Less types = Win?

Started by matte629, May 03, 2009, 07:21:11 PM

matte629

I know that IRL: Less planes = Better economy

Is this implemented here, and if so, how?

Sami

matte629

Ok. My plan was to minimize the fleet to have as less pilots as possible and such. But, would be waste of money if that wasn't implemented.. :-p

Why i'm asking is becouse very many airliners have like, 1 plane type each. Feels very bad economic..

Sigma

Notice if you look at your Fleet Commonality screen, that each type has a rather large semi-fixed cost for maintenance purposes -- for example my first A300 had a higher type maintenance cost than my entire fleet of 24 Fokkers at the time, but each subsequent Airbus has only added a relatively small amount to that figure.  Plus significant training costs to train your mechanics on an all new type.  As you add additional planes of that same type, the maintenance cost only increases a small amount.

The same also occurs with engines, and it's engines that can consume a lot of maintenance dollars fast since you'll likely have a great many of them.  The first engine of a type has a high maintenance cost and each subsequent one has a much smaller maintenance cost.

Sigma

Quote from: matte629 on May 03, 2009, 08:53:56 PM
Ok. My plan was to minimize the fleet to have as less pilots as possible and such. But, would be waste of money if that wasn't implemented.. :-p

Why i'm asking is becouse very many airliners have like, 1 plane type each. Feels very bad economic..

Early in the games, and all going games are still pretty early, planes are hard to come by.  So some airlines choose to take whatever aircraft suits their needs in order to get a route open and expand.

If you do it right, it can work in your favor.  You can make enough money to offset your higher costs which can then go to buying a lot of whatever type of plane you want.  Early in the game there's less competition so you can keep margins on flights high enough to offset the higher maintenance costs.

Do it wrong though, keep focusing on expanding and not buying new planes which can take a while to get, and you end up stuck in an endless cycle of continually buying whatever plane you can get your hands on.  Then when competition heats up, you can't afford to cut costs as much as the better-prepared guy and you go bankrupt.

matte629

Yeh..

i'm in a another situation. When i entered the game, most of the market was filled so i'm now 1.5 years after everyone else. So, personally, i think it was good that i stayed with one plane (i have another temporary leased, but thats just, as said, temporary). Would be to much money to replace every plane..