Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Confusion regarding game rules / routes vs. seats aka oversupply  (Read 126 times)

Offline Tom White

• Members
Confusion regarding game rules / routes vs. seats aka oversupply
« on: December 28, 2020, 10:08:35 PM »
The game rules read as follows

"The seat supply may not exceed the given 200% limit on any single day (each day's demand vs. supply is checked separately)."

My interpretation:
  • Demand on Monday 100 pax ... max seats that can be supplied 200
  • Demand on Sunday 50 pax ... max seats that can be supplied 100

Correct?

"In practice this means that if estimated passenger demand on a route is 100pax per day (weekly average) the airline may not fly more than 200pax per day on that route segment. Any more seats supplied would be considered dumping the seats and thus trying to limit competition and entrance of other airlines to the route."

Now this is the confusing as this states the weekly average of demand. In the above example this would be 75 pax therefore 150 seats??

"Keep in mind that the passenger demands shown in the game are estimates and their accuracy depends on the staff efficiency of each airline but generally the demand numbers are +/-30% accurate - if there are doubts the administration can check the actual value."

So to be safe always deduct 30% of the demand displayed??

And finally, if the auto oversupply correction is used, it sets the limit to the lowest day of the week, but in case the return leg of the route has a lower demand, it would still be an oversupply?

Still quite new and trying to comprehend the simulation.   :D

Offline sanabas

• Members

The person who likes this post:
Re: Confusion regarding game rules / routes vs. seats aka oversupply
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 12:05:56 AM »
Just fly it. If you get a warning, you've got plenty of time, so just manually reduce the seats by a bit.

In practice, it only matters on very thin routes, with one flight/day. If the average is 15 and the range looks to be 12-18, then set the limit to 25, and probably you're fine. If you get a warning, drop it to 22, and the warning will go away in a week when it checks again. And it doesn't make any difference to your seats sold if you're supplying 22 or 52 seats on a single flight, you're still getting 15 seats per day, 7-8 if there's a competing flight.

If the route is 75 pax, then there's zero reason to supply 150 seats, and should never happen. If you're flying a route more than once a day, you've also got no reason to trigger a warning. Only ones you might trigger is inadvertently flying at different times, so that your outbound has 1 flight/day, but the return has one day with no flights and one day with 2. e.g. 25 pax route, you have a single 40 seater. sun-fri you fly at 2200, return at 2355 same day. sat you fly at 2205, return at 0000, which is the sunday. So the return leg has no saturday flights, 80 pax on 2 sunday flights.

Demand is symmetrical on all but a handful of routes, if you do happen to find one that is asymmetrical, then yes, you'll need to stick to no more than double the smaller leg.

Offline Tom White

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 09:14:01 AM »
The reason I am mainly asking is because of the following:

Route demand on average 220, I supplied with one flight (7 days) with a capacity of 261 seats. Definitely not an oversupply situation. Running the route over a year without competition.

Competition enters supplying 325 seats on a single flight (6 day)?! Demand is still around 220-200. As I had a spare plane, I added a second flight with 261 seats for frequency. Promptly triggering the oversupply notice. Now do I limit the seats to the average of the week or can I adjust to each single day, maxing the offered capacity?

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 09:16:02 AM »
Don't over-complicate it (i.e. "no panic") :) If you get the automated warning you have plenty of time to react and correct.

But be sure to check the demand both ways (there and back) since it may be different. Usually the staff estimate is much more accurate than +/-30% too.

(Also whatever the competition does is not your "problem" in regards of the rules. Each airline can individually fly up to 200% of the demand. So on a 200 pax route even let's say 20 different airlines can each fly 400 seats daily and it's fine by the rules. The only point of the rule is to stop one airline spamming small routes.)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 09:18:31 AM by Sami »

Offline Tom White

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 09:31:19 AM »
Thx Sami  :)

How much is plenty of time?

Yes, the competition entry on the route is within the rules, even tough it does not seem to make sense with 325 seats on a 200 demand route. It can't be making money. To make it tougher, I added frequency which should result in the 200 pax being divided over 3 flights instead of 2. But triggering the oversupply. Don`t know if this is the best strategy to counter such a situation, but with trying one will get smarter.

One question still remains, do I have to adjust to the average of the week or can I set different limits each day as demand differs?

Offline sanabas

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 12:52:32 PM »
Competition enters supplying 325 seats on a single flight (6 day)?! Demand is still around 220-200. As I had a spare plane, I added a second flight with 261 seats for frequency. Promptly triggering the oversupply notice. Now do I limit the seats to the average of the week or can I adjust to each single day, maxing the offered capacity?

Again, your capacity isn't relevant to how many seats you sell. You have 2 daily flights, they have 1, you'll get around 2/3 of pax, they'll get around 1/3. Demand is about 220, so just limit both your flights to 200. You'll get about 75 pax per flight, regardless of whether you've limited seating to 100, 150, 200 or left it at 261.

How much is plenty of time?

2 months in game? So 30 RL hours.

One question still remains, do I have to adjust to the average of the week or can I set different limits each day as demand differs?

Setting different limits for each day is pointless.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 12:55:10 PM by sanabas »

Offline Tom White

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2020, 02:31:54 PM »
Thank you! Very clear now.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.