Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] Variable Aircraft Speed  (Read 273 times)

Offline ts96

• Members
[-] Variable Aircraft Speed
« on: August 01, 2017, 06:27:49 PM »
Aircraft have certain speeds at which they fly the most efficient. That is probably the speed indicated in the Aircraft information window. However sometimes these speeds have to be adjusted, at the cost of higher fuel consumption.

An example where this would be necessary and very useful in the game is when scheduling long haul flights. I stumbled upon this problem some time ago when trying to schedule flights to/from Narita and some european and North American airports. Certain flights were simply not possible (almost not possible) to connect (please don't ask me which ones though, I can't remember ;) ) with certain aircraft types, in my case 767-200ER. For example the departure airport would close at 23:00 and the arrival airport (Narita) would open at 6:00 (I think...). When departing at 22:55 the arrival time would be just around 10 minutes prior to Narita opening so at 5:50 or something like that and thereby not possible to create. In real life, if I'm not mistaken, airlines would just let their aircraft fly 2-3 knots slower to arrive at the time of the airport opening or just after. Same thing if arrival time is 10 minutes after closing time. You would let your aircraft fly a bit faster, but consuming more fuel.

in other words, my request is some kind of buttons when creating flights like +1knot, +2knots, +3knots, -1knot, -2knots, -3knots and the flight time changing accordingly. And maybe an indication for approximate increased fuel burn

Of course this is only really relevant for long haul since there would be no benefits for short haul, saving just a minute or less and burning significantly more fuel.

Don't know if it would be possible to do but it would be a great help for creating long haul flights :)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 06:33:52 PM by Sami »

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: Variable Aircraft Speed
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 06:33:49 PM »
A thread of this already exists

Offline ts96

• Members
Re: [-] Variable Aircraft Speed
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 06:43:32 PM »
Oh ok great! Couldn't fint it before though, I'll have to keep looking :)

matt84

• Former member
Re: [-] Variable Aircraft Speed
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 12:24:46 AM »
it would make a difference in domestic as well to be honest, the slower you fly the more economic up to a point, could have just 3 options, best fuel, best speed and a mid way speed. save fuel but get there slower or burn a lot etc , but probably for the other discussion elsewhere

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.