Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Not profitable. Help  (Read 1102 times)

Offline Royo1234

• Members
Not profitable. Help
« on: June 03, 2019, 09:04:39 PM »
What can I do to make my airline profitable? :(

Online dandan

• Members

The person who likes this post:
Re: Not profitable. Help
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 09:31:21 PM »
What can I do to make my airline profitable? :(

well, i cant see any numbers currently, since your airline is rather young. but a few things i can tell you:

- fleet: you have 1 aircraft! try to get more. of the same type that is! (NAMC) when you have 5 or 10, commonality costs arent so heavy in your books.
ALSO: since the NAMC is currently not easily available on the UM, better to order new ones for lease (yes, you need to wait 3 months) rather than go into another fleet type.
- utilisation: it seems you are using your aircraft only 11h per day. that should be somewhat higher. the planes should be scheduled constantly between about 5 and 23
- time: you probably have a low route image. it takes a bit of time until that picks up... revenue will improve then.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 09:34:23 PM by dandan »

Offline Royo1234

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 09:36:25 PM »
I can't afford to buy more planes and stuff. One thing I am wondering - how to correctly schedule maintenance?

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 09:50:47 PM »
Would recommend to use the EASY START mode to get going since it does all the basic things for you.

Offline Royo1234

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 10:03:40 PM »
I played the trial and was pretty successful for a couple days, so I thought I had the hang of it.

Online groundbum2

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 10:11:40 PM »
lolz. After 10 years I'm still shooting myself in the foot on a regular basis!

Given we can't see your financials etc, could I suggest requesting a mentor via dashboard/mentors. That person can then see your airline in detail and provide guidance...

Simon

Online Andre090904

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 11:01:50 PM »
Hi there,

As a new player in the middle of a gameworld it usally is a good idea to pick planes that are readily available. For example, instead of going after NAMC right away you could rather choose Convairs the next time. They have almost exactly the same range and capacity and should be much much cheaper to lease. That easily saves you half the leasing costs.

Your company image is 13. That is bad. Of course you're still a very young airline, but 13 is very very low. I think new airlines start with a company image of 20 (iirc). So that would mean you probably have no marketing campagin going on? If passengers don't know your airline, they just won't fly with you. Hence your low load factors and not enough income.

You have a departure punctuality of 29%. How did you honestly manage to do that? I have never seen such a low value. My guess is you are using a minimum turnaround time of 25 minutes for all your flights and have no spaces inbetween? Note that a bad punctuality (and cancellations) will lead to a drop of company image. And of course, if your aircraft isn't flying, it doesn't make any money. Also, your aircraft has a 67% condition. That may be a reason for cancellations/delays. When starting an airline, pick an aircraft with a condition of at least 80%.

You have 1 aircraft and 14 weekly flights. That means 2 per day. The NAMC is a regional aircraft. From Gatwick, you should be able to at least get 3-4 flights per day out of it. More flights, more passengers, more money.

Your departure times just won't work. You are flying to Dublin at 1AM and back to Gatwick around 4AM. Just avoid passengers flights bettwen 00:00 and 05:00 if possible. The routes themselves are heavily oversupplied (except Jersey). If demand is somewhere around 250 and the supply is 1000, your plane just won't fill. It won't be profitable. Avoid oversupplied routes at your stage. The route to Jersey is fine, though. Try to find more like those. It's fine to fly to smaller airports and to avoid "prestigous" big airports. What you need is passengers and money. Not half empty planes and unprofitable routes. Not only are your chances of filling your planes higher when flying to smaller airports, but they also save you some money (airport fees are lower).

« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 11:04:41 PM by Andre090904 »

Offline Royo1234

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 11:48:51 PM »
Just to say, my company image is 20.81. I have had a general campaign for a while.

Offline Royo1234

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 11:54:22 PM »
Hi there,

As a new player in the middle of a gameworld it usally is a good idea to pick planes that are readily available. For example, instead of going after NAMC right away you could rather choose Convairs the next time. They have almost exactly the same range and capacity and should be much much cheaper to lease. That easily saves you half the leasing costs.

Your company image is 13. That is bad. Of course you're still a very young airline, but 13 is very very low. I think new airlines start with a company image of 20 (iirc). So that would mean you probably have no marketing campagin going on? If passengers don't know your airline, they just won't fly with you. Hence your low load factors and not enough income.

You have a departure punctuality of 29%. How did you honestly manage to do that? I have never seen such a low value. My guess is you are using a minimum turnaround time of 25 minutes for all your flights and have no spaces inbetween? Note that a bad punctuality (and cancellations) will lead to a drop of company image. And of course, if your aircraft isn't flying, it doesn't make any money. Also, your aircraft has a 67% condition. That may be a reason for cancellations/delays. When starting an airline, pick an aircraft with a condition of at least 80%.

You have 1 aircraft and 14 weekly flights. That means 2 per day. The NAMC is a regional aircraft. From Gatwick, you should be able to at least get 3-4 flights per day out of it. More flights, more passengers, more money.

Your departure times just won't work. You are flying to Dublin at 1AM and back to Gatwick around 4AM. Just avoid passengers flights bettwen 00:00 and 05:00 if possible. The routes themselves are heavily oversupplied (except Jersey). If demand is somewhere around 250 and the supply is 1000, your plane just won't fill. It won't be profitable. Avoid oversupplied routes at your stage. The route to Jersey is fine, though. Try to find more like those. It's fine to fly to smaller airports and to avoid "prestigous" big airports. What you need is passengers and money. Not half empty planes and unprofitable routes. Not only are your chances of filling your planes higher when flying to smaller airports, but they also save you some money (airport fees are lower).

