Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Multiple airports?  (Read 2319 times)

Offline DonViany

• Members
Multiple airports?
« on: December 30, 2019, 01:30:59 PM »
is it only in the beginning that you can't create hubs outside your home country or is this for the whole game?

Kind regards

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members
Re: Multiple airports?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 01:45:20 PM »
In Europe, after Open Skies kicks in in 97 you can base anywhere in the EU (except other countries' overseas territories), and EU gets larger over time.

Elsewhere in the world, you can base in your countries' overseas territories (Puerto Rico, Saipan, etc. for the US)

That's currently the only possibilities. However there's an ongoing discussion about the playability / interest of Africa, and the possibility of creating a Common Skies there (excluding larger countries like S-A, Egypt, Algeria and Morocco), and more generally for every continent's minors.

Offline DonViany

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 02:18:35 PM »
ok thanks.

It's because I'm based in Dublin en thought that I could easily open other hubs;
But ok, to wait until 97 then.

Kind regards

Offline sanabas

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 02:21:32 PM »
I want the grandfathering rules to return. I had one that had HQ in Moscow, and bases in Baku, Tashkent & Kiev. Try it now, and all the bases get shut down once the USSR dissolves. Same for France HQ and Algerian base.

Could certainly make Africa more interesting, have bases stretching from Casablanca to Kenya. Or have a Caribbean airline based in all the countries eligible to play cricket for the West Indies.

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 02:51:06 PM »
LHR-HKG-SIN-JNB-DXB? Yeah, could be pretty interesting ::)

Online Mort

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 03:57:15 PM »
LHR-HKG-SIN-JNB-DXB? Yeah, could be pretty interesting ::)

:salivating:

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 04:00:22 PM »
:salivating:

Wanna add SYD and YYZ for good measure? ;D
And BOM to stick in a few "regional" planes?

Online Mort

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 04:04:58 PM »
Wanna add SYD and YYZ for good measure? ;D
And BOM to stick in a few "regional" planes?

I guess next 80s Challenge or LH Challenge it could be worth a shot  8)

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 04:19:21 PM »
I guess next 80s Challenge or LH Challenge it could be worth a shot  8)

On the other hand, while not as large, France managed to keep its good overseas airports (Martinique, Guadeloupe, Réunion and Tahiti), thus you can play them in any GW.

Offline lpopa93

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2019, 10:18:27 PM »
In Europe, after Open Skies kicks in in 97 you can base anywhere in the EU (except other countries' overseas territories), and EU gets larger over time.

Elsewhere in the world, you can base in your countries' overseas territories (Puerto Rico, Saipan, etc. for the US)

That's currently the only possibilities. However there's an ongoing discussion about the playability / interest of Africa, and the possibility of creating a Common Skies there (excluding larger countries like S-A, Egypt, Algeria and Morocco), and more generally for every continent's minors.

I am based in UK. Why can't I open a base in the British Overseas Territories then? It even says that Hong Kong is governed by the UK.

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2019, 03:45:44 AM »
Probably because HKG is a very large airport (compared to Algiers for France, for example), and an airline HQed in the UK with a base in HKG would be in terrible trouble in 97. Might wanna check with Oman and around that.
For France, it's possible, for Portugal, it's possible, for the Netherlands, it's possible. Don't see any reason why every previously british colony would be closed (except HKG, and I think this is a good reason).

Offline lpopa93

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2019, 08:46:36 AM »
HK was just an example. I am playing another game world, and I want to stay regional. This time I want to operate in smaller airports. That's why I got interested in British colonies. However, when I try to open a base, only UK airports are available. I cannot select another continent or another country.

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2019, 11:47:12 AM »
Hmmm... Strange. No Jamaica, no Africa (not S-A), etc. ?

Anyone noticed this before?

Offline Verto

• Members
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2019, 01:24:33 PM »
Hmmm... Strange. No Jamaica, no Africa (not S-A), etc. ?

Anyone noticed this before?

It is UK airports only for me as well.

Offline lpopa93

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2019, 05:20:26 PM »
Should we open a bug report?

Offline spiff23

• Members
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2019, 10:54:04 PM »
UK has always been opted out of the colony game in the early days...has always been this way for many actual years.   Probably make sense given UK airlines never had the same full-on colony-to-colony cover like Air France in RW

Offline groundbum2

• Members
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2020, 11:08:16 AM »
demand is also "wrong".

When I played EGLL I expected to see high demand in the 1950s to then colonial outposts as HK, Singapore, Kenya, Rhodesia etc but really they were no more busy than other routes. Apart from high commercial traffic there was a lot of military and diplomatic traffic that went via commercial airlines..

Simon

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2020, 12:04:44 PM »
demand is also "wrong".

When I played EGLL I expected to see high demand in the 1950s to then colonial outposts as HK, Singapore, Kenya, Rhodesia etc but really they were no more busy than other routes. Apart from high commercial traffic there was a lot of military and diplomatic traffic that went via commercial airlines..

Simon

Wanna talk about the anemic demand from CDG/ORY to former french Africa? ;)

Offline spiff23

• Members
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2020, 06:35:24 AM »
Wanna talk about the anemic demand from CDG/ORY to former french Africa? ;)

I've never actually understood this...France...or other colonies  (like Lisbon-Luanda/Maputo)...or the aforementioned UK traffic to their colonies.  Africa always seems to get short changed.  Also interesting that place like French Guiana or Dutch Guiana/Suriname have no demand to the motherland.   probably would blow up the model...but seems like some of these routes should get some one off economic love...just to make things more interesting

Online gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2020, 07:08:17 AM »
indeed. Réunion, Guadeloupe and Martinique are interesting places, Tahiti too(but too far, which is realistic). Guyane should be not far behind those.

TBH, the situation for France is not that bad. When I played in Algeria, probably more than half of my flights were to France/Belgium. Could be better for some places more to the south(demand do N'Djamena espeically is crappy), but I can't say France is the most mistreated place in the game, when it comes to relations with former colonies.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.