Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: need mentor to survive  (Read 509 times)

Offline Piet von der Pompies

• Members
need mentor to survive
« on: August 24, 2022, 05:55:59 AM »
Hallo

this is my first try at Airwaysim and i made it into almost 1954  :D

but now i find strong competition and my airline not making any profit anymore
i would like to keep on and be able to fly the classics like the Jumbo and the A320

I did put out a request for Mentorship but no response yet. I desperately need someone to have a look over my business and tell me where i am going wrong. :,(

thanks in advance

Online RALLX

• Members
Re: need mentor to survive
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2022, 07:04:23 AM »
Hello there. At one glance, one very glaring issue is that you are running too many fleet groups. This would cause your fleet commonality cost to skyrocket. As a general rule-of-thumb, do not operate more than 3 fleet groups.

Your competitor is not doing any better either, he has the exact same issue with you but he is slightly better. You need to make a decision for which 3 fleet groups you should retain. You do not need multiple fleet groups of similar size and range. For example, Bristol Wayfarer and Convair 240/440 are similar in size and range. Even Avro C102 would arguably be similar in size. Another example, Boeing 377, DC-6/6B, L-649 are similar in size, DC-4 and Lockheed Electra are similar in size and range.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2022, 05:42:11 PM »
thank you for the reply

i suppose a Heron , Convair and Boeing 377 would be the best fleet makeup
as Wayfairers are being phased out and not easy to obtain on used Market.
DC6 and DC4 are not always on the Market and long waiting list for new delivery
and the Avroliner Jet probably has too high operating costs

i suppose replacing the wayfairers one by one with Convairs would be the best start?

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2022, 06:03:10 PM »
or would it be better to declare bankruptcy and start over small somewhere else?

Offline Continental Sky

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2022, 07:07:32 PM »
or would it be better to declare bankruptcy and start over small somewhere else?

Tough call...  :( Seeing that your profit margin in previous quarters was minor, from several % to only just above zero, and is constantly decreasing to -12% last quarter, I'm afraid it's not only your decision, but if you don't improve your situation, your airline will be closed, regardless if you want it or not...

But first of all, if this is your absolutely first game world at AWS, if you have not played Beginner's World at least once, then it's truly a success, you can be quite satisified with your performance - the competition is fierce, aircraft supply is scarce, pax demand is low, so building an airline like yours to this level is really a challenge.

If you want to stay in the game, you will have to rearrange your airline, which is not easy. If you bankrupt and start all over again, it will be even less easy, as all the good airports are already taken, demand already filled, and good aircraft almost non-existent, impossible to get, so I'm afraid you will not get even to this level where you are now. CPT is not the best solution, not even mediocree, it looks bad to me, merely a dozen of airports within 2,500 nm with demand higher than 50 pax, but later on it seems doable, based on country stats in later age, demand will increase. So will the competition, but it will in any good place.

If I were in that position, I would keep pushing as far as possible. Bankrupting is easy, you can do it whenever you want, but it means losing hours and hours you put into this airline, losing company image and route images, etc., and new start, IMHO, would not be easier but more difficult.

If you want to fly Jumbos (although they are not easy to make profit, from CPT I believe impossible) and A320, then consider new The Modern Times, which should start in a week or two; it starts in 2003., when these birds are already in the market, so you don't have to wait two or three decades. But bear in mind, A32X is the most wanted plane in any AWS world, so you'll have to be really quick to get them.

And next epic world, Airline Generations, that starts in 1955., should be up in ~3 months, so that's another chance to start from day 1, and in the meantime learn - read manual, read forums, join discord group. :)

In addition to what Rallx wrote above, I would have a couple more observations:

Three bases with 36 aircraft is overkill. You might have noticed that new base level 2 is realtively cheap, but level 3 goes steeply up. Both your additional bases are level 3, and I'm pretty sure that administration cost eats almost entire profit from the planes you have there. You need to have prospect of using at least 30-40 aircraft in a base you want to open. JNB seems like natural choice for expansion, it is capital city, vast majority of international traffic will go there, and you want to secure your position there.

