Cancelling C check on aircraft

Started by geoffreyc, November 18, 2019, 10:26:47 AM

geoffreyc

Hi All,

I have automatic aircraft checks turned on (I'm not confident with the game yet to micro-manage to that leve), but 2 of my most profitable planes ended up going into C checks at the same time (within 2 days).

Looking at the interface, I do have the possibility to cancel a check, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of information as to what that entails, wether there are risks in delaying it, etc.

Would anyone be able to shade some light on this?

Cheers !

knobbygb

If you cancel a check, the aircraft will be returned to you in the state it left - i.e. with the C check expired.  You will not receive any kind of refund - you've already paid for that check. It really isn't worth doing this as you risk being ramp-checked and fined for running an aircraft with an expired check. That's actually unlikely to happen (it can take weeks or months for the FAA to catch up with you) but there's still little advantage - you'll have to pay again to have it checked when the other one is back in operation and you'll still 'lose' the same amount of cash on the un-flown routes - just later rather than now. Ideally I guess you could try in future to stagger checks as it might make your figures look better, but it makes no difference overall.

geoffreyc

Quote from: knobbygb on November 19, 2019, 08:25:38 AM
If you cancel a check, the aircraft will be returned to you in the state it left - i.e. with the C check expired.  You will not receive any kind of refund - you've already paid for that check. It really isn't worth doing this as you risk being ramp-checked and fined for running an aircraft with an expired check. That's actually unlikely to happen (it can take weeks or months for the FAA to catch up with you) but there's still little advantage - you'll have to pay again to have it checked when the other one is back in operation and you'll still 'lose' the same amount of cash on the un-flown routes - just later rather than now. Ideally I guess you could try in future to stagger checks as it might make your figures look better, but it makes no difference overall.

Thank you for your reply, this makes a lot of sense!

I ended up leaving it ( I was less concerned with the cost aspect of it all, but rather worried my RI would take a hit ( as both planes flew to the same routes, meaning there was a big gap of my airline not serving any flights to that destination). The impact appeared to have been very minor so problems in the end !

Thanks again for the reply.

deovrat

RI does not take a hit when the airplane is in heavy maintenance.

geoffreyc

Quote from: deovrat on November 19, 2019, 05:18:51 PM
Oh wow thanks!  I definitely thought it had! I will defo worry a lot less about heavy maintenance !

DanDan

Quote from: deovrat on November 19, 2019, 05:18:51 PM

thats incorrect. if the route is not flown, the RI goes down. what helps is 7 day schedules, since it is highly unlikely for the planes being in checks all at the same time.

the only thing that doesnt happen is slots being removed - thost remain with the airline when it is not used due to the plane being in maintenance.
attention: this is not valid for conversions!

Tha_Ape

Dani is right. However, the drop in RI is pretty slim, so it really depends on what type of ops you're running.
Mediums are virtually immune to RI drops, even during a D-check.
Larges can lose a few points, but you'll barely feel it.
VLs however can lose quite a few points during a D. And if you're flying cargo... I once had a route on classic scheduling that dropped to 73. Due to how RI attracts cargo, it took me 3 months after the check to get back to previous LFs.

So yes, for VLs and especially cargo, loss of RI definitely is an issue. For the rest... Meh...

deovrat

Quote from: dandan on November 19, 2019, 07:47:19 PM
thats incorrect. if the route is not flown, the RI goes down. what helps is 7 day schedules, since it is highly unlikely for the planes being in checks all at the same time.

I'd still hold my judgment on this. I recently force D-checked about 350 planes at once (don't ask me why). Virtually all of them were 7 day scheduled, resulting in many sets of routes being suspended from flying for 60 days. RI did not budge an inch from 100.