Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Concorde Engines  (Read 211 times)

Online Highlander1715

• Members
Concorde Engines
« on: January 06, 2021, 10:42:49 PM »
I would love to add some Concordes to my fleet especially as I am only running two fleet types both using Bristol engines.  In 1962 the current game year the Concorde engines are Bristol Siddeley Olympus engines they will not be Rolls Royce engines until 1966 when RR acquires BS presumably all my Bristol engines will become RR in 1966?

Offline knobbygb

• Members
Re: Concorde Engines
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 07:42:21 AM »
No idea, but it won't make any difference. Engine commonality in general only has a very small impact and sticking to an individual manufacturer (for different engines) makes no difference whatsoever.

Online Highlander1715

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 11:23:28 AM »
I am well aware of the minimal impact of engine commonality.  What about historical accuracy?  The  Bristol Aero company invented the Olympus engine in 1946, became Bristol Siddeley in 1959 and were not acquired by Rolls Royce until 1966.

Offline sanabas

• Members

The 3 people who like this post:
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 07:08:58 PM »
What about historical accuracy?

What about it? IRL, concordes had rolls royce engines. So in game, even if they launch in 1961, they're shown as having rolls royce engines. Same as it's shown as being built by Aerospatiale, even though they didn't become aerospatiale until 1970.

Online Highlander1715

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 01:17:59 PM »
So the Proteus engines on all those post 1966 Britannia’s in the Production slots will be RR Proteus then?

Offline sanabas

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 12:36:11 AM »
Of course not.

Online Highlander1715

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 12:58:02 AM »
But they were RR Proteus IRL after 1966 why the double standard?  Don't get me wrong I like RR engines I have a 6.75l V8 Crewe built one in my Bentley Arnage

Offline sanabas

• Members

The 4 people who like this post:
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 01:44:40 AM »
There is no double standard. Stuff gets the name it had IRL. Simple and historically accurate.

Trying to track what company merged when, what company changed name when, what company folded when, and what badge an imaginary engine might have had is futile, and doesn't add anything.

IRL, concorde came with rolls royce engines. In game, concorde comes with rolls royce engines. Even if you're looking at concorde in 1961, before those rolls royce engines were a thing. IRL, britannias came with proteus engines. In game, britannias come with proteus engines. Even if they're being built in 1975, after proteus was no longer a thing. If I keep the martin production line open until 1996, I'm still ordering Martin 404s, I'm not getting Martin-Marietta 404s or Lockheed-Martin 404s. DC-8s are still Douglas DC-8s, they don't change to MD DC-8 in 1967, or to Boeing DC-8s in 1997.

Every Britannia ever built IRL had a proteus engine. So every Britannia ever built in game gets the same historically accurate proteus engine. If you want to imagine there's a different badge on the engine, go for it. If you think it damages 'historical accuracy' to not have Britannias get a RR badge on their engines after 1966, but it doesn't damage historical accuracy to have more than 2000 of them built instead of the 85 RL managed, then I don't know what to say.

Online Highlander1715

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2021, 04:18:21 AM »
Not imaginary it’s right under that hood

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.