Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] No more inactivity warning emails?  (Read 398 times)

Offline sanabas

• Members
[-] No more inactivity warning emails?
« on: December 15, 2019, 01:59:09 AM »
I haven't played for some time, obviously. I'd get an inactivity warning email in my inbox, I'd come and login to keep my account active. Still been getting & reading newsletters. Decided today to come back and join a game, check out what's changed and what it's like now there's cargo, etc. Except my account has been purged, which means I've lost ~100 credits. Searched my email, and I'd guess it was purged in late 2018, but I don't seem to have received the warning email this time.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 06:54:51 PM by Sami »

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: No more inactivity warning emails?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 02:13:53 PM »
According to the site logs the account reminders are going out normally:
Code: [Select]
14.12.19, 12:55:10 Sent e-mail to xxx@gmail.com. Subject: Account reminder from online airline simulation
14.12.19, 12:55:10 Sent e-mail to xxx@gmail.com. Subject: Account reminder from online airline simulation
14.12.19, 12:55:11 Sent e-mail to xxx@hotmail.com. Subject: Account reminder from online airline simulation
14.12.19, 12:55:11 Sent e-mail to xxx@gmail.com. Subject: Account reminder from online airline simulation
14.12.19, 12:55:12 Sent e-mail to xxx@outlook.com. Subject: Account reminder from online airline simulation

The logs go only to July so can't see when your account was hit by inactivity. Newsletter delivery is separate from the account itself.

I will see to the Credits later on, that is somewhat traceable.

Online [SC] - King Kong

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 03:05:03 PM »
Why would bought credits expire anyway?

Might be part of the terms and conditions and you probably agreed on those but more from a consumer perspective I wonder if we can opt to change that to avoid this kind of stuff?

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 03:18:29 PM »
Credits do not expire

But if the account is closed or expires (10 months of no logins at all), then the credits are naturally deleted too since they are tied to the account. (cannot keep all the old data and accounta stored forever)

Online [SC] - King Kong

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 06:40:09 PM »
Credits do not expire

But if the account is closed or expires (10 months of no logins at all), then the credits are naturally deleted too since they are tied to the account. (cannot keep all the old data and accounta stored forever)

Would the user get a refund on his credit card then?

Account expires after 10 months ->> credits gone = credits expired, no matter what you call it.

Regarding data storage, its not that much so let's ditch that argument.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
Re: [-] No more inactivity warning emails?
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 07:05:11 PM »
In this case for example the last Credits purchase was made some 8 years ago, and such old purchases are naturally not refundable by any means. We don't even use the same payment processor anymore so it would be technically impossible to do anything about that automatically, or manually (the refund request must also be always initiated by the user himself). It's up to the user to keep his account "alive" but the system does its best to remind to keep the account alive, and the closure should never be a "surprise" (login even once every 10 months or even just click on the link on the reminder email you receive, and it's ok again). And data retention for inactive/"missing" users is not about the database space used but come more from the new EU privacy rules (and this is also not a matter of "discussion").

(The whole account system and reminders is actually on my to-do list, and will at that time refresh and re-think it a bit)

Anyway; the details are a matter of private communication with the original poster.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 07:12:03 PM by Sami »

Offline sanabas

• Members
Re: [-] No more inactivity warning emails?
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 10:47:35 PM »
It's up to the user to keep his account "alive" but the system does its best to remind to keep the account alive, and the closure should never be a "surprise" (login even once every 10 months or even just click on the link on the reminder email you receive, and it's ok again).

Yeah, that's what I was doing. It's possible I missed a message, possible it got picked up by my spam filter when previous ones didn't. Bit frustrating in that it's harder to find some of my old threads, some of those were good tutorials to point people at, and impossible to see old pms. Thanks for the reply, just seeing what I can find in old emails & stuff...

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.