Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Czechoslovakia question  (Read 603 times)

Offline Cornishman

• Members
Czechoslovakia question
« on: December 13, 2018, 10:50:03 PM »
Hi - could anyone please advise as to what happens to one of my alliance colleagues who is based in Prague in GW4 Czechoslovakia (it's 1984) He'd like to open at a base which we know will become Slovakia whilst Prague becomes Czech Rep.  Would he be closed down at any base which becomes Slovakian territory?

Offline APTamas

• Members
Re: Czechoslovakia question
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 08:21:47 AM »
Czechoslovakia splits in 1989, but from 1991 the open skies allows ut to open base in both of the two Czechoslovakian cities. I don't exaclty know what will happen in '89  :-\

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 07:50:42 PM »
I am assuming it goes by you HQ.  If your HQ is in Czech Republic, you will become a Czech airline, and will lose your Slovak bases, but you can then re-open them 2 years later...

I am not sure if there was any grandfathering clause in real life, but I am pretty sure there is nothing special program in AWS.

Offline Cornishman

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 08:05:07 PM »
I am assuming it goes by you HQ.  If your HQ is in Czech Republic, you will become a Czech airline, and will lose your Slovak bases, but you can then re-open them 2 years later...

I am not sure if there was any grandfathering clause in real life, but I am pretty sure there is nothing special program in AWS.

Thanks APT and JS ... we're hoping the friendliness of the separation was reflected in not being forced to lose any bases... I guess we need Sami to answer this one for certain.
J

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 08:14:32 PM »
Yup, as they say Czechoslovakia had a Velvet divorce after the Velvet revolution.

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 10:52:23 PM »

IIRC, USSR and Cz-Slo (also maybe Yugoslavia) are special, as you're not obliged to close your bases after the usual 2 year grace period.
I verified it at least in the case of former-Soviet non-Russian airlines keeping bases inside Russia deep into the 90s before going BK for non-base reasons in current GW#2.

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 11:35:36 PM »
If you don't get a warning when opening the base then you're probably in the clear as that warning was implemented after someone on Algiers got a nasty surprise...

Offline Cornishman

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 12:24:11 PM »
Thanks also Arthur and schro

It all adds up to... we "think" that there is no enforced closure of bases and we're probably 95% certain of this. I'd love to hear from Sami that it is 100% correct.

GrayAnderson

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 02:11:54 PM »
I was wondering about this sort of thing in general, since at the game start dates for many of the worlds (1950-1955), the number of countries on the map are a hair different from now.  On the one hand, the idea of getting thrown out of Africa is annoying...on the other hand, I can imagine it was at the time as well;-)

Of course, now I'm wondering when Rhodesia ceases to be considered part of the UK (i.e. at the UDI in 1965 or after Lancaster House in 1979/1980) since (without checking demand models) Harare/Salisbury would seem to be not-a-horrid-base for running a bunch of local flights within Africa if one is going to get "maxed out" within the UK vis-a-vis competition.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.