Drop in Demand after midnight

Started by ngaira, April 27, 2009, 09:32:01 PM

ngaira

Some airports are open 24hrs. Yet you find 0 load factors from them at that time. Why is this? 24hr operation means people still board aircrafts and travel.....or dont they?

Kontio

24h operation means that planes are allowed to take off and land around the clock. Passenger demand at various hours is a different issue. Generally midnight to 5am is not the best time to schedule flights. However, red-eye flights can be a good way to maximize aircraft utilization. Please search the forum for an abundance of strategy hints.

ngaira

DSimm626

Usually 24 hour airports bring in/out cargo at night.
At least when I worked at ATL thats all that came in and left except for very late(wx/mech) passenger planes.

toyotaboy95

nobody...i mean nobody...except long-haul red-eyes, likes late night/early morning flights.

I remember my flight from HKG to the Philippines just a few months ago...nightmare, similar to jetlag.
00:15 - Depart
3:30 - Arrive

coming back
8:30-11:30

HKG was nearly deserted. buses, (except overnight ones) and airport express (train) all departed.

Filippo

I often travel to Doha with Qatar Airways and they all depart at 1:00 in the morning. I find it fabulous as you get to the airport at 22:30, so you have a complete day to work and then you arrive in the morning to your destination. i find flights from midnight to two in the morning confortable only though if they are longhaul. Shorthaul is another story...

samomuransky

Quote from: Filippo on April 28, 2009, 04:06:17 PM
so you have a complete day to work and then you arrive in the morning to your destination

Better use EuroNight train (or simillar) in cases like this..