Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: MAX 10 payload limit?  (Read 121 times)

Offline NovemberCharlie

• Members
MAX 10 payload limit?
« on: January 28, 2021, 08:55:56 AM »
Hi all,

I was checking one of my payload limited routes CHC-FUN and noticed something a bit weird.
I was fully expecting FUN-CHC to be limited due to runway length at FUN.
However, CHC-FUN is also limited...
ESAD on the route is 2266nm, so well within the range of the MAX 10.
Runway length at CHC is not limiting for the MAX 10 at 3288m, with 2900m being required.

Still the route planner gives me a restriction to 107 on the CHC-FUN leg.
Restriction homeward is due to the 1500m runway at FUN, though I have added a tech stop. Still seems a bit much as well...

Anyone have a clue why the ex-CHC flight is so limited?

Cheers,

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: MAX 10 payload limit?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 09:31:11 AM »
The landing distance at the destination is most likely the factor here, since the runway at the destination is so short.

(n.b. the aircraft database doesn't store separate actual landing distance tables for the aircraft models so it's a rough calculation based on the other aircraft specifications, but usually close enough)

Offline NovemberCharlie

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 10:41:22 AM »
Thanks for the answer Sami.
That probably explains it.

It does strike me as a bit odd though, at least in this particular case
1500m insufficient for a MAX10 on landing...The take off limitation is based on a rotation angle issue, which should not be a problem for landing... (and at that the MAX 10 landing gear has been redesigned to mitigate this issue, so the takeoff distance shouldn’t be *that much* worse than the MAX 9s)

It also somewhat bugs me that this information is not conveyed on the aircraft information page...
I believe only my FUN operation is restrictive for me in this game, but if I had played say in Brazil from SDU my MAX order would have been an expensive mistake (though of course that might be considered a realism feature  :P)

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 11:03:45 AM »
To be honest, a 1500m runway for a modern (large) jet is a really short runway. Don't have the B737s charts open here, but generally we're talking of ~2000m minimum for this sized jets to give a full payload capability for landing (n.b. the actual landing distance is of course less but the runway length requirement includes all sorts of regulatory safety factors, so you can't land on a 1000m runway if the calculated stopping distance from touchdown is 950m .. to give a bit of a background story from the real world).

The internally calculated landing distances are not shown since they are not that accurate and in 99.5% of the cases it's the takeoff requirement's fault anyway. But with the v.2 performance update this data was started to be collected so maybe it's added some day for player's view too.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 11:08:04 AM by Sami »

Offline NovemberCharlie

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 11:30:59 AM »
To be honest, a 1500m runway for a modern (large) jet is a really short runway. Don't have the B737s charts open here, but generally we're talking of ~2000m minimum for this sized jets to give a full payload capability for landing (n.b. the actual landing distance is of course less but the runway length requirement includes all sorts of regulatory safety factors, so you can't land on a 1000m runway if the calculated stopping distance from touchdown is 950m .. to give a bit of a background story from the real world).

The internally calculated landing distances are not shown since they are not that accurate and in 99.5% of the cases it's the takeoff requirement's fault anyway. But with the v.2 performance update this data was started to be collected so maybe it's added some day for player's view too.

Well looking at the landing performance chart of the MAX 9 (dug up from the Boeing airport planning document) it doesn't seem to be too far fetched.
66 tonnes on landing. That should definitely leave space for more than the 11 pax the game tells me...

Main point as far as I am concerned is the lack of information here off.
I understand that the programming of the game is complex and that assumptions need to be made.

A simple note "aircraft landing performance is interpolated from data x, y, z and might also limit operations" (or something along those lines) under the runway requirements tab would add some transparency and give people a greater chance at considering this before placing a order....

Thanks again for your time and answers Sami!

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.