Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Range considerations  (Read 82 times)

Offline Piet von der Pompies

• Members
Range considerations
« on: September 22, 2022, 09:31:15 AM »
Hallo
i am considering replacing all my Convair 240/440 with the HS748. The problem i have is that the Range of the HS748 is 50 km shorter than my longest route with the Convair240.
Would i have to make a technical stop with the HS748, or is there a way of extending the range outside of reducing seat capacity?

Offline swiftus27

• Members
Re: Range considerations
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2022, 12:17:59 PM »
The game will automatically reduce the number of seats/cargo. 

When you try to assign a flight to a plane that doesn't have the range, a box will appear in the route planning screen telling you the maximum number of seats you can fill.

ONE BIG HOWEVER:   If you fly two different range variants of a plane type, the box that pops up assumes your shortest legged plane.   

Fake example: 
Route From A to B is 2000nm
You have a 737-300 that is 1500nm range and another that is 2500nm range
You will get the warning box in the route planning screen.    Just make sure you assign the route to the longer legged plane.

Offline knobbygb

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2022, 03:10:11 PM »
Also remember, when you're talking of distances as short as 50km, to take winds into account. The range given is for still air and will be reduced even more when flying into prevailing headwinds (usually westbound). You do get the advantage of having a slightly longer range in the other direction though.

Offline Continental Sky

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2022, 06:35:48 PM »
"Range of the HS748 is 50 km shorter than my longest route..." - it would've helped if you actually said what was that longest route.

Check payload/range chart. At 1,200 nm, Convair can carry 30 pax, HS can carry 40 pax; Convair's maximum is 1,530 nm, zero pax, and HS can still carry 21 pax to that distance.

So I'm pretty sure you will have no problems with range at all, but you will have problems on the other side: HS is 20 kts slower than Convair, so you will lose about 2 minutes for each 100 nm distance; I see your TAT for Convair is 45 minutes; minimum TAT for HS is 25 minutes, so I would say all routes beyond 400 nm will become too tight, you will increase risk of delays beyond acceptable, while routes longer than 1,000 nm or so will not be flyable at all.

The mitigation is, of course, to reschedule all flights, but that's pain in the back...

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.