Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] Strange data for Soviet Planes  (Read 617 times)

Offline Nick_D

• Members

The 2 people who like this post:
[-] Strange data for Soviet Planes
« on: July 12, 2019, 06:08:05 PM »
Hi, everybody!
 Recently I started a new game for the Soviet airline, and of course I decided to buy a couple of Soviet planes (because fly on Douglas and Boeing in the 70s in the USSR... The game of Thrones is less fantasy than this :) And immediately faced a problem.
An-24:
On the screenshot you can see its characteristics, and here are a few mistakes at once:
1) Range of flight: according to my РЛЭ (FCOM for Soviet Planes) - at a range of 3000km and FL6000 m (19000 ft, a standard FL for the An-24, not 28000 ft, as indicated in the AWS), we need 6500 kg of fuel, which already includes a reserve, takeoff, climb, descend, calm wind, etc., and we still have about 2000 kg to the maximum takeoff weight (about 20 passengers). But, according to the AWS, I won't be able to take any passengers at a range of 1080 nm, which is a clear mistake.
2) Fuel consumption: It is already clear that at 6500 kg for 3000 km and speed of 400 km/h - 1700 kg/h average consumption cannot be. But I decided to check this in the documents, and it follows from them that the average hourly consumption at the optimal FL (6000m or 19000ft) at Maximum speed is 728 kg/h per one engine, or about 1500 kg/h for two.  Now about climb: we can see that the aircraft will climb for 27 minutes up to the height of 6000m with the maximum weight (21000 kg) and will burn about 436 kg for both engines.
Now the descend: and in this case the An-24 has a table that shows that from a height of 6000 meters the descend will take 25 minutes and 225 kg of fuel for both engine.

By means of simple calculations (500 kg for takeoff and climbing altitude, 2 hours of flight with the consumption of 1500 kg/h, descending 225 kg) we get an average consumption of about 1200 kg, which is much lower than the specified, and together with the correct flight range (instead of 350 nm as it is now) this will make the An-24, if not an attractive plane for most players, but at least not so painful for those who want to operate it for some reason.

P.S. I assume that I could have made a mistake in my calculations, it is by no means an attempt to just criticize, I really want to help the AWS become even better, and if necessary - I can provide all the necessary documentation for the Soviet aircrafts, or in some other way help with the correction of their characteristics (because the An-24 is not alone in this)

P.P.S I decided not to attach screenshots from FCOM to the message, because they are still in Russian, but they are there, and if necessary - I can demonstrate how my characteristics calculated.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 02:00:56 PM by Sami »
From Russia with Love

Offline Mort

• Members

Re: Strange data for Soviet Planes
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 06:11:16 PM »
I would hazard that it has probably proven harder to source accurate data for early Soviet planes, which may lead to a lot of any possible inaccuracies

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 06:32:25 AM »
Mort is absolutely right, and Sami acknowledges a some unprecise roundings on quite a few soviet birds due to incomplete or hard to find data.
If you're able to provide accurate ans reliable data, I'm sure this would would be highly welcome.
And maybe, finally, we could have this soviet planes only minigame :)

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 08:19:33 AM »
An-24 is at "low accuracy" performance level per v.2 accuracy scale.

I have a large collection of manuals for Russian aircraft and some of them are already translated for me but of course additional help wouldn't hurt.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.