Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Unreasonably low slot count  (Read 536 times)

Offline tungstennedge

• Members

The 2 people who like this post:
Unreasonably low slot count
« on: December 29, 2021, 09:55:46 PM »
This modern times seems to have an unreasonably low slot count. I believe the multiplier is set to 1.0, which means many main airports will have 90 slots in 2035.

In a game with unlimited OOB to encourage competition, this seems counter productive.

Tungstennedge

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
Re: Unreasonably low slot count
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 01:26:49 AM »
This is going to be like intermittent fasting.

Gorge for a little while, wait (fast) for 5 years, gorge again, fast again for 5 years...

Sami invents some wonderful new mechanics for airport growth, and then he completely ruins it with some hard cap that makes the new feature worse than what the game was before the feature was added.

At this point, I would rather play with old slot rules, before Infrastructure based slots.  You could at least play the game back then...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 03:09:42 AM by JumboShrimp »

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 04:24:18 AM »
The slot factor is not 1, the numbers will be up gradually.

Online schlaf

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 08:58:59 AM »

So what is the slot factor?

Will there be as many slots in this game world as it is in a normal game world?

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 09:27:00 AM »

Even 1.5x multiplier is an anticompetitive incumbent protection system.  I can see everyone at big airports with 100% LFs, hiked prices, printing money, with no worries about any competition, because by the time a serious competitive is ready to open a base, all of the desirable slots are locked.

Offline groundbum2

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2021, 09:35:50 AM »
it could be time to look at dis-incentivizing using small planes at major international hubs. 20 seat Cessna's at JFK or Heathrow? Really? Perhaps this would be reasonable when CBD and there are no more fixed mega hubs

Offline tungstennedge

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2021, 10:01:54 AM »
Small planes is not even the problem. Small plane ecomomics already sucks vs large, and even mediums are difficult to justify in games where OOB limits exist. However, slot multipliers in the 1-1.5 range are just not fun. 1 is borderline insanity. If every daytime slot is used, strictly for passenger activities major airports will still not manage to reach significant enough oversupply margins to actually trouble any airlines. We can just sit back and print money which is not competitive of fun at all. Whats the hurt of just setting the multiplier to life 2.0? Slot numbers would be unrealistically high, thats true, however, demand in this game is almost 2x if not higher for passengers alone and cargo numbers are from another planet in comparison to real life. 90 slots is not enough for normal AWS gameplay.

Worlds would be way funner if we just set the multipliers higher to like 2.0 and it seems like a remarkably easy change to make. I hope its even possible to retroactively change the slot multipliers of old worlds higher because this would just be more fun. Many players, like myself and jumbo  hate waiting years for a infrastructure upgrade, only for the slots to be taken in months and then be left with nothing to do. Unlimited OOB only helps cargo as we can actually direct it to new, smaller airports but for passengers its just hopeless as pax only fly to popular airports. MT having unlimited can at least be played for cargo, but why make passenger operations so limited? makes no sense in my mind.

Why are we buffing the already overpowered playstyle?

Anyways, I beg for more slots in future, and even previous worlds, it just breeds higher and more fun competition.

-Tungstennedge
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 10:04:08 AM by tungstennedge »

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2021, 10:24:36 AM »
Agreed, the route supply needs to reach 2x the demand for the player to even notice there is compeition.

The big airports currently, at 30-40 slots can barely serve 25% of the demand.  And we need to see 10x of that, supply of all airlines being at 200-250% to see any competition.

Offline Lennertlenor

• Members

The 2 people who like this post:
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2021, 10:28:02 AM »
agreed, with the unlimited oob, I personally think it should be matched with high slots and perhaps even increased aircraft production rates. The idea of unlimited oob was to increase competition, but in this way the bottleneck on competition is moved, not removed.

Offline tungstennedge

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2021, 10:37:42 AM »
agreed, with the unlimited oob, I personally think it should be matched with high slots and perhaps even increased aircraft production rates. The idea of unlimited oob was to increase competition, but in this way the bottleneck on competition is moved, not removed.

Your point is spot on, the bottlebeck was just moved. I think aircraft production rates would also help spectacularly to give the game more playability.

Offline Continental Sky

• Members
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2021, 02:02:11 PM »
I'd say it's noticeable in Modern Times because it's crowded, 253 players now, and I guess settings are adjusted for 700 players; that's 36% "load", so to say.

Other max-700-players worlds have 25-27% load, The Jet Age only 13%. The multiplier should follow that load - more players in the game, more slots needed to allow everyone a chance to grow.

Offline groundbum2

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2021, 07:03:13 PM »
or keep slots as is, and implement passenger CBD and we can have 5 international airports compete to serve London, New York, LA, Chicago etc.

Simon

Offline ak.123346

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2021, 10:54:39 PM »
I agree with the posters that would like the system to be more open and less restrictive. If the limiting factor comes from competition from other players, the game will self regulate and it will feel a lot more interactive. PVP aspects tend to be more engaging than PVE, generally speaking.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2021, 07:11:48 AM »
Other max-700-players worlds have 25-27% load, The Jet Age only 13%. The multiplier should follow that load - more players in the game, more slots needed to allow everyone a chance to grow.

For playability, slots would depend on demand, not number of players.  There should be enough slots to serve 2x to 3x demand.

(Demand could depend on number of players)

Offline tungstennedge

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2022, 12:53:38 AM »
Look like while I may have jumped the gun on the slot multiplier count, I still think almost every point different players brought up are quite valid. Hopefully the MT slot count is much higher than expected and future worlds aswell :)

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2022, 01:22:53 AM »
Look like while I may have jumped the gun on the slot multiplier count, I still think almost every point different players brought up are quite valid. Hopefully the MT slot count is much higher than expected and future worlds aswell :)

Well, mainly for this one.

Isn't the world supposed to end, like any day now, according to the climate scientists alarmists?

Offline schro

• Members

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2022, 01:40:25 AM »
I guess we won't get a plane shortage thread with this game. Seems like it'll be slots.  ;D ;D

Offline tungstennedge

• Members
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2022, 03:18:43 AM »
I guess we won't get a plane shortage thread with this game. Seems like it'll be slots.  ;D ;D

The thing with plane shortages, is that unless they are extreme then there are always more fleet options. You can use lesser used types and fly those around/ The problem with slot and OOB restrictions is you literally have no gameplay left to do except wait. I hope this game doesnt become like that

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2022, 04:45:12 AM »

Well, that may be coming when we find out Sami put a hard cap on the production lines.  :)

Because the best use of the hours put into programing an organic system that is able to self adjust based on demand is to put in a hard cap on the production line, and ruin that perfectly functioning system (and the time that went into programing it.

Which results in 150 people trying to get 2 DC-6 aircraft per month, in other words, 300 per month, and the production line is hard coded to be capped at 20 per month.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.