Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] Base in a foreign country  (Read 93 times)

Offline Taffo346

• Members
[-] Base in a foreign country
« on: June 09, 2021, 08:05:22 AM »
Sorry if this was already discussed.
I think it should be possible to open a base in a foreign country for flying to routes to the home country. For example, there is high demand between Tokyo and several Chinese cities. Instead of opening base to each Chinese city and allocating personnel and at least 1 aircraft to fly to Tokyo, a Chinese carrier should be able to open a base in Tokyo and fly to any Chinese city.
Obviously, there should be limitations for this. For example, there should be minimum of x number of routes from the foreign base. So, a Chinese carrier cannot fly only Tokyo-Beijing from base in Tokyo.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 09:33:32 AM by Sami »

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: Base in a foreign country
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 09:33:12 AM »
The basic rules are based on real life, and will not be changed.

There are occasional special-rules games where these real-world geopolitical rules are lifted, such as Speed World.

Offline Taffo346

• Members

The person who likes this post:
Re: [-] Base in a foreign country
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 01:45:25 PM »
Sorry but there is no real life rule that prevents opening a base in a foreign country as long as you operate from the foreign base only to your home country. Indeed, there are many airlines that open a base in a foreign country. The airline which I am working is just one example.

Besides, it does not violate a game rule. I can only fly to my home country from the foreign base. Why should I open base to every Chinese city if I want to fly from Tokyo to all Chinese cities?

Last but not least, come on, this is just a game. Although real life rules are necessary to make it realistic, the game is not 100% realistic.

Online Cornishman

• Members

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 10:26:12 PM »
Mate, we've tried and tried and tried for years to suggest things like this, I'm getting the feeling that this whole thread about "Feature Requests" is pretty damned pointless since 99.999r % of everything anyone ever posts is ignored or turned down flat no matter what is requested. On this specific topic in the past, I too have called out for some amendments along these lines. There have been some convincing arguments why this game would not benefit from a "free-for-all" on base selections across the globe, so perhaps just this subject on its' own isn't the best example, but to be honest, don't know why I bother reading or commenting anymore in these threads! Sorry if that hurts anyone's feelings and I mean no insult, but that's the conclusion one must draw here. I'm just getting on with enjoying what I can from the game as it is, but ever expecting this thread to make an ounce of difference on any subject .......  :,(
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 10:35:45 PM by Cornishman »

Offline dmoose42

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 01:49:54 AM »
I don’t think your comments are unfounded, but in fairness to Sami, he did say a couple years ago that he had a development plan for AWS that he was following and would only be selectively taking input from the features forum - but I get the frustration - and I stopped posting here years ago - for largely similar reasons.

Offline Taffo346

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 05:56:12 AM »
I saw many other requests and to be honest, I never saw a positive answer. On the contrary, I feel some arrogance in the answers. I have the feeling that the "Feature Requests" is used for "Tell us what you want so that we will not do it".

Anyway, although the game keeps repeating itself after some time, it still has some fun until you get to the repeating point.

Online Cornishman

• Members

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 08:49:35 AM »
Agree with you both - sadly my opinion is that it might be more honest to just take this thread down because it suggests to folk that something could be done if you post something here, but in reality ...  :,(

Anyway, like I said, thesedays I expect zero and therefore am not disappointed  :laugh:

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2021, 09:39:27 AM »
Didn't mean to write in a bad tone, I'm just often on the mobile phone only so writing a long life-story isn't the option :)

In most cases there are restrictions when a fully foreign-owned company can open a sister/subcompany to other country, or in other words you are required to do such an expansion by setting up a totally different company there. Before the EU times for example an airline from Finland had to set up a 49%-owned company to Estonia (with 51% owned by some "friendly partner" from the locals) in order to be able to open a base/airline there. And since we are only modelling a single airline/company here, this is indeed a not realistic proposal.

But the previously discussed subsidiary system is the right way towards this.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 11:02:56 AM by Sami »

Offline Taffo346

• Members

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2021, 11:11:07 AM »
I don't want to have a prolonged discussion here, but subsidiary system is totally different. Considering our example of China and Japan, a Chinese operator cannot transfer pax between two Japanese cities. But if a Chinese airline has a subsidiary based in Japan, the subsidiary is a Japanese airline, not a Chinese airline. In that case, the airline can transfer pax from Japan to any country in the world. Like Etihad (UAE) having Alitalia (Italy - EU) as a subsidiary, HNA (China) having ACT Airlines (TR) as a subsidiary, or Turkish Airlines (TR) having Air Albania (Albania) as a subsidiary. There are many more examples in real life.

However, I am talking about a Chinese airline that transfers pax from Tokyo to any Chinese city by using Tokyo as a base. For this, the Chinese airline doesn't have to have a subsidiary in Japan. The airline only places one aircraft in Tokyo and that is it. With the current game rules, in order to fly 5 different Chinese cities from Tokyo, I have to open bases in those 5 Chinese cities, which is not feasible neither in the game, nor in real life.

China and Japan are only for example.

I don't know much about programming web based games or making such kind of changes in a game. However, I can understand doing this may have difficulties, it might require great amount of man hour for the developers etc. But rejecting this request because of not having it in real life is not a valid point.

Nevertheless, it was just an idea and I believe it is worth considering. However, I am not in a position to force you to do this.

Offline Dobbs1996

• Members

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2021, 10:41:28 PM »
One possible option, and I know Aer Lingus does it. Fly from DUB (base) to LGW, LGW to NOC, NOC to LGW, LGW to DUB. This allows for airlines to operate from another country to an airport in their home country without having to open another base in their home country. This flight would be allowed if the airline had a base in NOC but is avoiding having to open a base in a small airport by utilizing a DUB based aircraft on the route. Just a thought and I'm sure it has been suggested before

Offline Taffo346

• Members

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2021, 06:09:57 AM »
Yes, this is possible and (I think) the best way without opening a base. However, this was already discussed as ABCBA routes in several topics and as far as I learnt from those topics, it was allowed in the game some time in the past. But some people exploited it and it is now not allowed.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.