balancing staff between airports

Started by dagwood, September 14, 2019, 12:52:11 PM

dagwood

I never really understood how this works so if anyone can explain it I would appreciate it. In the Office/personnel office/pilots medium selection
I have four bases with the following settings:

KSTL:    244/240
KDTW:   182/180
KIAH:    335/260
KMSP:    429/350

I select balance staff between bases and nothing happens.  I am adding planes in Detroit. Does the game automatically balance the staff when I add planes in Detroit or are new pilots hired at Detroit when the plane is added to Detroit?    Any help would be appreciated.   

Sami

It does nothing since in this case you have nothing to "balance". All bases are overstaffed. (balancing moves staff from overstaffed base to another where you have lack of staff)

Mort

The balance staff can only be used if you have auto staff hire off, or else have fire staff, otherwise you'd never have a deficit to balance

knobbygb

If you're adding aircraft to DTW, I would turn OFF auto-staff-hire and then balance staff in those groups and THEN "set staff to 100+ (hire but do not fire)" after each plane is added.  Otherwise, the system will automatically hire more staff than you need. Remember the second step though, or you will be understaffed in other areas.  That's the only way to use the spare staff you have - the system can't balance them for you before the new aircraft arrive.