Also, I don't know where you're getting all this info. My punctuality is also 100%, plane condition is 99%.

Online Andre090904

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 12:39:28 AM »
I opened your airline profile and clicked on stats. Those aren't always up-to-date, but give a good overview.

Offline Royo1234

• Members
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 12:54:59 AM »
I opened your airline profile and clicked on stats. Those aren't always up-to-date, but give a good overview.

Maybe these images will help the solve the problem I'm having.

Online Andre090904

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2019, 01:25:32 AM »
It doesn't change all too much. The flight to FRA is doing good enough and Jersey will be fine as well. Dublin doesn't make any sense and I'd just get rid of it. Other than that things should get better over time when route image and company image grow. Still, the Convairs would have been a better choice to begin with. Just give it time. The first few months are never easy.

Online dandan

• Members

The 2 people who like this post:
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2019, 04:17:32 AM »
@Royo1234
you certainly did the one thing right that most airlines dont get: you asked for assistance - well done!

Online groundbum2

• Members

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2019, 06:54:12 AM »
I'd modify the seat configuration to add the minimum number of C (business) class seats possible. You have spare Y seats so easy money other than the one time hit and 3 days out of service..

Simon

Offline knobbygb

• Members

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2019, 07:55:34 AM »
You're actually doing a pretty good job of the scheduling,although I can't see the pax. numbers for the routes you're flying.  There's some good (and not so good) advice above.  If I were you I'd:

1)  Start again.  Choose an aircraft that is more readily available and cheaper and lease at least 3 of them to start with. There's no way you can really make a profit with just one aircraft. Low leasing costs should trump higher maintenance costs when you're starting out and need economy of scale to survive.

2)  Stick to the same pattern of your scheduling - trying to have the aircraft in the air as much as possible. You're doing the right thing trying to fly even overnight but try to choose a longer route for that (to a +1 timezone) - maybe 500 miles or more, so you can take off just before midnight, land very early in the morning and depart back to base after 5am. DO NOT leave your aircraft on the ground between midnight and 5am (at this stage in the game).

3) I'd leave the seat configuration alone to start with. It costs a LOT (relatively) to do these mods and with a low company image you'll pick up virtually no business class pax. anyway.  If you have routes with high C demand, deal with that later - ideally try to find aircraft on the used market that have a few C seats already.

4)  You have to save every penny/cent you can at the start of the game. Don't waste slots. Don't schedule an aircraft until it arrives (or you will be paying staff costs for two extra weeks), taking longer leases (where the aircraft isn't due a heavy check) can save you a few $$$.  Stuff like that.

5) Don't spend more than 10% of your revenue on marketing (one the routes have settled down, that is - it will probably be more for the first few weeks).  If you choose the right routes you should make a profit with a low company image (20 - 30).  There's no point in it being higher at the start. Newspaper, Billboard and Radio at your base city is the MAX you will need for now.

6)  Give it some time but grow steadily. After your first few aircraft, expand more slowly and allow routes to mature a little (they take longer than in the Beginner Worlds) - they won't be profitable for the first few weeks and you must avoid running out of cash at all costs.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 08:04:33 AM by knobbygb »

Offline Royo1234

• Members
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2019, 04:55:35 PM »
also, these slot prices are killing me !

Online Andre090904

• Members

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2019, 05:44:39 PM »
That's the issue with any big airport, but also allows a wide range of tactics to be used.

1) Use lots of small aircraft and go after regional demand? That will cost a lot of money slot-wise, but at the same time you can grab as many important slots as possible (interesting especially in the beginning of a game world). Also, normally more flights mean more money which is essential in the beginning to keep expanding.

2) Use bigger airplanes on shorter routes? The slots remain expensive, but at least you can carry more passengers with the same amount of aircraft. Unless there is heavy competition...

3) Intend to start with longhaul? You will need a rather small amount of slots, but the LH aircraft are more expensive, need more fuel and you are in trouble if someone challenges you on your very few routes. But you can get good route image with a route specific campaign and could possibly grab business/first class passengers quite early on (with the necessary company image of course...).

4) Start with cargo? Challenging in a place like Gatwick where many other local airports exist. Cargo load factors depend on route image and they won't make much money in the first year or so. But at least you could grab cheap slots during night times, save passenger handling fees, cabin crew salaries, etc.

Nobody said it was easy. :)

Offline Royo1234

• Members
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2019, 07:39:56 PM »
Sooo, update. It turned out I had to declare bankruptcy. Time to try again.

Online Andre090904

• Members

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2019, 08:04:04 PM »
Good luck! Just ask here if needed.

Hint: Your routes to Agadir and Tunis won't work nicely. 110 demand, 4 flights. Expect about 25-30 passengers a day in your Super Connie (and that only after 1 year when your RI is at 100!). All your competitors use more economic planes such as Convairs or Viscounts. The route to Beirut is a much better choice. Unless you find better routes I am afraid you won't be more successful this time around.

Offline Royo1234

• Members
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2019, 08:04:44 PM »
It was using the easy start.. ?

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.