Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Schedules of C/D-checks automatically go to spare none flying aircrafts  (Read 272 times)

Offline DennisCaressa

• Members

The 3 people who like this post:
It would be cool to have a feature that when you got spare planes which are not flying getting the flying schedule automatically from the planes that go into C or D check :) so you don't have to manually change their schedule all the time.

grtz,

Dennis

Offline gazzz0x2z

• Members
Re: Schedules of C/D-checks automatically go to spare none flying aircrafts
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 12:31:19 PM »
There are several misconceptions in this proposal.

misconception 1 : it is mandatory to cover the holes. Most players don't. When you reach 1000 or 1500 aircraft of company size, it just does not make sense to loe precious time for doing that.

misconception 2 : it would be actually a good idea on a financial point of view. If you do the maths on a realistic company, spare planes would spend most of their time grounded. Which would be costlier than not flying the route at all.

Offline groundbum2

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 12:48:13 PM »
this is probably the 20th time this has been highlighted... !

S

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 06:05:32 PM »
There are several misconceptions in this proposal.

misconception 1 : it is mandatory to cover the holes. Most players don't. When you reach 1000 or 1500 aircraft of company size, it just does not make sense to loe precious time for doing that.

misconception 2 : it would be actually a good idea on a financial point of view. If you do the maths on a realistic company, spare planes would spend most of their time grounded. Which would be costlier than not flying the route at all.

Disagree on #2

First off, if you have a spare plane, it spends 100% of its time grounded, but let's that aside.

Average LH fleet is grounded about 11% of time due to C/D checks.  Once your fleet reaches 100+, your C/D checks start to be spaced out fairly evenly, and at some point, ideally, 110% of aircraft can fly the schedulle fully with no interruptions.

Financially, it adds these 2 elements:
- no loss of revenue due to schedule not flying
- no cost of personnel for schedule not flying.

Offline groundbum2

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 07:02:32 AM »

- no cost of personnel for schedule not flying.

I think this would even out in AWS. In the real world yes airline ops would send the crew assigned to the aircraft in C/D check to it's replacement flying aircraft. But I suspect AWS would simply double-crew both planes, as at some point both had a schedule on them.. would need to coded in I guess if this feature was implemented..

Simon

Offline sanabas

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 10:03:09 AM »
AWS staffing remains unchanged if you move schedule from one plane to an identical plane. VL planes spend 20 days in C-check, so it would make sense financially to stagger the c-checks, actually have 1 spare for every 18 flying. But it’d only be slightly better than having 18 planes that all have 20 days worth of routes unflown, it’d be hard to automate, and it’d be even harder with new planes arriving, leases ending, etc. Or if planes aren’t quite identical. You’d also lose a little profit by doing some c-checks early in order to have them perfectly staggered.

So overall it’d be a very small benefit that requires a huge amount of work. Once you’re big enough to start thinking of having spare planes, you’re big enough to just ignore the revenue loss from a scheduled plane going to heavy maintenance.

Offline groundbum2

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 10:35:57 AM »
I got a nice boost in DTM as I wanted to get top airline score part of which is based on final quarter profit. So 20 days before the last quarter ended I sent all planes due C checks in the quarter off early. So next to no spending on maintenance and max income. Got it by 2 points, yay!

I'd definitely use this feature if implemented. Personally I'd code by having a "major fleet" and "minor fleet" field the player can fill in for each aircraft. eg 17/22. When a plane is due to for C check see if any other of the same fleet are unused. If so, move schedule over. Minor fleet can be used for 7 day scheduling, ie put all 7 planes on a 7 day schedule into the same minor fleet. Make a change (seats, A/B check, schedule,winglets, price) to one member of a minor fleet and the change is cascaded to the other 6 planes by AWS. We have the nickname field for aircraft, could be appropiated.

Simon

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members

The 3 people who like this post:
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 11:42:34 PM »
I posted a feature request on Aircraft Pools a while ago.

The concept is:
- Schedule is standalone entity, not a plane
- You either assign a single schedule to a single plate
- or a group of schedules to a pool pf aircraft
- system automatically shifts schedule from aircraft going into a check to an aircraft in the pool that is available.

Therefore, you may have 200 schedules and 220  aircraft, and pretty much all the schedules will be flying with no interruption and 20 aircraft will be constantly in B/C/D checks, as an example.
https://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,54631.0.html

Offline Cornishman

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 12:10:16 PM »
I posted a feature request on Aircraft Pools a while ago.

The concept is:
- Schedule is standalone entity, not a plane
- You either assign a single schedule to a single plate
- or a group of schedules to a pool pf aircraft
- system automatically shifts schedule from aircraft going into a check to an aircraft in the pool that is available.

Therefore, you may have 200 schedules and 220  aircraft, and pretty much all the schedules will be flying with no interruption and 20 aircraft will be constantly in B/C/D checks, as an example.
https://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,54631.0.html

Pretty much the best suggestion I've seen on this subject. 100% support

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.