Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Over come maintenance cost at airline start up  (Read 747 times)

Offline greenblood44

• Members
Over come maintenance cost at airline start up
« on: December 29, 2019, 09:15:32 AM »
How can you survive the cost of a c maintenance schedule when you first open an airline. One airplane of which i only have 5 had to have this done and it has basically sent me into an hard line path to declare bankruptcy.... What can you do to avoid going into this down spiral????

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members

The person who likes this post:
Re: Over come maintenance cost at airline start up
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 09:27:50 AM »
When you lease your first aircraft, checking that C-check is the furthest away is paramount.

After that, you have 2 choices:
 - you cancel the lease just before the check (and thus lease for a short time, 11 months or so), but in this case you need to be sure you'll have replacements from the UM or manufacturer, which can be hard at the start of a GW
 - you bite the bullet, stop/reduce your expansion for a while and wait for the C-check season to be over.

I always go for option 2, even when I start mid-game and there's plenty of options on the UM, just because I don't want to bother about that, I have more important aspects to monitor. But if you really really like micro-management, then go ahead.

However, for D-checks, nah, I cancel them leases.

But know that even for experienced players, the 1st two C-check seasons are usually pretty hard (or at the very least the 1st one).

Offline sanabas

• Members

The 3 people who like this post:
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 10:20:18 AM »
You need more planes at the start.

You need to fly your planes a lot more, and pick your destinations better.

you only have 5 planes, you're only flying 9 daily routes, all shortish, and all of them massively oversupplied, especially CLT. Looks to me like you'd be lucky to have 50 tickets sold on any route, apart from Denver.

You're using the minimum turnaround time, with ~25% delay chance, even though you've got plenty of free time. If you don't want to fly overnight, then use 1% turns (90 min?) at both ends. End result of the short turns is your punctuality is only 80%, and my guess is you've been slowly bleeding money since day 1, and now C-checks will finish you quickly. But that with no C-checks at all, you'd still have eventually gone broke slowly.

you could be flying redeyes. Phoenix, San Diego, Portland, Oakland, San Jose, Sacramento, Santa Ana, San Juan, none are oversupplied, some are empty, San Juan has ~100 daily pax and nobody flying it. There are also bigger routes, but they're more oversupplied, e.g. LAX. Add in shorter routes for the rest of the day, with 1 day off those for maintenance, and you've suddenly got much more revenue coming in, and should be making money from the start. Which then means you can get more planes, fly more routes, get more money, and off you go. Then when C-checks roll around, you've got the revenue to cover them.

You could add a 2nd fleet, DTW has lots of 40-50 seat routes as well. Get 8 x 377s/Connies for the redeyes, and then 6 40 seaters like Convairs or Martins, then vuild from there.

I suspect you spent a lot on marketing from the start, too, which also may not have helped.

You can also pick an emptier airport to start from, though I think there'd be no issue starting over in DTW and being successful. Just need better scheduling & better route selection, which are generally the two biggest things that kill small airlines.

Offline greenblood44

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 10:49:40 AM »
should i declare bankrupt and try this game again?

Offline greenblood44

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 10:55:52 AM »
i have two more AC going into C maint in less than 2 months - I see no way at all to come back...

Offline greenblood44

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 10:59:54 AM »
For turn around time --- even thought i have ample time between the landing and departure, it still will read the time from the schedule?

Offline sanabas

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 11:09:00 AM »
should i declare bankrupt and try this game again?

Yes.

For turn around time --- even thought i have ample time between the landing and departure, it still will read the time from the schedule?

You were using 60 min at the destination when creating the route. I think you were using longer in between routes at your HQ though. Normally if people forget & do a short turn, it's at HQ where it's less obvious. Go into airline-settings, and set the default turn to 1%, or maybe 5 min shorter, so 95 or 100? if you use 377s, 80 or 85 if you fly DC6/Connies.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.