Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Scheduling tech stops and allowed aircraft type  (Read 251 times)

Offline Tom White

• Members
Scheduling tech stops and allowed aircraft type
« on: December 18, 2020, 09:08:49 PM »
Hi,

I am quite new and joined DOTM today.

Now, I am facing scheduling and including tech stops on transatlantic flights from US to Europe. The ideal place would be Gander (CYQX), but on the airport information page it reads "allowed aircraft types - size class: Small aircraft, Medium aircraft, Large aircraft". I assume this means that Very Large aircraft cannot tech stop there. As I am using L-1011 TriStars, which are size class Very Large, I therefore used St. Johns (CYYT).

While taking a look at other users of the same aircraft, I see from their time tables, that they are scheduling via Gander (CYQX)!? I went back to the scheduling editor and tried with Gander as well and it lets me schedule the route as well. What am I missing?

Offline sanabas

• Members
Re: Scheduling tech stops and allowed aircraft type
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 02:23:39 AM »
I assume this means that Very Large aircraft cannot tech stop there.

This assumption is incorrect. Size restrictions do not apply to tech-stops. If it has enough runway for you, you can use it.

Offline sanabas

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 02:35:21 AM »
Think of the VL restrictions as being more about not having the infrastructure for loading/unloading plane of that size and that many pax. For simply landing, refueling,departing, it can cope.

Offline Tom White

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 08:16:37 AM »
Thank you!

Size restrictions do not apply on tech stops, I could not find that in the manual. Maybe it should be added?

Offline Tom White

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 08:18:03 AM »
And back to re-scheduling via Gander  8)

Online Maxair

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2020, 10:50:06 AM »
In actual reality Gander can accommodate the largest aircraft in the world easily. Go look at pictures from throughout its history. Especially 9/11. Not sure why in the game not all size classes can be handled but its kind of irrelevant as you aren’t likely to run VLs there anyway. Aside from techs that is.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2020, 11:17:31 AM »
In actual reality Gander can accommodate the largest aircraft in the world easily.

The runway length is not the only thing which matters here. The infrastructure level models the tarmac, gate/stand and terminal capacity too. And while you can park a dozen of 767s on the runway during 9/11, you can't really expect the facilities to cope with multiple (simultaneous) widebody jet flights on a regular basis in normal operations. (That's the whole point of the infrastructure classes in the sim.)

Online Maxair

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 04:38:19 AM »
Again. Go look at Gander airport on google maps or look at any pictures from pre 2000 where it was a designated tech stop for basically every airline plying the Atlantic. TWA even had a crew base there. Literally thousands of pictures available of a half dozen or more widebodies sitting on one of the largest aprons wrapped around one of the largest terminals in eastern Canada. If YQM or YSJ can handle VL aircraft then so should YQX. There are 10 wide body stands wrapped around the terminal at YQX. After the war the airport was developed purposely to handle large amounts of trans atlantic traffic. The infrastructure was purpose built to handle multiples of the largest aircraft out there. The game should reflect that.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 04:44:19 AM by Maxair »

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.