Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] Crew requirements  (Read 336 times)

Offline DanDan

• Members
[-] Crew requirements
« on: March 14, 2019, 10:40:45 AM »
Summary: Would be nice if the crew requirements would better reflect reality.

Current Situation, in theory: Currently the Crew requirements depend on
1) aircraft crew requirement,
2) aircraft size class and
3) -as i think i remember correctly- the MTOW and also
4) (which i only assume) the number of flights [not sure about this, but it seems personell demand goes up when i schedule more routes]

An example:
In GW4, i have an airline with 26 CRJ100. The Staff is in total of 130 Pilots and 64 attendants.
I am flying 26 AC at 14.7h per day in average. Makes 2675h per week of flying time. There is 64 or 65 crews available, which results in 41 to 42h per crew per week. Cancelled flights not included. Also not included are not pre-flight preparations and turnarounds. There is no training or staff meeting included and god forbid anyone gets sick or plans to go on vacation.
Sounds like someone should get a bonus for working overtime and i hope that no transportation-safety-agency checks on their work-schedule.

Desired Situation:
Maybe instead of counting planes, we should be counting flying hours & turnaround-times. That would also help reflect "bigger" aircraft groups with longer range flying overnight, so we could drop 2,3,4 out of the equation. and stick to 1, which is really the relevant number.

It would also help with alternative scheduling approaches and allow for the use of older aircraft in more selective schedules. Currently the goal is to keep planes in the air as much as possible, since HR costs basically are active as soon as the plane goes to the air once a week.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 10:50:22 AM by Sami »

Offline Zobelle

• Members

The person who likes this post:
Re: Crew Requirements
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 10:48:31 AM »
I’d like to add to this post a request for the option to furlough employees temporarily (up to 18 game months) and avoiding the massive CI hit involved in permanently terminating staff.

Perhaps a trade off for a much smaller CI hit in exchange for a portion of the labor costs still being paid as an “Unemployment Insurance” which I’m sure is already factored into social costs added to labor.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: Crew Requirements
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 10:49:34 AM »
It is an intentional choice that the system always assumes a "full schedule" on the plane so that you do not have to micromanage the staff numbers each and every time you do a small change in schedules. (The crew numbers represent a realistic overall number based on actual airline data.)

So no changes planned to these for now.

Offline DanDan

• Members

Re: [-] Crew requirements
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 11:30:08 AM »
Well, I am very very glad, that the developers go through each and every airplanes handbook to get the absolutely precise data on climb-rates depending on extra weight due to the humidity of the fur of the puppies in the plane's cargo bay!

Because thats the most important part about making the game more realistic and giving people choices in strategies! ::)

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 11:59:05 AM »
I am exactly aware what the development plan is and what areas are improved thank you very much.

(and p.s. having the crew requirements by exact flight hours I not realistic either since if you add flights you cannot just immediately hire new pilots and expect them to be ready to fly the next day. It takes months or more in the worst case, and the current system nicely takes into account that too, since usually there is a bit of over staffing in the anticipation of future growth)

Offline Zobelle

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 12:10:51 PM »
Glad I don’t use automatic hiring exactly for this overstaffing feature built into it.

Offline DanDan

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 12:22:47 PM »
(and p.s. having the crew requirements by exact flight hours I not realistic either since if you add flights you cannot just immediately hire new pilots and expect them to be ready to fly the next day. It takes months or more in the worst case, and the current system nicely takes into account that too, since usually there is a bit of over staffing in the anticipation of future growth)

well, maybe something that could be improved as well, to make hirings necessary like at least two weeks ahead of time. i know, its micromanagement, but thats what automatisation features can be useful for if one doesnt like it. to expand the HR into more than merely an infopage about costs of employees would certainly give choices. and i think the availability of choices is what matters in games.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members

The 4 people who like this post:
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 12:34:47 PM »
I've been thinking of sort of "crew pool" where you could hire pilots from flight schools who are ready to fly, or train them yourself (2 yrs) or something else, and if there are none then you couldn't expand. But very complicated ...

The overall idea of the staff systems is to give a good overall representation of a) staff costs and b) staff numbers, without going into too much detail or cause too much clickwork for the player.

Offline DanDan

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 12:39:04 PM »
I've been thinking of sort of "crew pool" where you could hire pilots from flight schools who are ready to fly, or train them yourself (2 yrs) or something else, and if there are none then you couldn't expand. But very complicated ...

The overall idea of the staff systems is to give a good overall representation of a) staff costs and b) staff numbers, without going into too much detail or cause too much clickwork for the player.

OK. Guess we just have to live with it! :laugh:

I am exactly aware what the development plan is and what areas are improved thank you very much.

About that, could we maybe get just a little insight, so we dont constantly nag at you on those issues?  :-[
Or (someone else) maybe even give you some valuable ideas...  ;)

Offline groundbum2

• Members

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 01:00:41 PM »
we've got a used plane market (well except in GW2) so how about a used flightcrew market ;-) Crash rates go up and down depending on the experience of those you hire... save a bit money.. suffer a few tail scrapes or worse...

Simon

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.