For reference, in Age of Flight, in 1993., JNB had 23 million pax, CPT had 7 m pax, the busiest airport was LHR with 121 m. In Airline Gen., in 2025., CPT had 17 m, JNB had 57 m, ATL was busiest with 239 m. That, of course, depends on number and size of airlines that will be based there in this game world, but it gives you a picture of their relative size.

So, JNB is your long-term target. Durban, in my eyes, is pure loser, not only at this stage but even later on, it had barely 2 m pax in 1993. and 6 m in 2025. I would close it immediatelly and use those 10 planes to strengthen position in CPT and JNB. DUR will never be a good base for international flights, and domestic demand is still scarce.

If you cannot find demand from CPT and JNB for those 10 more planes, well, that means you over-expanded, you leased more planes than actually needed for your airport at this time; and it's not easy to return them, early lease termination does not come cheap... I would not dare to suggest which fleets to keep, it takes more careful analysis of demand from CPT and JNB, but I'd say definitely more medium planes, there is no demand for large planes.

Your schedule looks a bit weird to me, I did not manage to understand it. For example, you have two flights to BFN at 0600; DUR, one flight at 1150, next one at 1155; JNB two flights at 0500, and so on. It's a big no-no - your flights must be spaced at least one hour apart, otherwise the system considers them as one single flight so your load factor is halved. The exception is if there is no competition at all and demand is big, which is not in your case, and for cargo planes, it does not apply to them, only to pax planes.

Your fleet utilization is not bad, but I feel it could be better than 13 hrs with only 36 planes. I see you have very few departures at 0500, few more at 0530,. and majority is at 0600; similar for arrivals, not many arrivals after 2230. To improve your picture, your planes must fly between 0500 and 2355, or as close to those times as possible. Even better, you should fly overnight, i.e., departure before midnight, arival after 0500 next morning.

If not yet, look at the forum for 7 planes / 7 day scheduling, you need it for long haul - I'd say your flight to AMS is the only long haul, at days 1-3-5, so if you did it with one single plane flying every second day with 45 minutes shift, it's wrong approach.

Good luck, hope you will manage to keep your airline afloat! If not, don't worry, we were all there at one point in time, and it's just a game.  :)

Online RALLX

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2022, 11:09:57 AM »
Because you need to reduce the number of your fleet groups, you will have to inevitably return some of your leased planes or keep them in the long-term storage (if you do not have sufficient cash). Regardless of which, it is unlikely that you can quickly replace them with whichever fleet groups you decided to use so I'm afraid it might just spiral down from there. Since this is your first time playing and the game is still very early, you might not lose much and would still have good chance of catching up if you restart.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2022, 09:09:09 AM »
thank you all for your replies.
 Gave me much food for thought. Spacing out planes 1 hour apart is something i never thought of, i will have to schedule.
I did the painful deed of cancelling lease of my Constellations and DC4/6 and cut my fleet down and brought it down to 4 A/C types and in the slow process of replacing Wayfairers with Convairs.
just that alone brought me back into making a profit each week. Amazing

i get the point that Durban is not a good prospect, but at the moment its making the most profit out of my 3 bases so for the time being i will keep it and monitor how the demand developes. maybe i will downgrade it to lvl 2 medium planes only and move my 377 to JHB

thanks to your timely help i will be carrying on for a while longer  ;D ;D

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2022, 01:00:04 PM »
Keep in mind that the financial reporting on bases is not fully transparent as hq takes on expenses for each base that do not reflect in the individual base income statement...

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2022, 05:36:01 PM »
ok. something else i learned new  :D

Offline Cornishman

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2022, 07:09:33 PM »
Hej... met die naam Piet van der Pompies and jou lugdies se naam, "Futsak Air", ek glo jy's 'n bietjie van 'n skollie mollie?  :laugh:

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2022, 01:06:49 PM »
 ;D :D jy weet dit

Offline Cornishman

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2022, 04:12:28 PM »
;D :D jy weet dit

Then you must give us all a good laugh with an appropriate livery for Futsak Air !  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  (I'm not in HatF game so don't know if you have already.)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 04:15:13 PM by Cornishman »

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.