An148

Started by HybridX, April 07, 2019, 01:18:37 PM

HybridX

I know most Russian/Ukranian built aircraft aren't that popular due to high fuel usage and mx costs, but I was wondering about the An148. The numbers actually look quite good against  the E170LR for example; The An148 has a lower fuel burn, slightly higher pax count and a significantly lower purchase price. Downside is of course the lack of commonality.

What are your thoughts?

DanDan

Quote from: HybridX on April 07, 2019, 01:18:37 PM
I know most Russian/Ukranian built aircraft aren't that popular due to high fuel usage and mx costs, but I was wondering about the An148. The numbers actually look quite good against  the E170LR for example; The An148 has a lower fuel burn, slightly higher pax count and a significantly lower purchase price. Downside is of course the lack of commonality.

What are your thoughts?

there is a few experienced players who are very fond of the An148 actually and think of it highly.

Tha_Ape

Quote from: dandan on April 07, 2019, 08:11:39 PM
there is a few experienced players who are very fond of the An148 actually and think of it highly.

Gazzz...? You around? ;)

Edit:
Bar this joke, yes, the An-148 is completely viable. It mostly depends on your situation and possibilities.
If you can afford the E-Jet or MRJ or some other "Western" RJ, they will still be better. If however the prod line for these models is clogged for a decade, the price is high, etc., then better go for a much cheaper bird. The cheap purchase price will offset the slightly less interesting performance/maintenance.

gazzz0x2z

Sounds like I've been invoked.....

As Tha_Ape says, the A148 is a situational aircraft. Go that way only under a certain set of circumstances. As long as you're a big boy with enough cash to buy anything, you shall buy the best thing money can buy. Which is the Ejet. All other modern regional jets are inferior - but they all have their niche which makes the useful anyways - in the right set of circumstances. Bar the TU334 which is just useless. Run away from the TU334. Consider everything else in the category, even ARJs(though their uses are limited)

A148's niche is its insanely low price. Especially when you're the only one to go that way. When you can't afford to buy new ejets, what you spare by leasing those babies, even new, or even better purchasing them for trinkets, more than makes up for increased fuel, flight, maintenance and commonality costs.

First time I flew them, I was playing in Europe, and 148As were enough for 80% of my routes. I could secure them for a low price. I had hundreds of CRJ100s that were getting old, little too small, and were still costing me 50/60k$ per week in leasing costs. My weekly pretax was around 10M$. Counting the tax, I could either order new leased CRJ700s, or new owned A148s. And one can compare.

A148 has 2 more seats. Not bad, but not a game changer either.
A148 costs a few thousands more weekly in maintenance  + comm - compensated by insurance.
A148 costs 10/20k$ more in fuel, and the longer the distances, the worse. It's simply a plane never to fly beyond 1800NM. But CRJ does not go any further than 1800NM, so it's fair game.
Leased CRJ700s were costing me around 100k$ per week. Brand new owned A148s were costing me 7k$ weekly in depreciation(without cash loss). That's how I conquered Europe's regional market - with more than 700 A148s(before the ukrainian achievement was actually a thing :( )

Differences with Ejets would be even more impressive - in both directions. If you can actually pay the Ejet upfront, the difference in depreciation & insurance won't be enough to justify the A148. If owning Ejet is not within your capability, then leasing - or even better, owning - new A148s really can fuel your growth. The common wisdom to "buy new, lease old" does not apply to such dirt cheap planes(same with A140s, if you need something even smaller).

Of course, A148s has other drawbacks. Its larger(A158) version lacks range, and its cargo version(A148T) can't carry heavy cargo. It's heavier than its counterparts, which has an often overlooked effect upon flight costs. Still, as a growth plane, it absolutely kicks ass. If you're already big, play the big boy, and go EJet.