Istanbul Airport Swap

Started by CraigAbz, September 14, 2020, 09:11:20 PM

CraigAbz

In beginners world now with a Turkish-based airline. 

The game gave me a year's warning that Istanbul Atatürk was closing and my base there would be switched over to Istanbul New Airport.  Do nothing.  Cost you nothing.  Didn't seem a problem. 

Now based at New Airport, and I get oversupply alerts.  Some long-haul demand has gone through the floor. Toronto from 500+ to 175.  KL from 250+ to under 100 and more.  I can't see any that have drastically increased.  Nor has the demand gone to the other smaller Istanbul airport.

Some vagaries in demand seems part of the game.  But how is this realistic?  This has royally messed up my scheduling.  I have meticulously planned permutations of 7 wide body aircraft doing 6 destinations etc and even if I can find other destinations, it will be nigh impossible fit them in timing wise. 

As I said, I knew of the swap over.  But there was no warning that two thirds of passengers would overnight decide not to fly to some destinations given they're going out of a new airport. 

If there's a silver lining to this I'm missing, please let me know! 

Moan over

C

DanDan

Quote from: CraigAbz on September 14, 2020, 09:11:20 PM
In beginners world now with a Turkish-based airline. 

The game gave me a year's warning that Istanbul Atatürk was closing and my base there would be switched over to Istanbul New Airport.  Do nothing.  Cost you nothing.  Didn't seem a problem. 

Now based at New Airport, and I get oversupply alerts.  Some long-haul demand has gone through the floor. Toronto from 500+ to 175.  KL from 250+ to under 100 and more.  I can't see any that have drastically increased.  Nor has the demand gone to the other smaller Istanbul airport.

Some vagaries in demand seems part of the game.  But how is this realistic?  This has royally messed up my scheduling.  I have meticulously planned permutations of 7 wide body aircraft doing 6 destinations etc and even if I can find other destinations, it will be nigh impossible fit them in timing wise. 

As I said, I knew of the swap over.  But there was no warning that two thirds of passengers would overnight decide not to fly to some destinations given they're going out of a new airport. 

If there's a silver lining to this I'm missing, please let me know! 

Moan over

C

yeah, the new airport in istanbul is just so big, noone wants to fly there ;)
recommendation: write a bug report for it, since else nothing will happen for the next GW about it

knobbygb

The same thing happens in Tokyo when HND moves to NRT. A great way to go from being No1 airline making a huge profit to BK warnings in a few months.  Some of the demand slowly recovers (months) while other destinations take 10 to 15 years to naturally grow to the previous level.  A very few places have higher demand when NRT opens but most are down by 30% to 80%.  Add to that the fact that ALL your domestic flights have to be cancelled and re-started back at HND - with ZERO Route Image and it can be a real challenge. At least you don't have that issue at IST!

As for bug reports, I wouldn't bother really. I think it's just a quirk of how the game mechanics work. It's been like that for years and is unlikely to be fixed, although it does make me wonder why it does this at some airport and not others.  FYI in future games, ORY-CDG seems to work fine (although there is still the issue with domestic stuff).

CraigAbz

OK thanks Folks.  Ykes, that sounds a whole lot worse in Tokyo!

JDM

I'll use this post to ask something else about the new IST airport.
So, current Beginners's World #1 and New Airport just opened. New infrastrucure, more than 4 runways and no new slots added??? WTF??

And as per your comments above, it seems I will have to check all my routes to fix oversupplying issues! So where is the improvement?  >:(

Mort

Quote from: JDM on October 18, 2020, 06:40:09 AM
I'll use this post to ask something else about the new IST airport.
So, current Beginners's World #1 and New Airport just opened. New infrastrucure, more than 4 runways and no new slots added??? WTF??

And as per your comments above, it seems I will have to check all my routes to fix oversupplying issues! So where is the improvement?  >:(

As per the manual, slots are tied directly to infrastructure level.