How can I know whether an aircraft I want to lease will be able to fly a route?

Started by Alberto, July 23, 2020, 09:33:45 PM

Alberto

I understand the range system has been reworked at some point, but I am struggling to figure out how to know whether an aircraft I want to lease will be able to fly a route I want to open (with its default seat config).

If I look at the aircraft's range in the aircraft page, it says that the range is indicative (still-air) and the actual range depends on the particular route because of headwinds, etc. - Makes sense.
If I go to the route open page and select the relevant fleet type, it says that the route might be seat-blocked, but it depends on the particular aircraft because of mtow, etc. - Makes sense.

But, then, how can I know if any given aircraft will have blocked seats on a given route?

Typical situation: I find a route that I want to open and its length is, say, 2000nm.
I go to the used market and I want to procure an aircraft which is able to fly that route at default seat configuration... how do I do that?
It can happen that I lease an aircraft with nominal range 2050nm or 2100nm (at default seat config) and, when I schedule it, it turns out I have to block 20% or 10% of the seats.
Surely an airline knows before it leases an aircraft whether it will be able to fly its routes, right? How do I do that?

Thanks!

sanabas

Before you lease the plane, go to the open route page, and assign the fleet group. You'll see the flight time in each direction, and a little ? you can hover over next to it. That ? will show the direct distance, the actual distance to be flown, the wind, and the ESAD (equivalent still air distance). That ESAD is the actual range you need.

Look at the range map of the plane you want. You can open that from the plane's screen before you lease it.

Say that it's a plane with 150 seats by default, 2050 range by default.

Say the route is 2000NM, but the ESAD is 2300NM one way, 1950 the other.

On the range map, it says the plane can carry 156 pax for 1950NM, 130 pax for 2300NM. That means that in one direction, you'll be able to carry a full load of pax + ~600kg of additional belly cargo. In the other direction, you'll be limited to 130 pax.

Alberto

Thanks sanabas, what you say works! Strange that such a vital information is hidden so well.