Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: question about cancled flights  (Read 245 times)

Offline mizuki

• Members
question about cancled flights
« on: December 13, 2020, 11:50:36 PM »
so my airline is still very small and i have one daly flight from KMDW to KEWR and one daly flight form KMDW  to KJFK flights leave KMDW with only a 15 min gap.  however i have had 2 of the KEWR flights cancled due to weather yet none of the KJFK.  this seams odd as the weather at KMDW is obviously the same and KEWR and KJFK are close enough taht weather affecting one should affect the other. so why am i getting weather cansilations at one but not the other?

Online groundbum2

• Members

The person who likes this post:
Re: question about cancled flights
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 12:07:49 AM »
what you say about proximity and weather systems is totally correct, but I suspect the the computer logic/code that decides on cancellations doesn't real have proximity coded into it. Ie, every month worldwide it picks randomly 100 flights to cancel for weather. It would be quite complex to add regional weather systems into the logic, and overkill for what is a game!

Simon

Offline seafax

• Members

The 2 people who like this post:
Re: question about cancled flights
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 05:08:57 AM »
KEWR and KJFK are close enough taht weather affecting one should affect the other. so why am i getting weather cansilations at one but not the other?

I can't speak for how the game handles it internally, so this post is just for fun, but your scenario is realistic and it does occur in real life due to the impact of weather (especially wind) on the complex airspace surrounding EWR/LGA/JFK.  It is not uncommon for EWR to be restricted by a ground delay program (inbound EDCT and/or ground-stops) while the other area airports are running smoothly, even on clear days occasionally.  This can occur especially when the upper-midwest jetstream dips further south than usual and creates strong tailwinds for Eastbound arrivals (which make up most of EWR's traffic, since it is on the East Coast).  These tailwinds increase the groundspeed of arriving aircraft up in the Flight Level altitudes (sometimes by as much as 100-150+ extra kts), and it leads to compression on the Approach and Final segments because everyone down low near the airport is basically pegged at 250kts GS or less. 

Since ATC must maintain standard time/distance separation between flights, as the quick arrivals start to stack up ATC has no choice but to start issuing vectors to space people out more and more.  Once the compression gets bad enough to require the use of holding patterns, the FAA starts issuing departure delays to inbound flights because they'd rather have planes wait at their origin airports (in this example, MDW) instead of burning gas in a holding pattern and risking diversion.  If this adverse wind situation occurs with poor visibility/ceilings at the airport, the delays get even worse because ATC needs greater separation and a larger airspace footprint to issue instrument approaches rather than visual approaches.

This entire mess does impact all the NY airports, but EWR is especially vulnerable because there isn't as much space to put people when arrivals begin stacking up.  JFK can vector planes out over the water.  LGA can send people up the Hudson or over the LI sound.  EWR is tucked in between not just LGA/JFK, but also PHL to the South, ABE to the West, and HPN/SWF/TEB to the North.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 05:11:16 AM by seafax »

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.