Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Real World Events: Grounding Aircraft  (Read 835 times)

Offline SAUR E. SAUR

• Members
Real World Events: Grounding Aircraft
« on: July 25, 2019, 03:50:31 PM »
If you would be in favour of adding real life events such as fleet type groundings (Comet, DC10, 737MAX, etc), please add a +1 to this thread.

Offline ArcherII

• Members

The 3 people who like this post:
Re: Real World Events: Grounding Aircraft
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 04:05:39 PM »
I think that implementing these groundings into the system would make all those affected types quite prohibiting.

Offline SAUR E. SAUR

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 06:36:28 PM »
I think that implementing these groundings into the system would make all those affected types quite prohibiting.

But wouldn't it be cool to take out all DC10s for a few months? Would you techstop NBs or short term lease another WB? Or do nothing.

It could but doesn't have to mirror real life. Let's say once every 10 years a fleet type is randomly selected to be taken out of service.

Just thinking aloud.

Online Cardinal

• Members

The 4 people who like this post:
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 06:36:47 PM »
I'd be in favor if they were completely random, and selected by the game at game launch so they can't be just popular types, so nobody sees them coming (except Sami). That way nobody avoids the Comet or MAX because the game has randomly selected the Dassault Mercure and 757-300 to be that game's problem children.

Offline Tauge

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 01:08:07 AM »
I'd be in favor if they were completely random, and selected by the game at game launch so they can't be just popular types, so nobody sees them coming (except Sami). That way nobody avoids the Comet or MAX because the game has randomly selected the Dassault Mercure and 757-300 to be that game's problem children.

I like this idea. Not just for what it is, but also because it adds a bit of unpredictability to the game. It's similar to something I realized the other day. Right now, everyone knows exactly what's coming. We're all prescient, we all know, within a few year period exactly what's coming. We all have planned, more or less, what fleets we will be choosing long their manufactures even considered beginning working on them. My original thought would be to pick certain fleet types, or maybe even just models, and announced they'd not be released, but this is an even better way of doing it. The randomizer can select from the top used fleets and a certain number of truly random fleets can be affected by a grounding. Sometimes, you make the wrong bet...and it can sometimes be fatal.

Online Karl

• Members

The 3 people who like this post:
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 12:42:59 PM »
I understand all of the reasons for having events like fleet groundings in the game, and I could accept some short challenges like this.  However, there is a terrible down side.  In my opinion, playing AirwaySim has enough challenges.  It is hard enough to run a successful airline for more than a few game years.  Even with mentors, it takes new players a long time to understand how to run a successful airline - and even then - airlines with hundreds of aircraft regularly declare bankruptcy. 

Given that there is a big penalty for operating too many fleet and engine types, wise airline operators stick to one or two fleet types.  What if their main fleet type were grounded for an extended period of time?  All their work building an airline would go down the drain due to a random event.  This could be devastating for most players.

This would be too much.  I am not in favor of such events - unless, perhaps, it were limited to a game labeled as "expert challenge" or something where players knew what they were getting into. 

Offline gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 01:26:02 PM »
I agree with Karl : when a player invests several months building a company from the 50s, and sees all his efforts ruined, it's not fun. It may be realistic(Ryan Air is not having fun those days with the MAX problems), but it's just neither fun nor fair. It can just kill your company, even if it's well led and profitable.

Without reason.

Offline DanDan

• Members

The 2 people who like this post:
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 03:31:14 PM »
Given that there is a big penalty for operating too many fleet and engine types, wise airline operators stick to one or two fleet types.  What if their main fleet type were grounded for an extended period of time?  All their work building an airline would go down the drain due to a random event.  This could be devastating for most players.

I absolutely agree. And imagine you would loose slots at airports due to not being able to fly there for ages!
What I could imagine is short, random "events" could be included, like "Grounding of aircraft type/engine type ABC due to XYZ", which lasts maybe a week (maximum!).

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.