Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Anyone feel its become almost impossible to make money ?  (Read 595 times)

Offline Jack Silka

• Members
Anyone feel its become almost impossible to make money ?
« on: January 20, 2020, 02:04:04 PM »
I was doing 100 Mil in revenue with a mix of pax and cargo, and when the cargo "fix" came about, I immediately fell into massive losses.  I have since gone from 2 Bil in assets to 1.3 Bil and I have closed 2 bases, killed my entire cargo fleet and hubs and now down to 1 Base (HQ).

I have all profitable routes, no loss earning airplanes and I'm still running a weekly loss of about $2 Million.  I have 92% Y LF, 89% C LF, 78.5% F LF, and I've got an entire international route with 748-8's running full to the brim at like 40% plus pricing making millions per week and yet, my airline runs a loss.

My personal are at around 100 - 105%.

The game just feels with the fuel price alongside and "fixes", the game mechanics are just broken and we are watching airlines just dying daily even though they were running really well before. 

Ultimately, I've gone from something like 50/60 mil pre-tax profit, to -2/-3 Mil pre-tax profit.

Am i wrong in my thinking here, or is this common in the game ?

Offline gazzz0x2z

• Members

The 6 people who like this post:
Re: Anyone feel its become almost impossible to make money ?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 02:58:12 PM »
11 airplanes, including 2 different fleet groups. Worse, you had 4 fleet groups.

(1)Commonality gave you headaches. Should be better now, but still, 7 + 4 is not healthy. I advise never to go to a second fleet group before reaching 20 frames in the first fleet group.

You have 11 airplanes in Las Vegas. And you had 2 other bases? Bases are costly investments, costly to run, and therefore deserve so be massively served. My smallest base in ATH, and flies 63 birds. That's not far from being the minimum to be comfortable in income in a base.

(2)Too many expenses linked to having too many bases gave you headaches

your punctuality is 72% - in summer, and your company image is barely 20. The first value probably partly explains the second one. You need a better scheduling, with turnaround times that would respect better the official turnaround times, both at your base, and at the destination. I tend to be agressive in my schedulings, to maximize plane use, and I'm at 90% punctuality in summer(which means I'm barely at 80% in winter, the absolute minimum).

Your fleet utilization is at 13.5 hours. it's not enough considering your company profiles. 747 should fly 18 to 20 hours daily. 737s not that much, but still, they should be around 15 hours. With far more single aisle aircraft, far less(in proportion) LH aircraft, and shorter distances for my single-aisle flights, I'm at overall 15.8 hours. With your fleet profile, you should be around 16.5 hours. At least. All those 0600 take offs should be at 0500 or 0530, to leave more turnaround times. 20 company image is not enough for LH flights - you need to increase your prices to make money on those. And you can't at 20 CI

you are also taking off at 0010. Argh. this makes sure you can't milk your customers with heavy prices. Move it to 2355, and you"ll be able to punish your customers far more.

(3)your scheduling is not using your aicraft enough, and this is still an headache. My rule of a thumb is one point of margin per additional flown hour. Have you read my tutorial? (should be in my signature)

You are leasing 7 years old 748s. Lease costs are killing you slowly. Though what is gonna finish you off is their upcoming D-checks. 9M$ each, 7 to come within one year. You're dead. Bad fleet choice(747s are suicide in most situations, bar some very big airports, which Las Vegas is not), leased recent aircraft(buy new, lease old, is not a rule for random reasons), made a painfully poor scheduling, and probably never had the policy to have a company image able to support high ticket prices that would in return support your heavy LH expenses.

I see you have a few very juicy routes(especially Naha). Proper scheduling on this kind of route should net you far more money than you are currently doing. Beginnig by not taking off at 0000. try also to have always one hour of difference between both flights,    SSA197 is only 30 minutes before SSA193, that's not good either. your 734 routes are interesting too, but long, and you never make a lot of money on long, thin routes. 75 pax on a 200NM route will make more profit than 110 pax on a transcon. And you don't use those babes enough.

Said another way, you probably had something else than the cargo fix to kill you. Your company had hidden weaknesses, and one has exploded. Maybe d checks on used planes?

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 02:59:03 PM »
The fuel is very expensive at $1000/tn at the moment in MT game (which is not uncommon for the modern era).

Your operational result is actually around zero. The "losses" come from depriciation.

Offline Jack Silka

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 03:44:00 PM »
Wow gazzz0x2z

That is seriously comprehensive.  I honestly do appreciate the detailed response and time and effort you have put into that.  I expected much less from this post.

You have given me a ton of things to look into and consider. 

Honestly, my CI is so low only because I have closed so many routes/bases etc.  I was flying at 60% CI continuously till i started cost cutting.  I have been raising prices, but I didn't know the 00:00> flights were that severe in terms of being able to push price.  Good note there.

Yeah the 747's were an ambitious idea, although the Naha route is amazing yes.  I'll try to clean that up.

In terms of flight hours, I am struggling with any available demand to satisfy timings across with fleet type given the distance and speeds.  Of course always improvements to be made.

In terms of base size, yeah that was a big mistake.  Unfortunately, I expanded way too quickly into new bases and i was doing so well i started killing my PAX routes and diverting all efforts to cargo so when it went badly, I was in a very poor position unfortunately.  Eggs all in one basket and that stuff :)

the D checks are certainly a killer.  To be honest right now, I have around 7 planes for sale, so i was hoping those would go quickly and I could re-engineer the airline with the money.  Unfortunately, they are mostly cargo planes and as a result, don't sell easily. 

I'll take a look at your tut, and try to follow some of your guidelines above.

Thank you again for all the info.

Offline LemonButt

• Members

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 12:07:30 AM »
The only point gaz didn't hit is that your load factors are too high.  If you are averaging 92% that means you must have tons of routes with 100% load factors in which you can raise prices.  Likewise with cargo--you can probably increase prices 10% with very little drop in load factors making you profitable.

Offline PrattWhitney

• Members

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 05:02:50 AM »
Wow gazzz0x2z

That is seriously comprehensive.  I honestly do appreciate the detailed response and time and effort you have put into that.  I expected much less from this post
I agree totally... ’gazzz’ is like AwySim’s own Gandalf!
I read everything he has published and have learned more from this than the manual. Thank’s gazzz for sharing your passion and knowledge!
 :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 05:05:03 AM by PrattWhitney »

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.