Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Sami—You’re Killing Us  (Read 506 times)

Offline Tuckernut

• Members
Sami—You’re Killing Us
« on: February 02, 2020, 09:07:48 PM »
First it was a 6 week volcanic incident, now a two month stock crash.  Should I be anticipating tidal waves or hoards of locusts?

I was almost, sort of, MAYBE thinking of opening another base but now glad that I waited.  Airports are getting saturated and as has been discussed, slot costs are very high.  It’s getting harder to justify the base opening charges vs anticipated revenue.

It has been interesting to see some experienced players opting for some unusual, non-Boeing or Airbus aircraft and doing well.  Adding that to my “gotta try this” list.

I still look forward to a new challenge at some point using Soviet, Chinese or other aircraft exclusively, rather than the tried and true.

Cheers!

Tuckernut

Online Tha_Ape

• Members
Re: Sami—You’re Killing Us
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 09:52:30 PM »
Locusts! :)

And a curling world cup in Malta ;)

Offline knobbygb

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 07:19:50 AM »
First it was a 6 week volcanic incident, now a two month stock crash.  Should I be anticipating tidal waves or hoards of locusts?

You forgot the bird flu outbreak!

Airports are busy but far from saturated unless you're flying only big 180 seaters.  With my all medium fleet I reckon I could open 3 or 4 more bases tomorrow, with 30 a/c in each, if they were available. The limiting factor is just cash, with aircraft availability second and demand third.  I don't think there'll ever be a game that's perfectly balanced - and that's not a complaint.

Yeah slot prices were, and still are very high, although they're improving.  This hasn't really made the game harder, it's just slowed it down a lot. Playing short-haul I'd have expect to be at 80 to 100 aircraft after the first year and I think I had 12.  I now have 72 2.5 years into a 15 year game .

On the plus side, fuel has halved in price since the start of the game and demand is actually growing quite quickly.

It has been interesting to see some experienced players opting for some unusual, non-Boeing or Airbus aircraft and doing well.

Yeah, the Tu204 people are quite brave imho. I think it'll be too big, but we'll see...   I opted for the Il-114 because I can do both pax and cargo with it (it's the only medium freighter available new off thr production line). The ATR would have been better but the game is too short - there are too few available for conversion.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 07:24:10 AM by knobbygb »

Offline deovrat

• Members

The 5 people who like this post:
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 12:47:13 PM »
Might be off topic, but adding an event for Corona Virus in 2020 that suspends all flights to/from China for 2 months, and then only slowly growing demand over a year will be interesting. I'd like another event of the (old) 9/11 magnitude.

Online Tha_Ape

• Members

The 4 people who like this post:
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 02:23:22 PM »
Corona virus? ::)

Offline gazzz0x2z

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 02:32:12 PM »
Corona virus? ::)

Jacques Chirac's Favorite

Online Tha_Ape

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 09:07:55 PM »
Jacques Chirac's Favorite

@the rest of the world (in case you care/wonder): former president Chirac was, ahem, a good nature. And a beer lover. Loved Corona. Don't know if it's something he once said, or if it's from the "Guignols de l'info", a muppet show, but Chirac and Corona go together (at least in France).

Offline loziobiz

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 09:13:54 PM »
I'm flying Tu-204s and e-jets. I also have some old 737s which I'm dismissing or converting to freighters.

Offline MikeS

• Members

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 11:22:26 PM »
@the rest of the world (in case you care/wonder): former president Chirac was, ahem, a good nature. And a beer lover. Loved Corona. Don't know if it's something he once said, or if it's from the "Guignols de l'info", a muppet show, but Chirac and Corona go together (at least in France).

amazing how Corona got so famous. It's really not that popular in Mexico! The fully translucent bottle is also bad for storing beer. Taste wise I'd say it's very average for a mass produced industrial beer......but then again in the US Bud Light is extremely popular and that's beyond me too.....ok we're flying off topic now...better stick to craft beer  :P 8)

Cheers!!!!
Mike

Offline sanabas

• Members

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 01:53:00 AM »
amazing how Corona got so famous. It's really not that popular in Mexico! The fully translucent bottle is also bad for storing beer. Taste wise I'd say it's very average for a mass produced industrial beer......but then again in the US Bud Light is extremely popular and that's beyond me too.....ok we're flying off topic now...better stick to craft beer  :P 8)

Cheers!!!!
Mike

Fosters is very hard to find in Australia, for good reason.

Offline [SC] - King Kong

• Members

The 2 people who like this post:
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2020, 08:39:40 AM »
Fosters is very hard to find in Australia, for good reason.

If its cold its doable. People consider our local beer (Heineken) a premium...

Offline Andre090904

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2020, 09:10:05 PM »
If its cold its doable. People consider our local beer (Heineken) a premium...

One of the worst (well known) beers around. Living in Mexico as a German isnt easy either beer-wise (corn-based beer, really?). But I am buying Czech/Polish beer for $2 per bottle (my personal luxury).  :-[

Offline MikeS

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2020, 12:26:20 AM »
One of the worst (well known) beers around. Living in Mexico as a German isnt easy either beer-wise (corn-based beer, really?). But I am buying Czech/Polish beer for $2 per bottle (my personal luxury).  :-[
The Bohemia is quite OK, regular and dark versions but there are lot's of craft beers now to choose from. I agree that most beers are too light ~4% and don't have much taste. Where abouts in Mexico?

Offline Andre090904

• Members

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2020, 05:15:03 AM »
The Bohemia is quite OK, regular and dark versions but there are lot's of craft beers now to choose from. I agree that most beers are too light ~4% and don't have much taste. Where abouts in Mexico?

Zapopan. Never tried local craft beers. Bohemia is fair enough, even Modelo Especial. But nothing over Czech beer really (not even in Germany if you ask me).

Offline Tuckernut

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2020, 06:26:26 PM »
As a happy retiree from a major international airline, I have found that whatever beer the locals drink is usually very good.  I found that to be true in China, India, Vietnam, Mexico, Germany, Ireland and many other places.  It took me a while to get used to room temp beer in the UK but it works.  We are taking a cruise later this year with a stop in St. Petersburg and am looking forward to my first Russian beer (vodka is a given!).

Offline MikeS

• Members
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2020, 07:53:47 PM »
Internet on cruise ships is terrible and expensive.... a good excuse for some well deserved AWS vacation  ;D

Offline Jake S

• Members
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2020, 10:53:18 AM »
Internet on cruise ships is terrible and expensive.... a good excuse for some well deserved AWS vacation  ;D
Last time i was on Anthem of the Seas i had better internet than i got at most of the hotels i stayed at in the US... Just saying  8)

"People who invest in aviation are the biggest suckers in the world."

Offline Randallator

• Members
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2020, 04:28:34 PM »
As a happy retiree from a major international airline, I have found that whatever beer the locals drink is usually very good.  I found that to be true in China, India, Vietnam, Mexico, Germany, Ireland and many other places.  It took me a while to get used to room temp beer in the UK but it works.  We are taking a cruise later this year with a stop in St. Petersburg and am looking forward to my first Russian beer (vodka is a given!).
Room temp beer? That ain't normal for the UK

Offline MikeS

• Members

The 2 people who like this post:
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2020, 01:55:51 AM »
Room temp beer? That ain't normal for the UK
room temperature in the UK in winter can be terribly cold  :P ... old buildings with bad insulation and ineffective heating...

Cheers!

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.