Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Smaller airline, thinner routes  (Read 80 times)

Offline caymanair

• Members
Smaller airline, thinner routes
« on: April 16, 2021, 12:45:58 AM »
I'm exploring what it would be like to run a smaller airline, spread fairly thinly in this game. I think I will ultimately aim for 8 or 9 bases in fairly secondary cities, so don't think any base will ever have more than about 20 aircraft (and a few with perhaps less than 10). AWS tends to reward big airlines and penalize companies that keep it small and grow conservatively, but is it possible to survive on the scale I'm envisioning?

Offline RALLX

• Members
Re: Smaller airline, thinner routes
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 06:50:34 AM »
Yes. You will not be in the first half of the airlines rank, but it is definitely viable provided that you operate routes between smaller airports as well. However you might find it hard to fly routes from your smaller base to major airports because the slots fee is too high. Being a small airline with much smaller financial capability, major airport slot fee might be substantial.

Flying small airplanes is hard, I would suggest you mix it with medium airplanes.

Offline gazzz0x2z

• Members
Re: Smaller airline, thinner routes
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 08:48:04 AM »
Small aircraft are very hard to make work, but mediums can spread out rather well. I had 810 S2000s, once (for less than 1100 aircraft).

10 aircraft per base is really a stretch, though. Fixed costs are not negligible. Around 15/20 mediums per base, though, it should be profitable. At this scale, though, aim for props. There are good medium props all along the game, CV440, NAMC, ATR, A140. Bigger viscounts & Q400s also do an excellent job - but you need a better LF to make them viable. my CV440s in the 70s (after the first fuel spike) are profitable around 20 seats sold per route. earlier, the break-even was around 15 seats.

The main trouble with mediums is that they lack punch to build cash rapidly (unless you go visount in the early ages, if you fill them, they can be insanely profitable). But a medium game is really playable. It's just another tempo.

Remember also that the costs for a medium base are not much higher than for a small base. The real jump is for a large base (with great costs come great rewards - as long as there is demand, though).

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.