Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: UM oddity  (Read 292 times)

Offline groundbum2

• Members

The person who likes this post:
Re: UM oddity
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2020, 10:49:03 PM »
I like commonality as it is, if we could have a vanity fleet. It makes us concentrate on a strategy.

Simon

Offline sanabas

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2020, 04:45:50 AM »
I like commonality as it is, if we could have a vanity fleet. It makes us concentrate on a strategy.

Simon

It's a crude way to do it, but it's more or less fine outside of doing fleet transitions. And when implemented, GWs ran for ~25 years, not ~75. Introduction of cargo exacerbates things, because an unintended consequence of how commonality works is to make fleet groups which include freighters far, far more attractive. But I'd like something better than just more or less fine, and something that works equally well in longer worlds.

There are better ways to encourage airlines to concentrate on a strategy, ways that wouldn't encourage fleet transitions to be done by stockpiling parked planes and then changing en masse, ways that would encourage a lot of the fleets outside the big few in each era to see more use. Same goes for the UM, new orders, acquiring planes in general. From a game theory/design perspective it could encourage more diversity, and make a big airline feel less like a chore at times.

Offline schro

• Members

The 3 people who like this post:
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2020, 11:06:45 PM »
I am probably the only elder here to think that nope, the commonality systemy is not broken. But I insist : it does its job, and forces you to choose a strategy. UM limit is another beast. It's mandatory to have some kind of anti-spam(in the sense : spamming new planes early in the game) system. But it outlives its usefulness, and then becomes a useless chore in the late parts of the game.

I agree here. This is why I submitted this feature request a few years ago. https://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,77691.msg457248.html#msg457248

The problem isn't commonality forcing a strategy decision, it's rate of acquisition.

Offline groundbum2

• Members
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2020, 03:13:05 PM »
TMTs a week or so away. Perhaps Sami could put it in the game rules that UM buy limits slowly increase as the game progresses?

Simon

Offline sanabas

• Members

The 2 people who like this post:
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2020, 03:34:25 PM »
UM limits from brokers shouldn't change. Far higher limits from brokers would cause new issues, even later in game. It's acquiring all the planes other players have ordered for you that is the frustration.

Also frustrating is using a less popular fleet, being literally the only player in the game to fly them, and having the brokers with 20 of them that they simply refuse to release. If you're flying a fleet, you should be able to place order with broker for that fleet, and guarantee they'll put a minimum of 1 per refresh on the UM.

Offline Talentz

• Members
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2020, 11:08:41 AM »
Changing the acquisition rate later in games helps longevity in-game overall.  Which is one of AWS biggest problems this could help lessen.

Would it be possible to include Schro's FR https://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,77691.msg457248.html#msg457248 or a version of it into the next GW only. Thus we can see how it plays out and make adjustments as necessary, Sami?

Talentz
Co-founder and Managing member of: The Star Alliance Group™ - A beta era, multi-brand alliance.

Offline groundbum2

• Members
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2020, 04:26:50 PM »
hopefully the current UM limit of 3 planes every 7 days is embedded in a lookup table and not hard coded. So an admin could update the 3 to 4 to 5 to 6 every Jan 1st. So 5 minutes effort every few real world weeks. No code changes. Quick and easy win!

Simon

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.