The Modern Times game opens on Friday 21st August

Started by Sami, August 13, 2020, 02:33:24 PM

Sami

The Modern Times game will open on Friday August 21st

» Pre-join now!

This game world focuses on managing the airlines in the present and future era and is our most popular game world. The basic settings are:
  • Time span: 1998 - 2030, at 30 minutes per game day.
  • Normal difficulty level / Medium length scenario.
  • All airports globally and all aircraft models included.
  • The overall play duration of this game is about 8 months.

This scenario will open at approximately 15 UTC on Friday August 21st (15 UTC is 11am in NYC and midnight in Tokyo). Click on the link to pre-join this game!

» Pre-join The Modern Times game

JumboShrimp

Can the end date of Modern Times be changed to 2035?

DonViany

Dear,

Is the game without political restrictions when it comes to having base airports? or are you limited to a country or European Union?
(FYI: I'm highly more interested if you can open airports anywhere...)

Kind regards
Don

Sami

This game has the standard and real world / realistic basing rules. Only the special games have occasionally exceptions to these.

DonViany

Quote from: Sami on August 14, 2020, 09:04:00 AM
This game has the standard and real world / realistic basing rules. Only the special games have occasionally exceptions to these.

Hello,

I'm not sure about the many laws in the world, but I guess you mean that you can have base airports anywhere you want?

Kind regards
Don

Mort

Quote from: DonViany on August 14, 2020, 12:57:51 PM
Hello,

I'm not sure about the many laws in the world, but I guess you mean that you can have base airports anywhere you want?

Kind regards
Don

If you start an airline in the US, you are limited to opening bases in the US or it's territories.

If you start an airline in France, you are limited to opening bases in France or it's territories. After 1997 you can open bases in the EU

Only in special challenge worlds do the basing restrictions get removed and you can then open bases anywhere worldwide no matter where your HQ is

MikeS

I wouldn't mind shorter game days, say: 20 min?!

groundbum2

Quote from: MikeS on August 16, 2020, 05:58:39 PM
I wouldn't mind shorter game days, say: 20 min?!

hear hear. Maybe after a game year or two..

Simon

gazzz0x2z

I've found the 25 minutes of the Asian Challenge to be perfect for my tastes. Of course, your milage may vary.

Being able to base everywhere is a double edged sword; you've got much more freedom, but at the same time, you're protected nowhere. The Asian challenge has been especially bloody for that very reason, even it the amount of players was small.

@Sami : is there some kind of 2020 crisis event or demand tweak?

Zombie Slayer

Quote from: JumboShrimp on August 13, 2020, 07:47:39 PM
Can the end date of Modern Times be changed to 2035?

Sami, I understand the desire to keep it at 8 months total time, but ending the game in 2030 severely hurts playability. It becomes all but pointless to use types such as the A220, A350, C919, and to a lesser extent the 787 as the length of time you have to fly them does not justify the extra fleet change. This puts even more pressure on the NG, A320, and A330 lines that are far too strained in a MT game already. The extra month of game time would allow full use of current gen jets and greatly enhance the play of MT scenarios.
Don Collins of Ohio III, by the Grace of God of the SamiMetaverse of HatF and MT and of His other Realms and Game Worlds, King, Head of the Elite Alliance, Defender of the OOB, Protector of the Slots

LemonButt

Everyone seems to want to include 2035, so I would propose a reverse gameworld--everyone starts with 787 etc. and they start disappearing like Michael J Fox in Back to the Future.  You have to replace your modern aircraft with older examples and/or older fleets before the clock ticks down to zero on aircraft age and has to be sent back to the factory for dismantling.  It would be the Benjamin Button game world where everyone starts with 787s and ends with DC3s.  You can't prejoin--only "preleave" and you get paid 1 credit every week you're in the game world and 5 credits if you make it to the end (beginning) where you reverse join the game world.  This idea is either insane, genius, or insanely genius.  I'll leave that for y'all to decide...

Mort

Quote from: LemonButt on August 20, 2020, 04:06:07 PM
Everyone seems to want to include 2035, so I would propose a reverse gameworld--everyone starts with 787 etc. and they start disappearing like Michael J Fox in Back to the Future.  You have to replace your modern aircraft with older examples and/or older fleets before the clock ticks down to zero on aircraft age and has to be sent back to the factory for dismantling.  It would be the Benjamin Button game world where everyone starts with 787s and ends with DC3s.  You can't prejoin--only "preleave" and you get paid 1 credit every week you're in the game world and 5 credits if you make it to the end (beginning) where you reverse join the game world.  This idea is either insane, genius, or insanely genius.  I'll leave that for y'all to decide...

Think you need to lay off the hallucinogens sir  ???

Talentz

Quote from: LemonButt on August 20, 2020, 04:06:07 PM
Everyone seems to want to include 2035...

Sounds like pure enjoyment reading the forums everyday!

Talentz
Co-founder and Managing member of: The Star Alliance Group™ - A beta era, multi-brand alliance.

JumboShrimp

Quote from: Zombie Slayer on August 20, 2020, 03:58:14 PM
Sami, I understand the desire to keep it at 8 months total time, but ending the game in 2030 severely hurts playability. It becomes all but pointless to use types such as the A220, A350, C919, and to a lesser extent the 787 as the length of time you have to fly them does not justify the extra fleet change. This puts even more pressure on the NG, A320, and A330 lines that are far too strained in a MT game already. The extra month of game time would allow full use of current gen jets and greatly enhance the play of MT scenarios.

Additionally, the cargo variants of A320 and 737 NG become obsolete / useless if the Game World ends in 2030 instead of 2036

Sami

Quote from: JumboShrimp on August 20, 2020, 09:11:58 PM
Additionally, the cargo variants of A320 and 737 NG become obsolete / useless if the Game World ends in 2030 instead of 2036

A320F will be available in 2014 and 737-700F in 2013 so I wouldn't really say obsolete.. (made some adjustments for those)

Mort

Quote from: Sami on August 21, 2020, 09:07:11 AM
A320F will be available in 2014 and 737-700F in 2013 so I wouldn't really say obsolete.. (made some adjustments for those)

Will those changes happen for AoF too given they're quite far away still?

JumboShrimp

If you are going to start a transition that will finish in 2027, it is just not worth it.

That was a huge letdown in last MT world...

JumboShrimp

And, BTW, A320F launces in 2017.  Also 738F and A321F launch in 2017.

With the UM limits what they are, a big transition can take 10 years.

(Edit - oh I see, the launch dates changed)