Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] Aircraft Range-Payload graphs seem way off in a lot of cases  (Read 311 times)

Offline DanDan

• Members
Below you can find a payload-graph for the B707-320B (the Standard-MTOW edition) for example. The aircraft consumes, according to AWS, an average of 11120kg of fuel per hour of flight.
Now theoretically, to ensure an additional hour of flight at MTOW, one would have to trade-off 11120kg of payload for an additional hour of flight. So an extra 460nm of range (cruise speed of the aircraft) would come at a reduction of the payload by about 11120kg. In AWS, the payload is only reduced by about 30% of that, 3275kg per 460nm.

The same situation with many other aircraft I gave a quick glance. DC8s, Lockheed Connies, 1-11, F27, ...

Or maybe there is a flaw in my logic?

p.s.: not even the second slope would reflect the fuel consumption, and therefore is too flat as well, it seems to me.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 03:32:46 PM by Sami »

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: Aircraft Range-Payload graphs seem way off in a lot of cases
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 03:32:40 PM »
The range/payload data is based on accurate data and flight manuals where available, and one shouldn't try to "reverse-calculate" these too much based solely on the average fuel consumption (shown to players for a/c comparison purposes) or similar.

Offline DanDan

• Members
Re: [-] Aircraft Range-Payload graphs seem way off in a lot of cases
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 04:57:52 AM »
but theoretically,, when or if it is based on such accurate data, it should be possible to reverse-calculate things. and i am not trying too much to find a discrepancy, but we are talking here about a factor of 4!

for the interested ones, basics on range-payload-charts:
https://leehamnews.com/2015/07/24/bjorns-corner-weight-or-fuel-limited-what-is-this-all-about/
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 05:03:29 AM by dandan »

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.