Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] additional training for pilots needed?  (Read 179 times)

Offline DanDan

• Members
[-] additional training for pilots needed?
« on: March 08, 2019, 10:24:45 AM »
Hi Sami!

I tried routing a flight from DOH to HND, and the direct course for the flight takes the plane
15h45min, Wind component: +2kts [I guess that means a tailwind of 2kts in average]

Since the payload is crappy, I needed to find a refueling stop and found URC. Via URC, the flight takes:
16h05min, including 25min for refueling, Wind components are +17kts / +30kts

So theoretically, if the aircraft does not refuel at URC, but just makes a touch and go - it would take 15h40min... 5 min shorter than if it would just cruise to HND. Also it is weird that an average wind on the direct route is 2kts tailwind, while on the separate sectors the average wind would be (about same length of sectors) 22kts tailwind.
It seems to me that either:
a) the wind calculations are really somehow off or
b) my pilots need some additional training to know how to get into better tailwinds ;)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 07:34:50 PM by Sami »

Offline Talentz

• Members
Re: additional training for pilots needed?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 12:06:14 PM »
Not sure if the wind currents are an avg in terms of historically or in real time, but...

This is pretty cool: https://earth.nullschool.net/

Maybe that gives you a better idea of what's going on?

Talentz
Co-founder and Managing member of: The Star Alliance Group™ - A beta era, multi-brand alliance.

Offline DanDan

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 12:17:57 PM »
Not sure if the wind currents are an avg in terms of historically or in real time, but...

This is pretty cool: https://earth.nullschool.net/

Maybe that gives you a better idea of what's going on?

Talentz

that is pretty cool, it doesnt explain though how the plane is faster with a stopover than without one ;)

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 07:34:45 PM »
The wind component calculation is based on each leg and is based on different (large) areas of the world, and on the total average bearing (rhumb line bearing) of the flight to see what areas it crosses. Calculation of this is checked and is correct.

Since there is only a handful of wind areas the longer individual flights might have different overall component. And since the techstop airport is somewhat north of the shortest great circle route it will get greater tailwind for the leg after techstop than flying direct (flies longer in the other wind sector of the model).

Works as intended (but the intention of the wind system is to give a global-scale representation of different winds and not to model every possible change).

Offline DanDan

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 07:50:02 PM »
The wind component calculation is based on each leg and is based on different (large) areas of the world, and on the total average bearing (rhumb line bearing) of the flight to see what areas it crosses. Calculation of this is checked and is correct.

Since there is only a handful of wind areas the longer individual flights might have different overall component. And since the techstop airport is somewhat north of the shortest great circle route it will get greater tailwind for the leg after techstop than flying direct (flies longer in the other wind sector of the model).

Works as intended (but the intention of the wind system is to give a global-scale representation of different winds and not to model every possible change).

means: the pilots just are not smart enough to check the weather and therefore fly with less tailwind/more headwind (on the shortest route measured by length) instead of the shortest possible route (timewise/fuel-consumption-wise)? because that is quite a lot of difference on the wind-component...

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.