Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Cargo update  (Read 1195 times)

Offline stealy

• Members
Re: Cargo update
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2020, 09:12:13 AM »
Another wrinkle is Hong Kong was returned to China in 1999 and that is the current game year--would this have something to do with it?

Hong Kong was returned to China in 1997.
1999 was when Macau was returned to China.

Donít get them mixed up!  :P

Offline ChuckPerry

• Members
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2020, 06:04:48 PM »
Hey Guys- I have a cargo 2.0 question.. Iíve got several cargo routes from secondary airports that I kept flying after the implementation of cargo 2.0 mainly because they showed a lot of potential cargo demand. As expected my current demand rapidly went to near zero and it has basically stayed there for the past 2 years even though I continued to fly the routes.. Does this non-growth even with potential demand mean that current actual demand will never grow? If this is the case, how do you determine which routes with a high potential demand will actually produce current demand once you start flying them and which ones never will?  Thanks 

Offline Andre090904

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2020, 06:15:12 PM »
You are missing the point a bit I think. All this potential demand is valid for the whole region, not only for your airport. So you are basically sharing all this potential demand with New York JFK, Newark, La Guardia and some more airports in the area. Given the incredible competition in the NY area (and your very own base in La Guardia), there will be very limited actual demand at every of those airports even though the airport is being served.

I see you are flying the same route a LOT from La Guardia. So you are basically competing with yourself now (La Guardia vs. Long Island). As you can see, due to much higher supply in La Guardia, there is more actual demand.

PS: Osaka, too, has a lot of airports in the region. So the potential demand is not only shared between the NY airports, but also between the Osaka/Japanese airports. There are dozens of possible route combinations...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 06:18:15 PM by Andre090904 »

Offline ChuckPerry

• Members
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2020, 06:51:51 PM »
You are missing the point a bit I think. All this potential demand is valid for the whole region, not only for your airport.

No, Sami said in a Jan 28th post in this thread,"If we simplify a bit, the size of the airport doesn't matter since the demand is from city to city or area to area, and airports are merely the gateways serving this demand. But to make everything simpler the system shows only the airport-to-airport demand figures to players (otherwise would be way too complicated)."   So according to him, it's showing me airport-to-airport demand figures...

Offline sanabas

• Members

« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2020, 07:10:33 PM »
Yes. The actual demand is what's there from KISP to RJOO.

The potential demand shown is what RISP to RJOO could conceivably reach, if there was zero competition from nearby airports at either end. EWR to RJOO, LGA to RJOO, they probably also have potential demand of ~300k. Doesn't mean that all those routes can be 300k at the same time, it means that any of them could be 300k if they are the only one with any supply.

But since there is competition, the actual demand won't reach the full potential demand. If you look at some of the nearby airport pairs, and there is heaps of supply on them, then the actual demand of this route might not grow much if you start flying it. If you look at the nearby pairs and none of them have any supply, then you can expect this one to grow a lot.

Offline ChuckPerry

• Members
« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2020, 07:29:00 PM »
Okay I understand that part.. but if airport size doesn't matter, in  an area with multiple airports, then what determines which airports get actual demand and which one's don't?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 08:30:12 PM by ChuckPerry »

Offline Jake S

• Members
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2020, 09:29:17 PM »
Probably supply and frequency ;)

"People who invest in aviation are the biggest suckers in the world."

Offline sanabas

• Members
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2020, 09:36:50 PM »
Okay I understand that part.. but if airport size doesn't matter, in  an area with multiple airports, then what determines which airports get actual demand and which one's don't?

Airport size doesn't matter for the potential demand. It might matter a little when there's competition between two airports, plus things like distance from each square. Also how much supply there actually is.

Online groundbum2

• Members

« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2020, 10:59:22 PM »
surely a bigger airport (higher infra) has a greater radius so grabs more industry squares than a smaller airport with a smaller radius? If not, then how does infra have any impact to CBD other than slots?

Simon

Offline sanabas

• Members
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2020, 08:51:46 AM »
True. I meant that for a given square, it doesn't matter if it's a size 1 or size 10 airport picking it up, the potential from that square to the destination will be the same.

The increasing catchment radius as airport grows leading to more squares being picked up certainly makes a difference to overall potential.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.