance to succeed.
Admin statement on this

Also specific alliances may have specific rules that will give you advantages, like sharing routes half/half between alliance members, but this is no general rule.

2) Do I have any countable disadvantages being in an alliance?

Alliances can charge up to 1% of your income. This results in less money for your airline.

3) Why should I join an alliance?

There are some advantages at the moment - alliance internal rules (like route-sharing, cheap used aircraft, help in strategy and playing questions) and a community with a own forums section. Also the small boost for your load factor is a good point.  
Advantages and/or disadvantages may vary from alliance to alliance, game world to game world.

If you have a small(er) airline, you also will earn more money due earning more money due to increased ticket salaries than you have to spend for alliance fee. You should also not make your decision of joining an alliance or not because of (up to) 1% alliance fee vs. small boost of load factors.

However, please always remind Browsergames like AirwaySim is one are based on community and alliances are a big part of the community.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 04:17:44 PM by Curse »

• Members
Curse's AWS Basic FAQ - General game and forum settings
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 01:57:48 AM »
General game and forum settings

1) How do I upload a livery or a logo to my airline?

This option can be found in the settings page. Just join the game world you want to add the airline livery and/or airline logo to and use this link or alternatively navigate manually via Dashboard -> Settings.

Please keep in mind it's mandatory to use JPG format. The airline logo must be 150x50 pixels and the airline livery 800x230 pixels.

2) I'm not very good at Photoshop or GIMP or any other graphics program. Is there another way to get a logo and/or livery?

There are three ways. Maybe the best one is to ask a friend of you that is familiar with these programs to help you.

The second way is to ask in this general forum thread if someone could help you: LOGO AND LIVERY

And the last way is to wait till AirwaySim version 1.3. Sami has included an ingame logo designer, for further information check out the announcement on this here.

3) Some people have those ultra cool forum banner with details about their airlines. I want this, too. How can I create it?

It's a bit complex. At first you have to go to the settings page - the same page where you can upload your logo and livery (see screenshot 1) in this category).

Click the button like it's shown in the screenshot:

Copy or note down the link that appears, in this example . That's the URL to your banner.

Now we have to put this URL into the forums signature.

Click "profile" like it's marked in the screenshot under this line.

Click now "Forum Profile Information". It's marked in the screenshot beneath this line, at the end of the long arrow.

Insert the earlier copied URL in the signature box exactly like it is done in the screenshot (obviously you have to insert your numbers).

4) Some people have up to three different game worlds in their signature. But I'm only able to insert two! How do they do this?

You have to cut out the "http://" from every URL.

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

(c) Curse, King Airways
V1.0      13.04.2011   04/13/2011
V1.1      13.04.2011   04/13/2011 'Alliances' 1) and 3) revised
V1.1.5    15.04.2011  04/15/2011 'Routes' 13) added
V1.2      19.06.2011  06/19/2011 'General Settings' added
V1.3      03.07.2011  07/03/2011 'Aircraft' 9) , 14) and 15) added; 'Routes' 14) added; checked for 1.3 changes
V1.4      16.02.2014  02/16/2014 'Routes' 12) "How to create a techstop" deleted tue to good explanation in manual and very good and intuitive interface now in place , 'Marketing' 3) added
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 04:31:24 PM by CUR$E »

• Members
Re: Curse's AWS Basic FAQ
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 02:02:32 AM »
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 02:37:26 AM by Curse »

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 02:17:51 AM »
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 02:37:33 AM by Curse »

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 02:18:25 AM »

Due to forums software it's easier to create a new topic and delete the old one than re-edit the postings by sending them to a moderator. This action was discussed with mod team.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 08:27:34 PM »
If you have ideas about extending this or for points I should add, please don't hesitate to write an answer here or a PM to me.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 04:34:10 PM »
I just made a small update - changing some details of things that have changed and replaced some picture-URLs that were not valid anymore.

I'm still open for input, either on the existing points or on extensions.

Offline FOX

• Members
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 10:42:04 PM »

This is awesome info

Thank you for sharing all this

Offline SkyKing

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 10:49:08 PM »

How do you include your logo, Kingairways, into the signature area.  I understand how the game banner is inserted.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 01:05:19 AM »

upload it somewhere in the internet and then insert it like an aircraft banner, but with the URL you uploaded your logo to.

Offline SkyKing

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 03:27:28 AM »
Thank You!

Offline L1011fan

• Members
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2016, 04:48:59 AM »
OK Curse. Here's a question. Why can't I get an answer out of an alliance after weeks.  Yes or no would be fine, but I can't move on with alliances until I get an answer unless you know a way to withdraw my application from Onesky. Can they all be on vacation? They don't care? I've sent all the powers that be messages. I don't know what to do except, just keep playing without the opportunity to join an alliance. This would concern Holland Nation Air in "Fly to the Future" . Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 04:51:43 AM by L1011fan »

Offline Mr Yoda

• Members
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2016, 09:55:29 PM »
OK Curse. Here's a question. Why can't I get an answer out of an alliance after weeks.  Yes or no would be fine, but I can't move on with alliances until I get an answer unless you know a way to withdraw my application from Onesky. Can they all be on vacation? They don't care? I've sent all the powers that be messages. I don't know what to do except, just keep playing without the opportunity to join an alliance. This would concern Holland Nation Air in "Fly to the Future" . Thanks!
After 1 game year the application is withdrawn automatically and you'll be able to join another one.

Offline CarlBagot

• Members
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2016, 01:35:12 AM »
this is from 2014  :-\

Offline JTAirbus

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2016, 01:13:42 PM »
Nice Guide!  :)

Offline Matt Elphick

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 08:50:16 AM »
Nice guide. Will this be updated soon

Offline Jona L.

• Members
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2016, 04:59:33 PM »
Hi Matt,

I wouldn't think so, as Curse hasn't played AWS in almost a year.

If it will ever be updated it will be quite a while from now.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.