Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [ok] Improvements to Scheduling  (Read 963 times)

Kontio

• Former member
[ok] Improvements to Scheduling
« on: May 14, 2009, 09:52:45 AM »
"Routes/Scheduling" is a major feature of the game with lots of information available in compact visual form. I have some improvement suggestions that I think could be relatively easy to implement without a complete rewrite of the system.

1. Changes to the information we get when hovering the mouse over a flight.

a) Make "Can dep again" dependent on the Default turn-around times selected by the player. Now the game sort of makes the calculation I need but I still need to remeber how much to add to the minimum.

b) In addition to "Dep" and "Arr" and "Can dep again", show also the time (hh:mm) it takes from "Dep" to "Arr" and "Can dep again". This is useful when you have to start shuffling the flights around trying to optimize fleet utilization.

c) Speaking of shuffling the flights around, it would be nice to be able to hover the mouse over an empty gap in the schedule and see how long it is (hh:mm). It's always the question can I fit this flight into that gap, and together with the 1b that would become so much easier.

d) The range of the flight would be useful when contemplating switching a flight to be flown with a different plane type.

2. Changes to the information we get when hovering the mouse over the airplane registration.

a) Show the maximum range of the aircraft. That along with configuration is the important information we need when scheduling, not necessarily age and condition.

b) Currently the planes are grouped by fleet group and the planes are identified by their registrations. It would be useful to see the exact model of the plane without hovering the mouse over the registration because there is quite a lot of variation for example within the A320 fleet group. At least on my screen it looks like the info could fit there with a smaller font perhaps.

4. I would like to see when during the block of colour we currently see the plane is turning around and when it is in flight. The block could be a slightly darker shade during turn-around. This is not that important for regular ABA routes but it would make it immediately visible which flights are ABCBA or ABCA type. Currently it is impossible to see that without hovering the mouse over a flight. If this is a performance issue, could this be an optional view (see below)? The information could also be conveyed by showing a little icon denoting multiple-leg flights (similar to how flagged flights are shown currently), but that would obviously not be so elegant.

5. In addition to the standard view meant to show the actual schedules of the planes, the Scheduling view could be used to show other information graphically. There could be different views available, such as in "Manage routes". Such views could be

a) "Load factor view", showing the flights in green, yellow, or red according to the "Avg LF %" in "Manage routes - Financial view".

b) "Delay view", showing delayed and canceled flights in different colour.

6. When selecting "View schedule" in the "My aircraft" screen, could we be taken directly to the schedule of the plane in question, not just the fleet group?

« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 03:55:46 PM by sami »

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: Improvements to Scheduling
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 11:57:26 AM »
1b) You mean the total time the plane is away from the base or hmm?

(otherwise.. I'll probably do all or almost all of these things mentioned) ;)

Online Dasha

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 12:03:04 PM »
It all sounds good indeed. I have something to add...

c) Speaking of shuffling the flights around, it would be nice to be able to hover the mouse over an empty gap in the schedule and see how long it is (hh:mm). It's always the question can I fit this flight into that gap, and together with the 1b that would become so much easier.

if it is possible, which Im not sure of, make the route blocks flexible. So that you can pick them up with the mouse and put them in another plane with just a few clicks. This would make planning your planes a little easier combined with the 'gap time' between flights. Similar to Airline Tycoon. Again I'm not sure if this technically possible in browser games.
The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes, decide everything

Kontio

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 12:06:44 PM »
1b) You mean the total time the plane is away from the base or hmm?

Hmm... Ideally I would like to see the total time elapsed between the aircraft departing base and being back at base ready to depart for the next flight (i.e. with my default turn-around time setting factored in).

bukatino2000

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 04:20:37 PM »

(otherwise.. I'll probably do all or almost all of these things mentioned) ;)

Konti what of lucky guy are you!!  ??? We all sweat our ass off to have such an answer. ;)

azangrilli

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 05:25:05 AM »
I liked the above suggestion.....Drag and drop routes across all aircraft types.

If you could grab a flight with your mouse, then drag to empty spot on another aircraft, and it would automatically adjust for times as well as a/c type.  It would make things a ton easier!

Also how about aircraft swapping with more ease.  Say you have a spare DC-9.  One of your other DC-9's goes into C check automatically by the program.  can we have the routes on that C check bird automatically switch over to the spare aircraft?

I love playing this game, sometimes its tough because i cant get on at work to do all the swapping myself.

bigdogshark62

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 04:55:02 PM »
Msn, these are great ideas!  I found this thread because I was looking for a "swap routes" idea.  These would help!

The thing I was thinking of was to add one more option to the drop down list within an a/c group.  Along with "Add Routes" and "Remove a Route" and "Clear Schedule," would it be possible to have a "Swap Routes" option?  I have a setup of "minor routes" that I schedule to an a/c in C check so that it's not sitting idle when it comes out of checks.  As it is right now, I have to "Clear Schedule," then "Move schedule," then "Add a route" a couple times, and then reschedule the A/B checks. 

The "Swap Routes" function would work just like the "Move Routes" function, except that the list would include all the other aircraft in that class.  And instead of just moving the routes, it would take the routes of Plane A and schedule them to Plane B, while Plane B's routes would be scheduled to Plane A (kind of like a "double move"). 

Is this doable?  I think it would make scheduling a little easier, and a lot faster.

Thanks!

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 08:51:59 AM »

1d) mentioned elsewhere too and not easily shown for multi-leg routes => pass

2a) was done
2b) may be confusing since some people would like this and some people would prefer to do this with registrations.

3) where's request #3?

4) may be added later if/when scheduling page is overhauled completely

5) as 4

6) was done

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.